GO!

getting a second dog.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 3:34pm PST 
There is a rescue puppy I am looking into, so I was just wondering if anybody has any pointers, I am afraid of Mika getting jealous and she is my baby, I want her to be happy so if anyone has any input on getting a second dog, I could use the advice, Thanks.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 4:49pm PST 
With Bunny, I supervised his interaction with Princesse for quite awhile and separated them when I wasn't home. He is a very jealous doggie as wellwink It may be cliche, but I fed him first, paid attention to him first when I got home from work and kept his routine the same as much as possible. I must have done something right because he tolerates her, at leastlaugh out loud
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:11pm PST 
Take Mika with you to meet the rescue dog. Then you will know if they "can" get along before you bring him/her home. Once you do decide, take Mika with you when you pick up the pup. When we got Koby, we drove all the way to New Jersey to get him and we took both Jax and Kali with us. That way the dogs meet on neutral territory and not on home turf. How old is the rescue? Is it a female or male? When you do bring the pup home, make sure you give Mika an escape if she needs it. Sometimes an only dog can be overwhelmed by a new addition, esp. if its a lively pup. You can also, give Mika some special Mika time with you. Please keep us posted. We would love to see pictures if it works out. Good Luck!
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:53pm PST 
Sophie has been the ultimate velcro dog since we adopted her. That's why we didn't even consider a second dog for quite some time. I worried about her being jealous too. It's suggested that opposite gender and something of an age difference in the dogs makes things easier.
We lucked out that Sophie and Callie got along great from first meeting. They both have the same play style which helps alot. It's also nice that Callie enjoys being with my husband, sitting in his lap watching the game etc. That means Sophie gets Mommy time. I also walk them separately.
It's easier that way, they each get private time with me. Plus Callie stops to sniff every bush and Sophie is full speed ahead. Gives me time to appreciate each individually. Best of Luck to You!little angel
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:53pm PST 
Kali, I always love and respect what you have to say thank you so much. She is a female Husky, they say she looks about 20 weeks or so, she was brought in with 3 of her sisters as well, I would take them all if I could. She really took me though when I saw her pic. I always keep an eye on pups and their stories of coming in shelters. I think taking Mika with me is a good idea. Another concern I have is Mika likes to sleep on the couch and kind of keep an eye on things instead of sleeping in bed with us all the time but i know I can't just leave the pup with her out in the living room all night, and i'm so worried that she will get jealous if I bring the new pup in the room with me, but she really just prefers to sleep on the couch....what would I do in that situation? And I would prefer not to have to use a crate.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:54pm PST 
Bunny thank you for the great advice as well! I will make sure Mika still knows she is my princess thats for sure
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 6:57pm PST 
I was thinking walking them separately would be best also Opheila especially because Mika likes the speed walk thing and we usually stay out for a lonnnnng time and the pup wont be able to do that at first....so good idea. And like you said then they will each get their own time with me.....there is nothing Mika loves more then our walk so I think if I keep that between her and I she will be happy
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 7:04pm PST 
Oh and no worries there will be lots of pics if I get her. And thank you everybody for answering my questions and the good luck wishes smile
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 4:00am PST 
I know you said you don't want to use the crate, but it might be a good idea at least until Mika fully accepts the puppy. It would only be temporary. Good Luck and can't wait for some pics. smile
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 5:25am PST 
ok thanks Kali it is something I should probably consider. way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6