GO!

I feel petty for asking this but... is it bad meat?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 8:32am PST 
I accidentally left an airtight container of frozen meat out all night last night. ;n; I found it this morning and immediately put it back in the freezer.

Can I still feed this to my dog?
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 11:32am PST 
If it wasn't on it's way out when it went into the freezer and didn't sit for an extended time at room temperature after thawing I'm sure it's fine. If it smells when you defrost it on purpose next time I'd toss it, though.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:22pm PST 
If it was still cold when you put it back into the freezer it is fine.

I defrost meat/bony meat/organ, repack into smaller containers and refreeze all the time.
[notify]

Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 9:51pm PST 
My dogs love old meat that is slightly ripe. As long as it doesn't make me start to gag, they get it...outside. I don't feed them this kind of thing regularly though - but when I make an oops or get free food from hunter/farmer friends I don't worry about it too much. Never had any digestive issues (well, the first time Tika ate elk it was slightly ripe smelling and it made her fart...but then again a first time on a rich protein).

I wouldn't worry too much though.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:48am PST 
my two got into rancid raw turkey bones that had been in a seald ziploc for removal to the dumpster. These things were flat out green, and SOMEONE who was supposed to take it out didn't do it when I asked and forgot about it and went to bed. Next morning, there were rotten reeking stains on the floor and ripped plastic everywhere, and two very guilty dogs. Not that I would have ever given them rotten food on purpose, but they didn't have so much as a loose stool. Lots of gray bone stool though. I have efficient little scavengers with . . .I guess Iron stomachs wouldn't be far off.

I don't think we have to worry about foodborne illness with dogs the way we have to be concerned about it in people. My dogs pretty much show me every day that their stomachs can stand up to quite a bit of yuck that would put us in the hospital.

In other news, today they got into a 4 day forgotten in the car because it rolled under the seat serving of coleslaw from a trip to Long John Silvers. They found it sometime while I was waiting in line to vote. No problems.

Edited by author Wed Nov 7, '12 1:52am PST

[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 5:08am PST 
When you're feeding the dogs and cats leftovers you have to weigh-
Would you as a human eat it?
and
These are critters happy to find treats from the garbage...
As long as something is still pretty much frozen though I'd think it was safe
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 3:59pm PST 
"would I as a human eat it?"

I'm sorry Ophylia, but I don't agree with that statement & I'm not sure that most other RAW feeders would either... I wouldn't eat hardly anything that I feed Presley (except the sardines & raw eggs, yummy!) & that's because
I AM NOT A DOG!!
Canines can eat roadkill for instance without any problem & I'm pretty confident that the food she thawed & then refroze will be just fine...
If anyone disagrees with this plz let me know.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 4:09pm PST 
I do have a comfort level however. There is a limit as to how long I can stand meat going back into the refrigerator. I try to plan his stuff so meat only stays in there about 3-4 days at the most.

He has never been indisposed because of stinky meat but I dislike having it around. I have tossed bulging plastic wrapped organs and fuzzy ground stuff but fed gizzards that didn't smell right and greenish slimy pork.
[notify]