|Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 6:40am PST |
|We received Banji two weeks ago from a friend of ours when she was 5 wks old. She's been staying with us for two weeks now, entirely indoor. I took her to a vet yesterday and got her initial check-up and the first vaccination. I also have a 5 1/2 yr old black Maltipoo, who's been with us for about 5 yrs now. For the past two weeks, I've learned the following:
1. Shooby REALLy doesn't get along with Banji - Shooby generally doesn't like other dog(s) around. She is a really calm and timid dog who doesn't like to get bothered. She is great with people and when she goes for a walk, she seems more comfortable with big size dogs but usually, she isn't that socialable with other dogs and cats. On the other half, Banji loves following and playing with Shooby. Not only she follows her but she often attacks Shooby, scaring her to death. Not sure if Banji is just trying to play with Shooby, but Banji seems that she doesn't really care when Shobby gets angry or barks at her crazily.
2. Banji is very smart and active - she is still very young and she sleeps for about two hours in about 5 hr. cycles every day except at night when she sleeps a bit longer.. When she first came home, I fed her 4 times a day at 8am, noon, 5pm, and 9pm. Now I feed her three times a day and she loves having her "taste of the wild" puppy formula, about 2 cups a day. (am I feeding her enough?? She now weighs about 10.5 lbs compared to 7 lbs when she first came home and I am thinking about feeding her one cup at a time now, three times a day.)
3. Banji loves chewing and pulling things. Almost ANYTHING! - we got our fabric couch ruined real bad because of her chewing, scratching, and pulling behavior and our hands, arms, and feet have lots of little scars now. The vet trimmed the nails last Friday so her nails are less sharp and dangerous now.
4. My husband started showing allergy reactions for the past 4 days. We aren't 100% sure whether it's because of Banji or not but my symptoms are minor compared to his and he had to go see a eye doctor because he got a pink eye, badly swollen. The eye doc thinks that it's because of the new pet introduced in the house. We both LOVE Banji so much but we are a little worried about our own health and the soon-to-be-born baby that I'm expecting. I am 27wk pregnant and my nurturing instinct now is never higher than before! Those who got Husky while pregnant or when the baby was real young, please advise me and share your insight with me - do you guys keep the dog inside or outside of the house? How is the baby doing with the fur?? Any allergic symptoms?
We bought a medium size dog house - country lodge style today, cleaned the backyard which is completely cemented except where we have the two A/C units standing where the area is covered with little rocks on top of the dirt/sand, in between and around the two A/C units. We put the exercise pan around this area in the backyard - we initially got this two weeks ago for restricting some area in the house when she was staying with us indoor. The patio door to outside is blocked with our three big trash bins and I trimmed the plants where she might be able to reach so that she cannot eat these plants that I am not sure whether it's safe for her or not. The fence is pretty high for her size now so there's no risk of escaping over the fence. She seemed excited when we were cleaning up and fixing the outdoor place for her, running around and playing with her rubber ball and husky bull sticks. When she was left alone with the door from the house to the backyard shut, she started houling and it went for about an hour. I heard huskies can be very stubborn and at this point I am giving ourselves some transition time. Since we kept her inside for the first two weeks until I could get her vaccinated and all ready, she is now used to move around, staying w/ shooby and sleeping inside. Is she eventually going to get used to the backyard living? I am going to start a routinely exercise w/ her, taking her to walk every other day, if not everyday, and take her to the beach on weekends. Would this be enough for her to satisfy her desire and need in terms of the activity level?
5. My primary concern: is there anyone out ther who has dog allergy to this breed and still have husky? It might sound silly but if I keep Banji outside, can she still stay with us? The eye doc says that if my hubby and I respond to this breed, it is very likely that our child will have the same allergic reaction to that and in a more severe degree due to their weak immune system. Does ANYONE have any input on this? How successfully can I separate them so that the baby doesn't get affected? Luckily we don't have carpet except the stairs and I already started cleaning my house aggressively after reading about the longevity of allergen in the house. I will continue to do so but if I keep having contact with Banji, it is impossible to completely remove allergen from the house since I will be carrying some no matter how hard I try to keep myself "clean".
I apologize about my first post getting so long here but i have been getting the advice to send Banji away from people and we really like to keep her. Am I being crazy?? Please help!
Edited by author Sun Mar 4, '12 8:32am PST
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|