GO!

Your sevice dog can be off leash!

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Jethro

Everybody's- Friend

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 1:58pm PST 
If you would like to have your service dog off leash go to www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm and read "Service dogs must be under control". Don't mess this up for the rest of us your dog does have to be under control.
[notify]
Dexter

I only eat- cereal- killers...

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 2:10pm PST 
Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.

I'm sorry, but they can only be off leash if there is a serious need for them to be. It's not an "All service dogs can be off leash" thing.
[notify]
SHADOW - RIP 14 June- 2014

BORN TO SERVE

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 9:38am PST 
Shadow is off leash when I'm grocery shopping... He's under complete control with my movements. It helps that he just walks behind the cart for I can stop and get items off the shelf w/out dropping his leash all the time. He's been doing it now for 8 1/2 yrs and he stays put. Ailbe isn't ready for that kind of work yet and hopefully one day he can work behind the cart and be off leash...

Shadow Walker and Ailbe
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 12:24pm PST 
If sadie was a lil better behaved and less wild I would. She is well behaved on leash though and in the house and some what out side but not a lot.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 6:32am PST 
I would love to have Sadie off leash. I have gotten her trained to task for so much stuff and she has trained me lol for a lot of stuff I did not think I needed her for.
This would be a lil more easyer for me if I could feel comfortable with her off leash. It is not that I don't trust her so much now but that i don't trust people. Even here on her run people seem to feel it is ok to come up with out asking and pet her. Sadie is 24/7 SD though most of her work is like down time and fun time for her. It is easy going work and sometimes she gets to go for walks out with friends. That is the best of it I think for her cause she then truely is off duty. I ask my friends for the most part to not allow people to pet her. Because I don't like people I don't know petting her less I personally am there. I have read a lot of peoples post on here about this and in the past and sometimes I still do allow people to pet sadie.
I have found that sometimes Sadie dose not like being petted and that is very strange for Sadie. Most the people I let walk Sadie are people I know and Sadie loves them, but I have recently had trouble with one of them that I thought I could trust and found them un trust worthy. (he was encuraging Sadie to be aggressive to people and other animals) I handled it by explaining to him the Federal law about SDs and that he could not walk Sadie any more. I have seen many dogs of Sadie's breed and also pits off leash and I am fearful that some would get the wrong idea about Sadie. Sadie's breed is so close to the PIT breed and she herself has been mistook by one. The fear factor of people have and can make Sadie reactive and I avoid that, on leash I can control it better.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 11:57pm PST 
No, it can't unless it is performing a specific task. The ADA states that a dog must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 5:28pm PST 
I am not planning it anyway cause I like having sadie near me. I don't trust people more then I don't not trust Sadie. She is very well behaved lately but People are scarey.
[notify]