GO!

A Paw in the Door?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 5:18pm PST 
Hello Raw Foodies! wave

I have been a kibble feeder since Firefly was a wee pup, and over the years we moved from Purina Puppy Chow, up to Fromm's grain free. I've been giving it a lot of thought, and since I've turned 18 and have a part time pet sitting gig, I was thinking about incorporating raw into Firefly's diet, and have only a vague idea of how to begin. I was still hoping to keep about 50% of her diet kibble, and 50% raw, so that I can start transitioning Firefly easily, and lessening the stress on my pocket, so I figured a could do a raw-kibble rotational. When I head off to college, I am hoping my work study pay will also help my mom feed Firefly raw meals. I am really looking into to this with an open mind and I'm all ears!

I know a lot of raw feeders probably don't do kibble and raw, but what are thoughts on that? Is it plausible to do both? If so, what are some tips, informational web sites, and thoughts on raw? smile I would love to know.

But, the kibble-raw rotational will be just for a few months until I can save up money. But I also want to transition Fly slowly so she doesn't completely reject the raw. We are putting a paw in the door to raw feeding, and I'd love to know more. I'd also like to hear some stories/experiences you guys had switching to raw.

smile Very interested to hear any thoughts on how I should approach this new diet!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:48pm PST 
Try looking through Chance's primer on raw feeding, loads of good stuff in there.

For right now you could offer a beef rib or pig foot for a nice big chewy meal every week or so. Count on throwing away most of the rib bone and who knows what will happen with a pig foot. Max chews them for ages and it looks unchanged yet the towel will have a round bone he extracted somehow.

You could make dehydrated liver or liver brownies for treats to get him used to thinking organs are a wonderful deal instead of essential to the diet.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:55pm PST 
Definitely agree with reading through Chance's Beginner's Guide to Prey Model Raw. Great source of information, especially if you're new to raw and looking to switch.
[notify]

Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 7:27pm PST 
Thanks guys! Definitely will check it out!
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 11:54am PST 
I switched Hank from kibble to raw about 2 months ago. I'm 100% raw for him but I weaned him over. I started by just tossing a few pieces of chicken into his kibble for several days then adding ground beef for several days. I gave him a raw chicken leg bone to chew on while I was making dinner one night. I just slowly kept giving him less and less kibble and after a couple weeks he was on 100% raw. He is doing extremely well on it, his coat is super shiny and smooth and I love that he only poops once a day now smile
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 1:14pm PST 
Depending on your location, you may find that 100% Raw is around the same price as 100% Fromm...

My budget for my dog is $1 per pound. She is 60 lbs and eat between 1 and 1.5 lbs. per day. I target around $75 per month.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 1:22pm PST 
Right now, Kitsune is on a combination of kibble and raw. Since Kitsune has bad food allergies and can't eat any poultry at all, raw is expensive for us. We're having some financial issues right now, so until we get things back to normal again I decided to switch him from 100% raw to a combination of raw and high quality, grain free, kibble/canned foods.

The combination has been working fine for us - no issues. I personally usually feed kibble in the morning, and then either raw or canned food in the evenings. He ends up getting anywhere from 50% to a bit less of raw a week, depending on what I have available to give him.

I make sure to give him a RMB at least once a week to help keep his teeth nice and clean. Plus he really enjoys them.

shrug Maybe not ideal but it's been working for us. I'm planning on switching him back to full raw when I can, but for now I'd rather give him partial raw then none at all.
[notify]
Cookies 'n'- Creme- (1998-2011)

Heart of a lion,- soul of a lamb

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 6:00pm PST 
I fed Cookie mostly kibble and some raw when I could spare some. Or when Treader refused something. Cookie would eat almost anything.

They say not to feed raw and kibble at the same meal, and I always followed that. But I've seen at least a couple of people do that with seemingly no problems. So, like feeding dairy products, it may be a know-thy-dog thing.
[notify]