GO!

New Puppy

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 11:32am PST 
S.O and I met a litter of puppies that were up for adoption and decided to adopt one of the little bundles of joy. We bring her home in a couple of weeks. She is a lab mix, confident, adventurous, fearless and calmer than her other siblings.

She's all black, and Charlie and she have already met. She absolutely adores Charlie and he, her. If a puppy is too pesky, he doesn't like it, but Ria was content just to be in his presence and beside him, although she did put her front paws on his snout when he was sniffing her. She's a very happy puppy, very wiggly with a constant wagging tail and if Charlie would whine while she wandered away, she'd run right back to him again. Coincidence or fate... her mama's name was Maya. meditate

We're excited to be bringing her home in a few weeks when she's ready.

The drive is four hours each way, so if anyone has any suggestions for making that drive as stress-free and easy for her as possible, we'd love to hear them. I borrowed a friends pet carrier and it's perfect size for when she's grown a bit and she'll be coming home in that, and I'm going to be tossing some of her own blankets with mama's smell in it to make it a little more comfortable for her. Charlie will be with us on the drive, and we'll be making plenty of water and pee breaks along the way but if anyone has any other ideas for us, feel free to give us some suggestions.

And now... for the pictures of the adorable little lady!

Ria

Walking around

Cutie

I'm trying to make her a profile on here, but it's not allowing me to upload her pictures.

Edited by author Mon May 7, '12 11:35am PST

[notify]
Angel Lou

Everybody wants- to be a...DOG!- not a CAT

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 4:17pm PST 
Congratulations on the new pup! She is quite adorable, although I have no tips on how to ease the transportation. As when we got Angel Lou, it was only a 45 min drive. I still wish you the best of luck, once you make a profile for her. I shall send a pup pal request.wishes
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 4:21pm PST 
Congratulations the new pup is adorable!!! Can't wait to see more pics when she is home.hugwishes
[notify]

Adonis

God of Manly- Good Looks and- Desire

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 4:58pm PST 
Congratulations! She is so pretty. smile
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 5:07pm PST 
She is sooo cute!! party Congrats!!!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 8:50pm PST 
Wow, how spooky that her mama's name is Maya - I think it could be fate!

She is so very adorable, you must be so excited! Congrats, Charlie! cheer
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon May 7, '12 9:57pm PST 
Congratulations! Love her color wink

As far as the drive home, it was a 20 hour drive bringing Onyx home from the breeder, and he spent most of it in the foot space of the front passenger seat. My brother and I switched off driving, and Onyx just chilled down there with the feet of whoever wasn't driving. When he started whining or fidgeting, we knew he needed a potty break.

If she's never been in a crate or a car before, both at once might stress her out. But if she's a wiggly puppy who will be running all over the car, the crate would probably be a good idea. Maybe spend some time getting her used to the crate before you load her into the car.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 12:18am PST 
Thanks everyone for the input and the congrats! We're so excited. We go pick her up on Sunday. Poor mama wants nothing to do with the little babies anymore because they have teeth(goodness!) and they never leave her alone, bol. The foot space of the passenger seat would work fine for Ria too - I usually stash my purse there and sit cross-legged in the passenger seat anyway, haha! My honey drives and I don't, so it'll be me taking care of the puppy unless we're making pit-stops. I'll probably try coaxing her into the crate prior to the drive with treats and a chew toy - she's a very confident and pretty fearless little lady, lol.

I have a foldable water dish that I use on long drives with Charlie, so she'll have water for sure.

Any suggestions for puppy safe chew toys and treats? I'd like to get her something that's HERS, for her crate or wherever, that she can have. Most of Charlie's toys are either too big, or are already chewed enough that I wouldn't want a young puppy chewing on them - only two still intact are his squeaky rubber toy and his kong.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 6:38am PST 
It sounds like a match made in heaven! I'm desperately hoping we'll find a puppy Kodiak likes that much, once we start looking. If someone else is driving, I'd be really tempted to sit in the bag and snuggle the dogs smileMaybe you could get them each a Kong. I think they have some you can fill with kibble, if she's too young for peanut butter.
[notify]
Nukka

Nukka- Play with me!!

Barked: Mon May 14, '12 10:33am PST 
We drove 14 hours to bring Nukka home. Plan on having a secure place for her to hang out (like a crate). Plan on taking frequent breaks to offer water and a low-traffic area for potty breaks. 4 hours isn't so daunting as the 14 hours was, but Nukka did great!

One thing that I did ahead of time was bought a fuzzy baby blanket for her and sent it to the breeder. She put it right in with mama and the pups. When we brought Nukka home, we brought the blanket too. That way, it was full of familliar scents and made the transition a little easier.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2