GO!

What's your opinion on this?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Angel

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 12:01pm PST 
What's your opinion on by-products in kibble diets?

I know this is the raw section and kibble isn't raw but I wanted to hear the opinions regarding this subject from raw feeders.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 12:22pm PST 
Hi Ginger wink

I feed many "by-products" in the raw diet, but they're fresh, whole and I know where they came from and from what animal.

In kibble, I think it's a less-than ideal protein source, but as long as they're named, I still think it's a better ingredient than corn, wheat and other grains.
[notify]
Angel

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 1:19pm PST 
How do you know where they come from? I'm just curious. Do you hunt or butcher your own cuts or ask the butcher? I'm not really sure how this works.
[notify]

Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 1:25pm PST 
I get many parts from wild moose that my best friend's dad hunts each fall. The remainder are either already present in whole prey, or from grocery stores where I know they are human grade. I haven't scoped out butchers in my city really, but the same would apply to that source as well.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 3:25pm PST 
I get my organs from local farmers who are grass fed and free ranged, butcher, meat processor and grocery store like walmart or meijer or marsh etc.

My beef with by products in kibble is all it says animal by product uh what animal? or poultry by product again what poultry duck, chicken, turkey? and so on. it doesn't specify what kind of by product either should say beef kidney, beef liver, beef heart etc.

Nature's variety has liver in it, but it list what animal it came from so that's good..

organs are good for dogs, but nice know what kind because well a dog might be allergic to chicken, but OK with duck or turkey, but why take chance with it if it doesn't say what kind bird it is..

Or say kibble says animal by product and dog does ok on it for a bit, but all sudden next bag doesn't do good maybe allergies got bad or maybe that animal this batch is a animal the dog is allergic to..

Take ziwi peak for example here's it's ingredients mind you it's pricey, but ingredients are good I buy it for training treats Saya loves it lasts her while as a treat since I also use other things too.

Lamb - Meat 57%
Lamb - Liver, Lung, Tripe, Heart and Kidney 34%
Green-lipped Mussel 3%

Lecithin, Chicory Inulin, Kelp, Parsley, naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols.
Vitamins: Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride
Minerals: Iron amino acid complex, Copper amino acid complex, Manganese amino acid complex, Zinc amino acid complex, Selenium Yeast, Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium Carbonate

See how it lists what kind organs is in it.

I try get my organs mostly from local farms sometimes I get little bit from grocery, butcher or meat processor.

I also feed things like chicken feet, whole prey quail she eats everything on the quail sometimes she might not eat it's stomach or intestines sometimes she does.. I plan to get some chicken heads along with the chicken feet from a local farmer who has free ranged chicken and pigs it's amazing how the farm doesn't smell compared to closed shelter type farms sad so many farmers farm that way smell is horrible..

I like seeing the chickens walk on the grass following me around.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 5:39pm PST 
My by-products come from a butcher and from a farm (co-op orders fromthem). I get liver, kidney and heart from the butcher nearby who processors every cow on site. From the co-op, I get green tripe, which is butchered and processed in a farm on the east coast.

Used to know another meat processor who'd give me by-products like trachea, esophagus, oxtail, and spleen.

My concern with by-products in kibble is that the kibbles that use them usually rely on them too heavily, and there's no way for me to tell how much of it is nutritional. Heart, tripe, and secreting organs are high in nutritional value, but by-product meal can also contain heads, feet, sinew, skin, fur, etc etc. Who's to know if the by-product meal in your kibble is 90% heart or 90% feet?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 6:18pm PST 
Max mostly eats by products. I know what he is eating because my knowledge of mammal anatomy is good enough to get by. I know the difference between green tripe, heart, liver, kidney, heads, feet, tendons, veins and arteries, gizzards and all by their appearance. And smell - green tripe, liver and kidney are stinky.

Max likes them all and all have a part to play in his diet but I sure am glad to know exactly which bit I am offering up. Heads and feet are bony and would include too much calcium if the meal had lots of them in it. Tendons, tripe and blood vessels have a lot of connective tissue which isn't as well digested by Max. My mighty raw eater cannot digest chunks of cooked cartilage or even cooked gizzards!
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 7:57pm PST 
I'm not really sure what a "By-Product" is.
Crash gets all his food from the grocery store in the exact same place where I buy my meat.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 8:21pm PST 
By products in kibble is simply a cheapy way to fill up kibble without given quality assurance on the actual content of whatever ingredient is used. So my opinion is that by-products in kibble is shady and low quality.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 8:31pm PST 
Talking kibble ... any by product that doesn't come from an animal (wheat middlings, apple pomace etc.) bad ... any by product that comes from an animal but is basically crap (feathers, beaks), bad ... anything else is okay and even desirable (organs, bones, skin) as long as its a specified source. I like to see liver, kidney etc. in kibbles and treats.

Bully sticks are one of the best 'left overs' on the market and I have no issue buying them, they are a good healthy by product. Like with everything, you can get the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to bits no one uses.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2