GO!

Broken tooth? Should we be worried?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 6:26am PST 
Hello, my wife and I have a lovely 2 year old black lab named Rowan. This morning we realized that one of his front teeth looks broken or chipped. Is this something we should take him to vet for? Does the tooth need to have any work done or risk infection/loss? Here are some pictures so you can see-

Rowan's tooth

Rowan's tooth

Rowan's tooth

Edited by author Sat Jan 19, '13 6:28am PST

[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 1:01pm PST 
Definitely mention it at your next exam. Just keep an eye on it because if it becomes infected, you may notice swelling in the face. If that happens, take your dog in right away
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '13 1:56pm PST 
Nice pictures btw. It may cause some pain. Watch and wait. Next time your at the vet mention it. Eventually it may need to be removed
[notify]

Dexter

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 6:12am PST 
I am a human Dental Hygienist and from the looks of your very detailed pictures the tooth seems to have had a large enough piece break off to expose the nerve of the tooth, that's why it looks brownish in the center. It almost looks as though there may even be a small verticle facture line on the front of the tooth as well (could also just be a lighting glare). As obviously dog dentistry is not the same as human dentistry I would maube just observe it closely for now. If the nerve of the tooth is exposed this can cause pain, sensitivity or infection. Observe the area daily for gum or facial swelling or a blister like sore on the gums above this tooth. These would all be signs of infection. My puppy at least ever seems to chew on his front teeth, I don't know if yours does but I would say see his he avoids using that area when chewing toys and things cuz that could indicate tenderness or pain in that area. If you notice any changes I would go to the vet or better yet a doggy dentist. I live in a big city and we actually have doggy dentists! I've never been there tho but I've read they are super expensive but they do offer restorative treatments like fillings and crowns where as most general vets just remove problem teeth. But if you would consider going to a doggy dentist to repair the tooth id skip the observation period and go sooner rather than later. If you leave it and it does get infected extracting the tooth will likely be your only option. Hope that helped you out smile
[notify]
Star

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:28am PST 
The last post was very good. I know in the past, I have had a dog break a tooth. But the nerve was not a problem. I just had the vet look at it each time and after a few years, the tooth ended up being pulled.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:01am PST 
Toto broke that exact same tooth several years ago. My vet recommended the "watch it" approach. So far, so good and it looks EXACTLY the same today as it did when it first occurred. They also questioned a possible fracture (verticle) on the back down under the gum line, but treatment was the same, watch and if there are issues, they will pull it.
[notify]
ROSCOE

The World Is My- Playground

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:16pm PST 
Great Advice Dexter. My daughters Malinois cracked a back molar and to prevent future jaw problems had to have a root canal to the tune of $1,700.00. Yes dental work is expensive! He can no longer chew on anything that has fuzzies, Like a tennis ball, no more bones, antlers, bullies and only rubber toys that are soft enough to push your finger in easily. So please keep an eye on the tooth and don't let him have anythiong that he can chew, rip or pull on and keep us posted.hug
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:36pm PST 
You surely have to tell your vet about it. Especially as it could get infected. Keep a close watch on your dog's tooth just so you'd know if it has gotten infected (hopefully not) or otherwise.
[notify]