GO!

Orijen shortages: alternatives?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 6:54pm PST 
Luckily I'm not out of food yet, but I just heard about the Orijen shortages due to their kitchen fire. Don't know if it was hot news a week ago, and I'm hoping a bag will be on the shelf when I need it. But in case they don't, does anyone have any equal alternatives for Orijen? The boys eat the fish formula, and Theo's never had grain in his life, so if I had to buy another food, it would have to be high protein/fat. Our doggy boutique owner suggested Fromm. Anyone tried it/ liked it?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 6:58pm PST 
I'd probably go with Wellness CORE fish if I was looking for a 6 Fish replacement. Numbers are closer than the Fromm.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 7:11pm PST 
my cats eat Fromm and do great on it, but this is the first I have heard about a shortage on Orijen. My Saint eats it and I just got a 15 lb bag from petfooddirect, and I just checked they do have 15 lb bags in stock. K9cuisine.com also has it. Thanks for the info though, I am off to buy another bag!
[notify]

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 7:50pm PST 
Yeah, apparently they had a kitchen fire that took out their dryer, which had to be imported from a factory in Germany. I'll take a look at wellness! :] Thanks!
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 10:36am PST 
Horizon Legacy has a fish formula. It is a great food. Horizon is a small Canadian company that has their own manufacturing facility and sources their ingredients locally. We feed Horizon Legacy regular adult formula. Haven't tried the fish formula yet, but plan to in the near future. The store I buy food from recommends Horizon foods very highly. It is their #1 choice and recommendation.
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 11:13am PST 
If it doesn't have to be Grain Free, I use the Go! Sensitivity Salmon.
[notify]
Chocolate

Benjamin Button- of dogs

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 11:31am PST 
EVO would be the closest.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 9:29am PST 
Darford. VERY comparable to Orijen except they use chickpeas instead of potatoes.
http://darford.com/products-list/?lineid=2
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 7:17pm PST 
there's a darford shortage as well (at least the fish formula).
[notify]
Ringo

Rapid Fire!

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 8:18pm PST 
Yes, Evo is definitely the closest. I am in the same boat as you and am actually considering switching to Evo permanently!
[notify]