GO!

Good toys?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Riot

I think I see my- ball!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 7:42pm PST 
Hi everyone, I'm new here and not sure where to post this!!

We just adopted a year old Lab/border collie... I am having trouble finding toys she won't tear apart within seconds! She is a BIG chewer so I have been trying to get things that say "tough" etc. but she seems to chew right through them! Any ideas? I just bought her an expensive duck toy this morning that was supposed to be "unbreakable" and right now as I type she has ripped it in half!

Thanks smile
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 9:09pm PST 
Bumping to drown the spambots...again
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 9:09am PST 
Hi and congrats on your new addition! I also have a border collie lab, Benny smile

Benny's not a super strong chewer but I have dog-sat dogs in the past that could only have kongs and they were labradoodles!

Bennys favourite things include raw rib bones, squeaky balls(!!!!!) especially when thrown with a chuck it happy dance

Rib bones are great because they have oral care benefits, are a biologically appropriate treat and they last forever!
[notify]

Sophie

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 9:38am PST 
Kong toys have been good for my dog. For fetch I tried kong flyer safestix and wubbas. All these have held up for my dog. Star mark makes an everlasting treat ball which might be good for treat times. I also buy nylabones and jw pet makes some chew toys too. Petstages makes some strong toys too. They make rubber chew toys and frisbees. Their frisbee has been my dog's favorite toy and just had to replace it. Three years for a toy lasting in my house is a great thing. So check these out and see what works.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 9:47am PST 
My Huck was a very strong chewer. He chewed my couch, an electrical outlet right out of the wall, he chewed the outside of my house almost through to the inside and pulled out some insulation and the list goes on and on. Ringo did his share too but not so bad. I bought them the heavy duty kongs and they love them. They play tug of war with them and they are still in 1 piece and so far have lasted about 3 yrs. Also, about once a month I buy them each a new 18" cow bone.
[notify]
Riot

I think I see my- ball!

Barked: Sat Sep 21, '13 5:14pm PST 
Thanks guys, I bought this blue rubber bone type toy... It seems to be holding up pretty good so far smile
[notify]
Harley

Barked: Thu May 22, '14 4:20pm PST 
I would also recommend West Paw Designs zogoflex toys. We have tried the Hurley, Bumi and the Tizzi. They are very durable and a ton of fun!
[notify]
Onyx & Ruby

Two is Better- Than One!

Barked: Thu May 22, '14 7:44pm PST 
Try TUFF toys. They last FOREVER! I still have mine from five years ago! Tuffietoys.com
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Thu May 22, '14 9:06pm PST 
Vibram dog toys are really good. You may also want to look into a very large jolly ball. It is a favorite of many herding breeds and can be an alternative exercise to chewing.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri May 23, '14 4:40am PST 
Unfortunately I don't know the name of the toy exactly, but one very durable, hard wearing toy my dogs have is a Nylabone type ball thing. It actually looks a lot like a grenade! laugh out loud But is super, super tough. Bought it over 8 years ago for Tyler, and it's now in use all these years later by my new puppy way to go
[notify]