GO!

How talkative is your dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lulu

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 7:31pm PST 
Vetstreet just came out with this list of the 12 most talkative dog breeds:

1- Beagle
2- Miniature Pinscher
3- Pomeranian
4- Chihuahua
5- Alaskan Malamute
6- Siberian Husky
7- American English Coonhound
8- Miniature Schnauzer
9- Basset Hound
10- German Shepherd
11- Yorkshire Terrier
12- Bloodhound

Anybody agree or disagree with this list?

Christie from Life With Beagle

PS: My critique is here: http://www.lifewithbeagle.com/2013/08/beagles-most-talkative-dog-bre ed-no.html snoopy
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 4:20am PST 
Kali is my most talkative dog. She has a list of yips, yaps, whines and yodels. When she wants something or doesn't like something I'm doing to her, starts her serenade. She's especially loud when she gets what she thinks is too far away from us on a hike. I think she wants us to hurry up. We could never lose her in the mountains. We hear her yodeling for us. laugh out loud
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 4:33am PST 
I have a Weim and a Shepard mix, they aren't that talkative.
[notify]

Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 5:12am PST 
My GSD must be an anomaly. She's practically silent.
[notify]
Leo

i ♥ my ball

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 7:35am PST 
I'd have to add shih-tzu to your list. My shih-tzu Radar, is very very talkative. Makes the weirdest noises..
blue dog
[notify]

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 11:21am PST 
I have a beagle/pug mix that only talks when he has to go out to the bathroom (doesn't shut up till you take him). Other then that, not a peep. My mom has a GSD/Lab mix who talks ALL the time! Everything is a conversation ...
[notify]
Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 5:43pm PST 
shrugshrugshrug
I'm wondering if by "talkative" they simply mean barky?
Because, by my definition of "talkative", my beagle is the LEAST so of my 3.

Cobain and Rigby sound like a pack of deranged animals when they want something.
(Cobain's Aroooo roo roo, and Rigby's seal like ow ow ow).
Cobain especially has quite the wide array of "talking" sounds he makes depending on what he wants.

But Oz? Aside from when he's on the hunt, I barely hear a sound from him. And again I would consider it more of a bay or bark opposed to "talking"
shrug
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 5:56pm PST 
Most of Onyx's talking is back talking laugh out loud Usually grumbling when I tell him to do something he doesn't want to do, like when he wants to chase the cat while we're eating dinner and I tell him to lie down and behave. Or if I make weird/annoying sounds at him, he'll talk back at me in what I'm pretty sure is dog for "Shut up, would you?!"
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 6:06pm PST 
Clyde doesn't vocalize much at all outside alert barking.

Louie on the other hand...
He will softly whine when he wants something and get louder if he is not acknowledged.
His voice is LOUD. He is the only dog whose bark always makes my ears hurt.
He has several different barks and a few growls used to talk at us during playtime.
He will woof, growl, and alert bark like many dogs.
He has a special bark for when he is frustrated and will make the most hilarious crying sound if he is trying vent "quietly".
He can do three different vocalizations on command, even though we have been a bit lazy with training him. (He just loves to make noise!)
...and more that I can't list off the top of my head. Louie is quite the talker, but isn't the most vocal dog I've met either.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 6:34pm PST 
Neither of mine is super talkative, but they do have their sounds that they make in certain situations. smile

Ava gets loud with her husky-like "Oww-row-row" and "Waaa-waa" when we're pulling in to our former neighborhood and would ask her "Where's Baby!?" (the neighbor's Yorkie) It got to the point where we could ask her any dumb question and get a bunch of funny noises out of her. She'd only do it while we were driving down the street to the end of the culdesac though. Or sometimes when we were arriving at a park, if we asked her about the squirrels she would start "talking"

In the pet store or at the vet's office she's obnoxiously noisy with a higher-pitched yap that she does to beg for attention. She ADORES vets. shrug

She's very growlly about suspicious people or noises (but it's all an act)

When my husband gets goofy BOTH the dogs will bark at him.

Nix does this really cute howl which sometimes follows a big yawn...He yawns for EVERYTHING. Stress signal or not. He yawns when he's stressed, when he's excited, when he's hungry, you name it... Unfortunately he doesn't always do a cute howl when he yawns and sometimes it's more of an annoying ear-piercing whine. I've tried praising the howl in hopes that he'll learn. The frequent yawning is annoying, but if it can't be stopped then at LEAST I wish he'd do that cute howl more than the annoying whine. laugh out loud

ETA:
Oh, also when Ava is bored or begging for us to move over and give her a spot on the couch (yes, she does this...) she'll stand there and stare at us and make these little grumbles. "Grrr... Hmmm... Grr... Grrrrr... Hmmm..." until we move. laugh out loud It's actually more adorable than it sounds. (But if we really don't want to move we either tell her to go away, or she eventually gives up on her own.)

She's a bit more talkative than Nix.

Edited by author Mon Sep 9, '13 6:37pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2