GO!

mastiff pup allergic to chicken help plz with starting raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Minnie

Real girls drive- tonka

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 11:51pm PST 
hi im new to dogster my trainer said to check out the forums for advice she recommended turkey as a good meat to start with but turkey is a bit harder to come by and get a variety and also i have read alot of varying info on feeding a pup that you should feed with the ideal grown weight but her mom is 180lbs and dad is 230lbs so that seems like a bit much for a 61 lbs dog so any advice will be greatly appreciated and helpful tythinking
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 5:46am PST 
Is he allergic to RAW chicken or just cooked/processed/kibble chicken? Zoey is allergic to beef/chicken in COOKED/processed/kibble form but has handled it just fine for 18 months on raw.
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 5:55am PST 
If you pup had a reaction to chicken raw, you may want to be sure the chicken wasn't enhanced. I thought Hula was allergic, but come to find out, Miller's Amish chicken is enhanced, so I purchse my chicken from a free range poultry farm instead. She does ok, but I have to be careful about the skin.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 8:56am PST 
I'm also curious what experience led you to believe she's allergic to chicken. Not saying she can't be allergic to chicken, just wondering because as others have said, there may be more than one explanation to whatever reaction she had. Don't want to rule out chicken if you don't have to.

You can start with any meat really but one with some form of bone is preferable.

2-3% of a pup's expected adult body weight is the usual starting place. So if you expect her to be 180 lbs full grown like her mother, feeding 2.5% would be 4.5 lbs of meat per day split into however many meals you're feeding each day. Does sound like a lot but she's going to be a big dog after all laugh out loud
[notify]
Minnie

Real girls drive- tonka

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 9:28am PST 
Ok thank you for the advice I will try some free range chicken with her she was getting explosive runs and a rash with chicken, also thank you for clearing some of the fog about feeding her weight amount
[notify]
Mackenzie- CGC TDI DSA

Why sit when you- can lie down?

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 10:07am PST 
Welcome to the forums Minnie! My Mackenzie is allergic to raw in cooked and in raw form. You can do turkey, but I have found it to be slightly expensive (especially if you'll be feeding a mastiff!). I stock up on discounted whole turkeys after the holidays and spread it out throughout the year. However, I primarily use pork. I can get pork feet, pork tails, and pork necks for roughly a dollar a pound and she can get through the pork steak bones just fine too. This makes up the bulk of her bone intake, and I use whatever other red meats I can get ahold of for her boneless portions (I get lamb and beef hearts from the local market cheap, and stock up on discounted beef whenever I find it). Pork tails are extremely easy to get through, so a pup would have no problem with them.

Like the others said, I would try to determine if Minnie is actually allergic to chicken because it can save you a bundle if you don't have to cut that out! Good luck and welcome to raw feeding!
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 8:10pm PST 
Duke is also allergic to chicken...in any form, doesn't matter. If it is an allergy, an inexpensive bone option is turkey and duck neck. I stock up on beef and pork when I find it cheap. Raw is not cheap when you can't feed chicken, but it's doable. If you are in the My Pet Carnivore delivery zone, there's a good sale on beef this month. Good luck!
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 8:19pm PST 
Duke is also allergic to chicken...in any form, doesn't matter. If it is an allergy, an inexpensive bone option is turkey and duck neck. I stock up on beef and pork when I find it cheap. Raw is not cheap when you can't feed chicken, but it's doable. If you are in the My Pet Carnivore delivery zone, there's a good sale on beef this month. Good luck!
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 7:13am PST 
Make sure the meat wasn't enhanced (sodium UNDER 100g), then if the meat you were feeding wasn't enhanced start with something else.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 7:25am PST 
When Reyna was growing, I did around 10% of current weight until that was even with what 3% of what I thought her ideal adult weight was and then I switched to that. Yes, it sounds like a lot, but you can adjust accordingly based on body condition.

I would guesstimate adult weight around 150lbs. Thats relatively normal for an adult female bitch, and again, you can always change based on body condition. If she gets too skinny, add more. Gets fat, add less. HOWEVER, let me caution you by saying that with these big kids, it is ALWAYS better for them to be slightly underweight than any little bit overweight. You DO NOT want that on growing joints.

I too would give chicken a shot before writing it off. A lot of my customers have dogs that are allergic to chicken in kibble form, but not in raw. Otherwise, turkey necks are a great alternative.
[notify]