GO!

New dog brought into home old dog wont accept it agression issues.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Buddy

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 8:00pm PST 
I am 18 years old and live with my mom of course. I have a job and am just starting college.
My mom has a 4 year old Rottweiler named Buddy he has been with us since he was 6 weeks old. Hes the "family dog" basically any dog that does not get along with Buddy has to go. A dumb rule in my opinion when its Buddy whos causing the poblems with the other dogs.
I brought in Chevy who is a female pit bull puppy.
Buddy accepted her just fine. They get along great.
Now i bring in Knockout a male pit bull who just turnt a year old in july buddy wants to bark at him growl at him try to intemidate him. Buy following him knowing knockout gets scared.
I told my mom my dogs arent going anywhere . She said if i cant find a way for Buddy to get along with knockout he has too leave.
So my question is how do i get these two to get along the proper way?
I have two weeks to get them too get along .
And i really dont want to get rid of knockout i refuse too.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 8:29pm PST 
Sounds like he is same-sex aggressive. You can try a behaviorist, or you can try to simply manage the dogs...don't let them be together at all. What I don't understand is why you would have gotten another dog knowing the first one doesn't get along with most others. Your mom is right. Her dog was there first, and shouldn't be kicked out just because you wanted a new puppy. Her house, her rules...and while you live there you should follow them.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 9:55pm PST 
What on earth are you thinking?
I'm sorry but you are 18, still pursuing an education and not yet moved out of your mothers home. You brought home one dog, that was silly but ok I get it. Now you bring home a second one? That crosses the line to irresponsible and foolish. Do you have any idea how tough it can be to find a rental with a dog? What is your plan for emergency vet bills? What if the dog(s) get sick? Or hurt? What about food? Who will take care of them while you are in school? And then at work?
Aside from that you have no right to even suggest that your mothers dog should leave! And that clearly demonstrates your maturity level. The rule in my house is last in, first out if there is a conflict. A dog is a lifetime responsibility not something you throw away because you want a new one. Your new dog needs to find a new home. In a few years when you see a cute puppy and Chevy decides she doesn't like it will you throw her away?
[notify]

Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 11:04pm PST 
I know it's not what you want to hear but... your mom's rule is valid. It's her home, her dogs come first. She is well aware of her dog's aggression issues, and for a dog as big as a Rottie it's going to be trouble. She sees the disaster waiting to happen and she has a life-long commitment to keep her dog happy and safe.

This is not a problem you would be able to fix in two weeks (or at all, if it is same sex aggression). You'll have to keep them separate at all times. Because if a fight breaks out, there's going to be A LOT of damage to both dogs. Introductions should happen slowly and at a distance, with a gate in between or both dogs on leash. Short intervals, both dogs getting treats for calm behavior around the other. Gaaah... it's kind of risky though... seeing a behaviorist or a trainer with experience in aggression would be your best bet.

Honestly, I would try to see if one of your friends would mind taking your dog until you are able to move out. And... Sabi is right, you're going to have a really tough time getting an apartment in the future with a pitbull, and a near impossible time finding one with two pitties (unless you have a pretty sizable income). Don't get me wrong, they're really lovely dogs and don't deserve their reputation, but many apartments/rental houses have bans on certain breeds if they allow dogs at all, and pitbulls are always on that list.

That's why I picked a smaller, uncommon breed of dog, because I'm only 24 and there will be many rentals in my future.

If you JUST got Knockout and are going to be living with your parents while you're in college... I'd re-home him. Chevy is plenty of dog for a busy college student who also works. I worry you won't have the time to take on this kind of challenge, and it would take your mother's time and cooperation as well to manage them both during training. Knockout might develop other behavior issues too if he is terrified of Buddy all the time, and it could affect his perception of new dogs he meets in the future. frown Sorry... there really isn't a quick-fix for this sort of thing...
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 1:29am PST 
I'm going to agree with everyone here, your mom's rule is definitely valid. Buddy was there first, and dogs brought into the home should be approved by him. I understand the desire to have a dog of your own, so I understand bringing Chevy into the mix (a younger female at least). However, bringing in a male pit bull into a home with a male Rottie who is known for being selective... that is incredibly foolish. Both of those breeds are prone to have same sex aggression and neither breed is known for backing from a fight (I know many lovely pits who love almost all dogs and they wouldn't start a fight but they're gonna try to finish one). It is asking for trouble that will probable escalate as Knockout gets older.

If you just got this second dog, I would try to send him back where you got him or rehome him to a friend or family member until you move out. I agree with Arya that pits definitely don't deserve the rep that they have, but it doesn't change that many rentals do have bans against the breed. Financially caring for two medium/large dogs is expensive to begin with, and bringing in a behaviorist would help but would be kind of expensive.
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 4:30am PST 
@Sabi when did i ever say Buddy should be the one to leave? I didnt .
And i am responsible enough for my age i get payed 700 each check and if i hit a bonus thats a extra 20.
Moneys not a problem.
They already have their vets their sticking to i already know when both have to go in again.
Im doing college classes online.
So yeah.
Im the one taking care of them not anyone else i bought their bags of food.
Their new collars and some toys and new bowls.
I can afford it.

Im going to re introduce them again after work today and see if it goes better this time.
And keep having them by eachother each day supervised for a certain amount. Of time i think that could also help.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 6:26am PST 
Buddy, I'm glad you feel financially secure but are both dogs spayed/neutered? Do you have money set aside for vet emergencies (which very well could happen if two of the dogs do not get along and are large dog that can do significant damage)? Have you gone through an obedience class with either dog? Even if the dogs know the basics, it's often recommended you do a class with the dog to help bond and also reinforce what your dog already knows and that's usually 80-140 bucks. I'm just saying that there are more costs than just updated shots and bags of food. My dog is fairly healthy and he was just at the vet for all his annual stuff, as well as as a retest for Ehrlichia since when we adopted him from the shelter he had this tick carried disease, and it cost over 300 bucks. I've been having a trainer coming out to help work with Crash's dog reactivity and have spent over 300 bucks on that in just over a month. Flea and tick preventative as well as heart worm preventative is expensive for two dogs.

I plan on getting a dog of my own in about a year or so, and I will be getting one dog only because I want to be able to spoil my dog and do a lot of classes like agility and nose work, possibly try tracking, and classes aren't cheap (for Nosework in my area it's 140-165 for 6 week sessions). But I think it is important for dogs to have something to do, and if I had 2 dogs I wouldn't be able to do that. Exercise is also why I would hesitate to get 2 dogs. My dogs aren't that high energy, but need about 45 minutes to an hour a day. Pit bulls are known for being extremely energetic and athletic, and I'm sure they'd both need at least an hour especially as young as they are. Especially with the rep that they have, every dog needs to be set up for as much success as possible with exercise and training. Fair or not, as a pit owner you are under more scrutiny than a beagle owner for example.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 6:26am PST 
I cannot emphasize enough just how terrible an idea this is.

It's your mom's house. Hers. Regardless of Buddy, you don't have a right to start bringing dogs in! My parents didn't want more than one dog in the house either. So you know what? I moved out. Which was hell, btw, and I don't even have Pits.

The fact that you think collars, leashes and toys are the major expenses of dog ownership show you're in for a rude awakening. As does the fact that you think a $700 paycheck is going to get you very far.

There is a very good chance of Knockout and Buddy ripping eachother apart. Especially if half the household is against the situation from the beginning. And on top of everything else, you've barely had Chevy for a week. You still don't know what's going on with her health, and you have no idea at all who she really is - you won't see that for another 6 months or so. FWIW, Pits can be indiscriminately dog aggressive, even with dogs they were raised with. Hopefully it won't happen, but there is a decent chance you'll end up with 3 dogs who can't be near eachother.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 6:30am PST 
You have to keep in mind that some dogs just don't like each other, and that's that. So even if you do everything possible to get them to coexist, it may not happen. So, you'll be stuck living a life of management to prevent fights from breaking out. That's no fun.

That's why when bringing in another dog, you should have your dogs meet on neutral territory before committing to it. So, do try to get them to coexist, but also realize that it may not work out either. And trying to force it isn't fair to you, your mom or your dogs.
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 8:12am PST 
@Lenny yes my mom and i had gone over that before i even brought dogs in.
She reminded me to set money aside just incase anything happens to Chevy or Knockout.
And ive been doing so before i even got these dogs i prepared myself financially.
They both are in good health right now which is really good.

@Ember my mom had never said they couldnt be more dogs in the house she doesnt care.
As long as they arent destroying or ruining anything and all get along. Chevy is fine i. Did check in with her vet spoke to him and it was the sudden change in diet.
I already have a friend in the family i contacted earlier today who works with dogs who is willing to come out and work with buddy and knockout.
Buddy has been in training with Sit Means Sit.
And the person whos coming to help is the same person who worked with buddy.
Knockout shows no aggresion hes just happy all the time and approaches buddy in a happy. Matter.
Cesar Millan actually taught these people from sit means sit so i know buddy and knockout are in good hands.
Also may i remind you i am in college and just turnt 18 and have a stable will paying job i am doing very well .
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4