GO!

Shorty's tummy issues. Advice?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Shorty

Bring the ball- back? Why?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:56am PST 
Shorty (3.5 Lbs) started his list of pet visits last week on Monday. We found out he had been substituting his chew sticks for meals instead of eating. The vet has him on Prescription Diet canned I/D Gastrointestinal. He's been eating it but what happens is he'll eat a day or two then wont, then he will again. And when he doesn't he's sick. The diarrhea is mostly gone, so we've mostly got vomiting. I have to keep him hydrated myself with an oral syringe. My vet suggesting giving him about 1.25 mg of pepcid but I have NO way to make that happen over-the-counter. (They don't make 5mg tablets OTC.)

Has anyone else with a tiny pup or chihuahua had this problem? I'd like to try everything I can before spending oodles of money on tests.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:16am PST 
My Jewel is about 9lbs and when I first got her from the SPCA I had trouble with her not eating. She's also got a whole burping/air licking thing going on.

I don't fully understand your dog's issue...is it that he gets sick when he doesn't eat? He's okay when he does eat? Is there something else as well?

I found that Jewel ate regularly when I got her on a grain-free diet. I can feed her food with grain as long as it's not corn, that gives her the runs.
[notify]
Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:54am PST 
Yes. So long as he eats he's fine. But I can't figure why he eats one day or two and then doesn't the next. It baffles me. And I haven't called the vet yet (again) because I can't afford to keep going in and get told the same thing. So I'm going to see how the rest of the week goes before I do that. See if I can either get him eating on his own for more than two days or at least keep track of the pattern.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:04am PST 
Okay and he's just being fed a canned food you buy at the vet clinic? Has he been eating that the whole time you've had him? If not what was he like on other foods and why did he end up on this one? Also what's his poop like on this canned food, soft or firm.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:19am PST 
How much are you feeding your pup? Amount? Frequency?

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 11:21am PST

[notify]
Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:07pm PST 
JEWEL: When I got him he was on a Purina prescription dry food "Gastroenteric". He liked it. When I ran out I tried two different grain-free foods that he didn't touch. Taste of the Wild and Petsmart's Authority Grain-free. His poop is kind of in the solid and soft.

LILY: I feed him about a tablespoon and a half every three hours. He has never eaten much. My vet wants me to "fatten him up" so he can bounce back if he gets sick again. Of course I need him to eat for more than a few days in a row at a time.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:26pm PST 
Is your pup eating everything every three hours or are you just offering food every three hours? Have you tried feeding less, like a just a tablespoon per feeding? Eating less more often may help.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:27pm PST 
Have you tried going back to the old food he did like?

Every three hours works out to be how many meals a day? I would suggest cutting out one meal and spreading out the others a little more so come meal time he's feeling hungry.

ETA- Cutting back on amount per meal would have the same effect like Lily suggested.

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 12:29pm PST

[notify]
Shorty

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 12:51pm PST 
I've been thinking that too. Today I cut him down to a tablespoon. And I would like to go back to the old food he liked but its vet prescribed only. My vet wants me to get him to eating "kibble" again. And she suggested the Science Diet brand for puppies. I just haven't picked anything up yet because I see no point switching his food yet if he's not eating consistently.

EDIT: Yes he is eating when I offer the food. Today.

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 12:53pm PST

[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 1:07am PST 
I know how upsetting it can be when your dog doesn't want to eat. There are a lot of reasons why a dog may not want to eat. How are you judging your dog's appetite? Don't go by the guidelines on the can. Dogs only need about 60% of what the recommendations state. When a dog doesn't want to eat at all, this is anorexia. It's not the same as anorexia nervosa in humans. You need to get your dog to the vet. He is very small and not wanting to eat is very serious. Most dogs have no problem going a few days without food. There are a lot of reasons he may not be wanting to eat. I'd suspect illness first. Decreased appetite often indicates a dog is not feeling well. However, this is not always the case. Was he recently vaccinated? Vaccines can cause a dog to not want to eat. But, they are necessary!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4