GO!

Switching to taste of the wild. Opinions?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dreamy

Queen of my- castle.

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 5:55am PST 
I've been thinking of switching my dogs to a grain free diet for a while now and over the weekend I found taste of the wild at tractor supply (one of those stores I rarely go to). I'm putting Rocky and Dreamy on the high prairie formula and Sparkles on the high prairie puppy formula. I even switched the cat to TOTW salmon and trout. Rocky is almost 9 years old. He's fairly lean, muscular and animated. Dreamy is 8 years old. She's a bit overweight, rather lazy, and beginning to show some slight occasional hip pain. Sparkles is an 8 month old bulldog mix (slight bit of rottie in her) with some allergies. She's energetic and playful and gets Dreamy up off her butt lol. So, opinions anyone? Is this a good choice for my diverse group?
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 8:46am PST 
I like TotW's formula, and I fed it to our cat for quite some time. Recently they had a recall for salmonella, which doesn't scare me since cats and dogs are equipped against the bacteria.. but the whole ordeal revealed some less than high quality conditions in one of their factories. I've since switched the cat to another food, out of personal preference. I'm not sure if Diamond made an effort to fix those conditions or not.

So formula is great, and most dogs seem to enjoy the taste. I personally don't trust the company, but heck.. there aren't many pet food companies that I do trust nowadays.
[notify]
Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 3:15pm PST 
I've been a fan for many years, particularly of the Salmon formula. The calories are lower than most diet foods, and the protein level is not too high. The last recall was in the SC plant, not all of them, and was taken care of immediately. Rusty is my second dog on it; his coat is lovely, skin is great, and his energy exhausting!
[notify]

Violet

hey good looking- ....what ya got- cookin

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 5:33pm PST 
I love it....have been feeding it for a while now...great for violets skin and caot she loves the taste and i love that it is not crazy expensive for a grain free food....violet eats the salmon based one since she has problems with the other flavors....the cat even eats tow ...imo it is a great food....sure the factory aint the greatest but hey its actually no worse than most factories that make human food
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 2:31am PST 
I am generally satisfied with it.
I do not like Diamond very much, don't hate it, just don't like it. But that doesn't mean I won't feed a food they make, as long as my dogs do good on it. Which they do.
I noticed that around two weeks after putting the Girls onto Taste of the Wild their coats became less greasy and more glossy/soft, their breath got a lot better, their poop was smaller and didn't smell like a cattle feedlot, and they had more energy. Reduced portions and increased exercise for Sasha got her to drop 20 pounds. (That did not work on their previous food very well, believe it or not.) I rotate through all four (soon to be five) formulas with no problems, but I tend to prefer High Prairie and Wetlands since those two have more protien than Sierra Mountains or Pacific Stream. My dogs do better on higher protien foods, I have noticed, so I generally stick to foods with more rather than less.

The Shiba... I have not officially tried him on Taste of the Wild yet. In the past he has reacted badly kibbles so he was raw-fed for a while, but now he can eat certain kinds (dunno why) so I have been testing them on him our of sheer curiosity, and also to be able to have an emergency backup if like, the house exploded and all my meat is incinerated, or something like that. (You never know.)

Anywho, yeah, I think it's a pretty good food. The manufacturer could use some sprucing up, but the food is generally a good one. I probably wouldn't feed it if I could get another brand (that had a manufacturer with a better track record) for the same price, but I can't, so Taste of the Wild it is.
[notify]
Nala

Queen of the- Couch

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 5:10pm PST 
I feed the pacific stream salmon formula and Nala has never looked better. I love it.
[notify]
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 7:43am PST 
Angel was on taste of the wild for the longest time, and she did pretty well on it. The only thing I noticed is that she ate a lot of grass and she ate a lot of dog food. She went through a 30 lb bag of dog food every 2 weeks. Once we switched her to Natural Balance she stopped eating grass, less gassy, and eats out of her dish every other day. Also, all of the recalls get annoying with this food company. By all means it is not a bad dog food, just sharing my experiences with it.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 1:11pm PST 
Bella's been on it for 2.50 years > excellent food!
I purchase the 5-lb bags because I give her a different variety/flavor for the next bag.
She loves it snoopy
For a 'grain-free 5-star rated food', TOTW is the best bang for the buck > and you feed less too!
Very Healthy for her and good on my wallet way to go

Edited by author Fri Sep 28, '12 1:12pm PST

[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 5:17pm PST 
out of all the food i researched a like totw the best. The vet I work for actually will suggest it to people too! Anywho. My dogs do great on it. I had a intermittent vomiter that doesn't vomit anymore.
Stools are normal, normal in frequency.
I feed the Salmon. Thought about switching to the foul for a while, but one of my dogs has a questionable food allergy so I think Ill keep them on this! I never switched due to recalls. They did great on it. And if you follow the recalls some private companies have also recalled for salmonella too!
Even human spinach was recalled for salmonella!
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 9:21am PST 
Nutro Natural Choice has a grain free formula now too, and me n" Ellie got to taste test the vennison/potato formula. Cindy has given me vennison formulas before cuz I am allergice to lamb, and I think it is WAY yummy.

http://www.nutro.com/natural-dog-food/natural-choice-dog-f ood/dry/adult-grain-free-venison-and-potato.aspx

If you decide to try it out, check the "rewards" tab to see if you can print a coupon out.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2