GO!

How can I train my dog to stop being obnoxious around house guests?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Brooklyn

where da dogz- at?

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 10:27am PST 
Hello everyone!,

My dog is super friendly and very hyper. When I have a guest, she greets them at the door with all kisses and a wiggly butt. The problem is she jumps all over them and nearly knocked my grandmother over once. She won't stop her greeting until the guest sits down for about ten minutes or until all of my dog's energy is drained. I walk her two times a day for about an hour and a half each. Sometimes even more and she still acts hyperactive when guests walk into my house. When she was a puppy, she was properly socialized with other animals and new people. Now I try everything from restraining her with a harness away from my guests to throwing food at her. I know these are all bad behaviors to teach and reward but I am so frustrated. I have taught her to sit, stay, down, come etc. She just doesn't do the commands when I have guests. I have tried standing in her way to block her but it was obvious that would be the last thing that would get in her way. I know I am suppose to tell my guests to ignore her for 10 minutes or so until she is calm and then they should reward the calm behavior with a greeting and treats. But the guests who come over my house want to greet my dog and won't listen to me. My mother even blames the dog for the behavior and yells at her. Which just makes my dog even more excited. I need help. My dog has hurt herself greeting people at the door. She hits her head on the table, falls backward, and slightly almost has been closed in the heavy front door. The only thing I can see now is to put her harness on and tie her up away from the company. I can't put her in another room because she is able to chew my inside doors and has even put a hole in one. What can I do to stop her impulsive behavior?

Thank you, in advance, for any suggestion. smile
[notify]
Gus & Grace

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 10:54am PST 
I'd train her to go to her bed when Guests come to the door. You will need a very patient friend or family member (not someone living with you) who will basically stand at the door - ring the bell, let you open the door, let you close the door - over and over and over. smile

The first steps to this though are basic obedience. She needs a good solid "sit" or "down" and "stay".

Especially for impulsiveness. You should practice "stay" with her in various places. Set boundaries for her in her house - a "line" at the kitchen that she has to stay on the other side of. Or play things like Crate Games - great for impulse control!

Once the "sit" "down" "stay" are good - start the guest training.

When the doorbell rings, take her to her bed. Have her lay down, and stay. You may have to put her back half a dozen times before you actually get to the door (she will anticipate, for sure). But be patient, calm, and consistent.

It may take multiple training sessions - so if you can enlist some friends and family or neighbors to help for 10-15 minutes a few times a week that would be great.

You can practice reinforcing this by putting her on her bed in a down stay and opening the door, closing the door, opening the door.

Once people are actually in your house and she is still on her bed - have them ignore her - don't even look at her - and make sure her release is on your terms. Only release her after she relaxes. If she is staying but alert and ready to jump the moment you say go she is not ready to be released.

Have them continue ignoring her when she first gets up. If she gets up and becomes hyper or pushing for attention from guests once released - put her back on her bed in a down stay. If she gets up and is calm, let the guests pat her, or give her treats. But I'd limit her free time while she is still learning and have her return to her bed before they leave. Some visits - keep her on her bed. It is good practice.

It takes patience, but it can be done. Good luck smile

Edited by author Tue Mar 20, '12 10:56am PST

[notify]
Brooklyn

where da dogz- at?

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 11:04am PST 
Thanks smile
I will try training my dog myself. I don't think I will be fortunate enough to have the help of a guest because none of them listen to me. Sometimes I get so frustrated but if I show my emotions I won't be having any more guests to complain about. I hope this works. She greets me the same way when I get home and will try to train her as if I were a guest.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 5:08pm PST 
When you come home open the door, walk in, put your stuff away, hang up your coat, move into another area of the house away from the door and greet your dog quietly. Don't acknowledge her until she is calm. When you first come in, this is the important part, DON'T acknowledge her at all. No matter what she does no touching, talking, eye contact, nothing. If she is jumping at you move through her and keep going. Make it a rule that she only gets attention when her butt is on the floor. And greet her away from the door to remove the connection. Once she is good with you then move on to guests.
[notify]
Penny- Dutchess

Born to Lick!

Barked: Wed Mar 21, '12 11:19am PST 
Brooklyn, Thank you for posting this. I have the same issues with my 2 1/2yr old Boxer (just rescued her a few months ago). When I have guests come over she gets so excited to see them she jumps and wants to kiss them. I also have the friends that come over and don't listen when I tell them to ignore her. They say "it's ok. I don't mind." and so they encourage it. So it is impossible to train her not too do this with them. When I come home it is 10times worse. She is SO HAPPY to see me she is practically leaping around my kitchen when I walk in the door.

I started working with her at the door, making her sit till I have taken my coat off and put my stuff down on the table and released her. Every time she gets up I stop, put it back on and we try again. We do that till she has listened. Then I give her the attention she wants. Now reading Sabi's response, I should start to hold that attention an praise till I have gotten away from the door. In hopes that helps with the guest issue, (at least at the door). laugh out loud
[notify]