GO!

Question about Natural Balance

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 3:50pm PST 
Hi..I am new here..I am thinking about switching my dog to this, but have some concerns about their recent recalls...anyone have any insight into this or reasons why they still feed NB/chose to switch?
Thanks!big grin
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 2:03pm PST 
This is not the first time that they have been involved in a recall. I remember two other times as well. Just mentioning this to let you know that maybe they do not learn from their history.....
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 6:31pm PST 
That is a good point...is there a better LID with lamb that you would suggest? Must be safe to feed a 6 month puppy...he may not have food allergies per se but has a very sensitive tummy so this was suggested to us by the vet. He did well when he first came home on Nutro chicken and lamb, but after wanting to switch to something better (Merrick Puppy and Merrick duck grain free) he has had loose bloddy stools. He was transitioned properly and is free of parasites. confused
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 9:11pm PST 
California Naturals has a LID lamb/rice puppy food, if you're willing to overlook the whole P&G thing.

Acana has a Lamb/apple formula that would probably be ok (if you can get it, there are some shortages), and Earthborn Holistic has a grain free lamb that also looks pretty good.

If it doesn't have to be lamb specifically I think you would have more options. Lots of brands use lamb in combination with other things, or have fish/duck/etc formulas that would likely work just as well.

Maybe consider something like Holistic Select, which isn't the greatest food either, but its lathered in probiotics, which may help get him regular again. Once he's back to normal maybe go from there in finding something better that his system can handle.
[notify]
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 4:06am PST 
My dogs used to be on natural balance and we never had problems with it but I switched them to find something a little better for them. After we got our puppy, Sparkles, we had a really hard time finding a food that she could do well on. Seemed like every food we put her on, after a couple weeks her stools would get loose (even bloody at one point), she'd get extra itchy, or she would start losing some hair. We found Taste of the Wild at our local tractor supply. It's grain free and there's a couple different verities that would probably work for you. My dogs have all been on it for a couple months now and they've never been so healthy. Especially my little Sparkles. I know some people avoid it because its produced by Diamond but I swear its a wonderful healthy food.
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 10:23am PST 
We had mixed results with Taste of the Wild. Plus all foods made by or manufactured by Diamond have given some of my dogs horrible gas. We are currently feeding Horizon foods and the dogs like it and do well on it. We prefer the Horizon Legacy, but have also used Horizon Pulsar. They also make a small breed food called Amicus, but we haven't used it.

Fromm makes good foods too and is also an excellent company. The guys at the pet food store we buy from recommend Horizon and Fromm above all the other foods. They do everything they can to discourage people from feeding anything made by Diamond, even though they sell it.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 5:00pm PST 
Joey has a sensitive stomach, and we think possibly acid reflux, plus possibly allergies - though not sure if they are food or inhalent. I am currently feeding him Canine Caviar and having fairly good results, at least in the stomach department. It is lamb and millet. It's not cheap, and it's also not widely available in stores, but I think it's a pretty good food if you're looking for a limited ingredient diet. Millet is supposed to be one of the grains that is least allergenic. I'm not crazy about feeding any grain, but Joey always seems to get constipated on the grain-free/low-carb kibbles I've tried him on, so I'm beginning to think that grain-free is not for him.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 6:14pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions...from what I am seeing, it seems like despite the P&G purchase, the Cal Naturals still seems to be OK..anyone else use it? The Acana looks great but seems like right now it would be hard to find, so the 2 other pssobilities are Cal Nat and Wellness Lamb. Any preference between the 2?thinking
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:33am PST 
Probably the Cal Nat, seeing as how Wellness apparently just recalled another limited batch of food for potential mold issues.
[notify]
Winston

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 12:41pm PST 
My dogs had been on Natural Balance for most of their lives. I chose it because it was limited ingredient and I have one dog with gluten intolerance and another with severe food allergies. After all the recalls and weight gain from my pug I decided to switch them and it was one of the best things I ever did. Natural Balance is mostly potatoes and not enough protein for most dogs. I switched them to Nature's Variety Instinct. It's a grain free food and they have LIT lamb. http://www.naturesvariety.com/ CHeck it out, you can get a coupon for your first bag too. My dogs have more energy, food allergies have lessoned, and they both have lost weight!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2