GO!

Should this concern me?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dodger

I like to smile.

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 1:22pm PST 
My dog has been chewing his private for about 3 weeks off and on. It seemed a bit red but then I just figured it was probably due to change in the weather since its been nicer and he has been itching/scratching other places
Well today, I noticed it was a bit purple colored on the end.... and now I am terrified. I cant seem to find anything online and I hate dragging him to the vet all the time for silly things so if this isnt serious or something I can fix on my own, then I wont take him in but if it is, I will. Anyone?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 3:02pm PST 
If you're unsure of what's causing his itchiness that in and of itself would be a reason to bring him in.

A dog chewing on himself anywhere for several weeks isn't normal.

The issue with his penis should also be addressed. Could be an insect bite, infection, abrasion, growth etc. etc. etc....only a vet who is there and can run diagnostics will know for sure.

Hope he's ok! Always nice to see a fellow Minnesotan here wave
[notify]
In Memory of Callie

Just call me Her- Magesty

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 3:39pm PST 
Sounds like a vet visit is in order. Good luck.
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 5:39pm PST 
He might have hot spots. We had a Golden that had them on his privates. It got so bad, his testicles looked like red apples. We had a family member in the hospital at the time and that's why it got so bad. When I took him to the vet, they gave him a shot of cortisone. That did the trick. It is very painful and itchy. I would take him to the vet. We switched his dog food and I bought Sulfadene, a yellow liquid for hot spots, at Wal-Mart. It worked very well. I gave him baths in Sulfadene shampoo every 2 weeks. That kept his hot spots under control. Hope that helps. Good Luck!
[notify]
Dodger

I like to smile.

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:18pm PST 
He had a UTI
He is on meds. I hate meds for my dogs. Is there any natural way to rid this or is meds it because its already happened?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 8:31pm PST 
Don't hate meds, used responsibly they improve quality of life. Penicillin saved my person's life when she was a child.
[notify]