Assistance Dog travel into Italy

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??
Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 7:36am PST 
I'm gathering information on making a trip to Italy and want to make sure I know all there is to know about the allowances of assistance dogs in that country as well as other laws surrounding pets and importing an any be it an assistance animal or otherwise. I've been to the Miusa website and learn a lot there but I'm having trouble finding import guidelines and the like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Work hard; Play- harder.
Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 7:56am PST 
I'd contact the consulate or embassy as they are in the best position to tell you what the exact laws are (and give you statute info). That is what I did prior to heading to Korea.
SHADOW - RIP 14 June- 2014

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 8:14am PST 
http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/italy.cfm Also, I think your dog has to be from an ADI program. Italy falls under the European rules for pet travel and service dogs must come an ADI program.. You must have the pet travel passport .. Your dog will be quarantined for 4 days if you did everything right, but if you don't it can turn into 4 months.

Shadow Walker and Ailbe


Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 12:49pm PST 
Here is another web site that has been helpfully to me. http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_exports_pets. shtml
I thik England is the only one that requires your SD to be from ADI program other European Union countries don't. You don't need a pet passport (you can only get a pet passport if the owner of the dog has a citizenship in one of the EU countries). You will need international health certificate and get it USDA certified. Also make sure your dogs microchip is ISO compatible (most US microchips aren't). There is no quarantine if you comply with all the rules and regulations.
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??
Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 2:16pm PST 
They don't have to be "from a program" but just ADI certified.