GO!

My sanity!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Sun

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 9:36pm PST 
My new pup is a little demon - The worst thing is the constant yipping and howling. He does it every time he goes in his crate in the daytime. At bedtime he is quiet and goes to sleep when the lights are out.
He NEEDS some downtime in crate throughout the day though. I just can't keep up with him otherwise, and I have to be able to do my work too.

It's been a week and the noise is not showing any signs of stopping. When can I expect the end to be near? And is there anything I can do to "help" him? Today I gave him a yummy pumpkin chew hoping that he would settle right down, instead he made loud whining noises as he devoured it! confused
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 9:24am PST 
Have you tried throwing toys and treats inside his crate? Have you fed him inside of his crate with the door open?
[notify]
Sun

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 11:19am PST 
He eats all of his meals in the crate with the door open.
[notify]

Natalie

Bossy Aussie

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 11:24am PST 
If he's a border collie as his profile states, unfortunately you're probably going to be in for "more" of a handful as he gets older. I would be working on basic puppy manners and giving him things to think about such as busy bones and a frozen peanut butter kong during his downtime.

We rescued Natalie at 10 weeks and she's been "go go" ever since. She's not a border collie but is an Australian shepherd, which is very similar. Without at least a few training sessions throughout the day and a few games of intense Frisbee she will NOT settle. She also requires new commands to be taught every few days basically because of how quickly she learns them and she is so focused with that herding breed brain and no noise (because of being deaf) that she is proofed in many different places in no time.

It took us about a week straight of actual SCREAMING in order for Natalie to be crate trained. The method that finally worked was that we would put her in the crate and expect at first 30 seconds of silence and then one minute and then two minutes and so on...she figured out quickly that she would be let out and now she is 100% solid.

If you haven't already I would join a good high quality puppy class and start thinking about some outlets for his energy the two of you might enjoy as he gets older. smile
[notify]