GO!

Jewel Goes Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 7:59am PST 
Jewel's started her pre-made raw trial this morning! This is the brand we're using http://www.springmeadowsnaturalpetfood.com/ and we have a couple trial packs the store gave us to make sure Jewel will eat it. We have 3 chicken patties and 3 beef patties, should I alternate or give her all the chickens and then the beefs?

I'm starting her at 2 ounces twice a day, puts her a little closer to the "active" side of their recommendations for her size. This morning I mashed it up a bit thinking it would look like canned food to her then but silly me that just made it harder for her to eat. I ended up sitting on the floor feeding her with a spoon, tonight I'll just cube it.

My other question is how long after and before she eats do I have to withhold treats? This morning a guy at work went to feed her a piece of egg and it was all dramatic slow motion "nooooooooooooo". Her treats are all dried meats or organs most of which I make her myself if that matters.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 11:56am PST 
I used Spring Meadows with Farles for almost a year before switching to prey model, then prey. I really liked that brand! It is made the next province over from me and Farles did well on it, but with his size I couldn't afford to feed anything other than mostly chicken and a bit of beef.

I don't really worry about feeding treats, personally. He gets all sorts of treats and many of them are processed (baked, dehydrated, etc) and some do contain grains of some kind, and he has no problem with it. If Jewel has no problem either, I don't see why you'd have to avoid them or wait before/after raw meals to give them. I don't, anyway. smile

Has Jewel been introduced to chicken already? If so then I'd keep with the chicken for a few days and make sure she has good stools on it and tolerates it, then you can add in a little bit of beef with the next meal, see if she tolerates that, and add in more next time, etc. Once she is accustomed to both proteins, you can go ahead and alternate them or not, whichever works for you and Jewel.

Congrats on making the switch and be sure to update us on Jewel's progress!

Edited by author Fri Sep 21, '12 11:59am PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 12:27pm PST 
Congrats on the switch!

I use the Spring Meadows chicken formula in the cats' rotation (and they eat the same amount as Jewel! laugh out loud).

I would keep going with the chicken until her poops are normal (a week or so?), then very slowly introduce the beef.

For treats, I guess it depends on how sensitive of a tummy she has. Rexy is Miss Iron Guts. I use some kibble in the treat bag (along with some cheese cubes, and baked liver treats) and so long as I'm not feeding the kibble within an hour or so of the raw, then I don't stress. But then this is also a dog that ate walnuts (shells and all) without any distress. silenced
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 12:43pm PST 
Farley I didn't know you were so close! I'm in Sask.

Jewel's had raw chicken wings before so she's pretty good with chicken and her tummy's pretty tough as long as it's meat. She'll eat a milkbone at my friend's because her four dogs are all eating one but if I tried to give her something like that at home she wouldn't eat it.

I can see myself maybe getting deeper into raw and making my own meals for her as I get more comfortable but for the amount she eats it's not going to break the bank to start with pre-made!

Their website suggests adding salmon oil did you guys do that?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 3:23pm PST 
If the beef isn't grass fed they say its a good idea to add fish oil of some kind for omega fats. I do get grass fed but still use sardines coz dogs really seem to love em! So you could add these or just dribble the oil onto her food.

Good on you for switching to raw, I'm sure she'll love it!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 7:53pm PST 
I do feed salmon oil (in capsules), but not every day. If Rexy is getting wild game, then I skip the oil as I'm supplementing with it to make up for the lack of omega-3s.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 8:08am PST 
Well over the weekend my biggest challange with feeding raw was to get Jewel to figure out that she could eat it without beind fed from a spoon. This dog was born to be spoilt. Every meal I had to cut back how much I spoon fed her and coach her through eating it herself. You've never seen a dog get so much praise for eating. This morning was her first raw meal with no spoon feeding, what a princess.

Her poops aren't going to extremes and are tiny so I think we're doing okay in that area. I have enough for 5 more chicken meals before we start the beef. One patty lasts her four meals (2 days).

I think I'll have to buy the oil, she doesn't eat sardines (she'll eat canned tuna or salmon) and she's far too small to give her human pills. She does love the skin off the salmon I get at costco for myself so I could start eating more salmon to have a steady supply of skin for her...thinking
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 10:02am PST 
Must be nice to have a dog that eats nicely...I just have 2 gobblers! Harley would probably eat the spoon.

I used cheese and cooked chicken for treats for the first month of raw for training treats and avoided the store made stuff at first. But I was watching for allergies though.

If you want more sources for raw food let me know. I know of some raw feeders in SK and MB and can see what they use.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 10:10am PST 
Right now I just want to know where I can get her a snood!! laugh out loud
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 3:57pm PST 
You mean like this? http://www.d-fa.com/products-snoodle.html
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2