GO!

A Female Siberian Husky Puppy Joined the Family - LOTS of advice needed

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Banji

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 6:40am PST 
We received Banji two weeks ago from a friend of ours when she was 5 wks old. She's been staying with us for two weeks now, entirely indoor. I took her to a vet yesterday and got her initial check-up and the first vaccination. I also have a 5 1/2 yr old black Maltipoo, who's been with us for about 5 yrs now. For the past two weeks, I've learned the following:

1. Shooby REALLy doesn't get along with Banji - Shooby generally doesn't like other dog(s) around. She is a really calm and timid dog who doesn't like to get bothered. She is great with people and when she goes for a walk, she seems more comfortable with big size dogs but usually, she isn't that socialable with other dogs and cats. On the other half, Banji loves following and playing with Shooby. Not only she follows her but she often attacks Shooby, scaring her to death. Not sure if Banji is just trying to play with Shooby, but Banji seems that she doesn't really care when Shobby gets angry or barks at her crazily.

2. Banji is very smart and active - she is still very young and she sleeps for about two hours in about 5 hr. cycles every day except at night when she sleeps a bit longer.. When she first came home, I fed her 4 times a day at 8am, noon, 5pm, and 9pm. Now I feed her three times a day and she loves having her "taste of the wild" puppy formula, about 2 cups a day. (am I feeding her enough?? She now weighs about 10.5 lbs compared to 7 lbs when she first came home and I am thinking about feeding her one cup at a time now, three times a day.)

3. Banji loves chewing and pulling things. Almost ANYTHING! - we got our fabric couch ruined real bad because of her chewing, scratching, and pulling behavior and our hands, arms, and feet have lots of little scars now. The vet trimmed the nails last Friday so her nails are less sharp and dangerous now.

4. My husband started showing allergy reactions for the past 4 days. We aren't 100% sure whether it's because of Banji or not but my symptoms are minor compared to his and he had to go see a eye doctor because he got a pink eye, badly swollen. The eye doc thinks that it's because of the new pet introduced in the house. We both LOVE Banji so much but we are a little worried about our own health and the soon-to-be-born baby that I'm expecting. I am 27wk pregnant and my nurturing instinct now is never higher than before! Those who got Husky while pregnant or when the baby was real young, please advise me and share your insight with me - do you guys keep the dog inside or outside of the house? How is the baby doing with the fur?? Any allergic symptoms?

We bought a medium size dog house - country lodge style today, cleaned the backyard which is completely cemented except where we have the two A/C units standing where the area is covered with little rocks on top of the dirt/sand, in between and around the two A/C units. We put the exercise pan around this area in the backyard - we initially got this two weeks ago for restricting some area in the house when she was staying with us indoor. The patio door to outside is blocked with our three big trash bins and I trimmed the plants where she might be able to reach so that she cannot eat these plants that I am not sure whether it's safe for her or not. The fence is pretty high for her size now so there's no risk of escaping over the fence. She seemed excited when we were cleaning up and fixing the outdoor place for her, running around and playing with her rubber ball and husky bull sticks. When she was left alone with the door from the house to the backyard shut, she started houling and it went for about an hour. I heard huskies can be very stubborn and at this point I am giving ourselves some transition time. Since we kept her inside for the first two weeks until I could get her vaccinated and all ready, she is now used to move around, staying w/ shooby and sleeping inside. Is she eventually going to get used to the backyard living? I am going to start a routinely exercise w/ her, taking her to walk every other day, if not everyday, and take her to the beach on weekends. Would this be enough for her to satisfy her desire and need in terms of the activity level?

5. My primary concern: is there anyone out ther who has dog allergy to this breed and still have husky? It might sound silly but if I keep Banji outside, can she still stay with us? The eye doc says that if my hubby and I respond to this breed, it is very likely that our child will have the same allergic reaction to that and in a more severe degree due to their weak immune system. Does ANYONE have any input on this? How successfully can I separate them so that the baby doesn't get affected? Luckily we don't have carpet except the stairs and I already started cleaning my house aggressively after reading about the longevity of allergen in the house. I will continue to do so but if I keep having contact with Banji, it is impossible to completely remove allergen from the house since I will be carrying some no matter how hard I try to keep myself "clean".

I apologize about my first post getting so long here smile but i have been getting the advice to send Banji away from people and we really like to keep her. Am I being crazy?? Please help!

Edited by author Sun Mar 4, '12 8:32am PST

[notify]
Jen-Jen (Jenna)

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 7:29am PST 
There's 4 siberians, 1 golden retriever, and 1 cat in our household. Both my mother and I have allergies to pets. Every morning I wake up with a stuffy/runny nose, itchy eyes, itchy throat, & sneeze quite a bit throughout the day. I always hear my mom blowing her nose, probably caused by the pets as well. I guess we have just gotten used to it, lol. But in your situation with a baby on the way and looking out for their health, its a bit different than just getting used to it. I would suggest vacuuming daily, keeping the pup out of the bedrooms (maybe give them one room of the house to stay in to reduce pet hair spreading all around). Also grooming the husky daily outside to get rid of extra fur.
[notify]
Diego- Armando

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 6:59pm PST 
My son was 1 year old when I got my first Husky, I believe that husky is one of the best breeds to have with younger kids, not only did my dog do great with my son then, he still does great now. One time my son at 2 years old starting running away from me and ran towards a small creek, my dog Diego freaked out because I'm running behind my son and actually grabbed my son by his hoodie and dragged him to me, smile So not only is he really sweet with him but also very protective and caring. He is still great with any kids that come into my house or that we see when we take him for walks. My new husky is also the same way.
Both me and my husband are allergic to pets, I have noticed that I'm actually not allergic to other breeds but I am to huskies. We just don't let the dogs get in our bedrooms, the place where they are inside the house is not carpeted. They are fully inside dogs! My son is not allergic to pets at all.
I would recommend that if you are able to open up a little piece of dirt for the pup in your backyard it will make her a lot happier. Also, my dogs can jump a 6' fence, just a thought big grin
About the other dog, I think that your husky just wants to play around, they will warm up to each other. Make sure your husky is getting enough exercise and she will leave your other dog in peace a little bit more. As well as her breaking things and scratching you, you really need to get her more exercise. I have not once had to go get my dogs nails trimmed, one is 2.5 and the other is 11 months, they go for daily runs right next to my husbands bike and that keeps their nails trimmed. If there comes a time when my husband can't take them out for a while then we kind of start seeing bad behavior, and we can kind of tell when it's been too long by looking at their nails, I know it's weird but Hey! it works for us!
Good luck with your new pup and congrats on the baby! Hope this helps!
[notify]

Banji

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 9:06am PST 
Thanks a lot to both of you. We've been keeping Banji outdoor in the backyard for the past 3 weeks after we got both Banji and Shooby checked out by our vet. Shooby was having some strange symptoms like shivering and shaking like crazy and lost some weight after staying w/ Banji in the house for the initial 2. The vet suggested to send Banji back to the house that she came from but my husband and I decided to give a try to keep Banji as part of our family. We wanted to try to have her stay outdoor to see whether my hubby's allergic reactions in his left eye go away after moving her outside. Now that three weeks has passed and we have been observing what's happening with everyone in our family AND with some dog training/counseling classes, we have learned the following:

1. My husband's eye reaction is NOT because he is allergic to Banji,
2. Banji probably CAN stay outdoor but we shouldn't really do that to make her a happy dog.
3. Both Banji and Shooby, especially Shooby need to increase their socialization w/ other dogs so that they learn how to be around other dogs and feel safe and fun to play w/ other dogs - we're thinking about using doggie daycare twice a week.
4. Immediately after one training session, Banji is getting better about biting.applause

The trainer suggested keeping a crate in our bedroom so that she can sleep in the house with us - not sure if this is a great idea in terms of keeping the house (at least the bedrooms) clean. Do any of you guys use crate for your huskies at night?

Also, the trainer suggested installing a dog door so that Banji can come in and out of the house and be part of the pack freely as she wishes, but keep the area restricted by an exercise pan and eventually give her more area she can stay in the house. We have a three-story house where all the bedrooms are located on the second floor. My hubby and I are thinking about the door to the backyard from our dining room(currently, a double panel glass door) to a door w/ dog access and create an restricted area with an exercise panos that she can be interacting w/ other members of the family inside the house. Hopefully, as she gets older, she is well trained enough that we can have her in the house freely so that everyone in the family including our babies is safe around Banji.

How much did you feed Margarita at 10wks and how much do you feed her now? I am trying to do free feed for Banji and right now I feed her 2-3cups of dry food daily. Is it too much or too little?

Again, thank you both so much for sharing your experience with your huskies!hail
[notify]
Banji

Barked: Sun Mar 4, '12 9:07am PST 
Thanks a lot to both of you. We've been keeping Banji outdoor in the backyard for the past 3 weeks after we got both Banji and Shooby checked out by our vet. Shooby was having some strange symptoms like shivering and shaking like crazy and lost some weight after staying w/ Banji in the house for the initial 2. The vet suggested to send Banji back to the house that she came from but my husband and I decided to give a try to keep Banji as part of our family. We wanted to try to have her stay outdoor to see whether my hubby's allergic reactions in his left eye go away after moving her outside. Now that three weeks has passed and we have been observing what's happening with everyone in our family AND with some dog training/counseling classes, we have learned the following:

1. My husband's eye reaction is NOT because he is allergic to Banji,
2. Banji probably CAN stay outdoor but we shouldn't really do that to make her a happy dog.
3. Both Banji and Shooby, especially Shooby need to increase their socialization w/ other dogs so that they learn how to be around other dogs and feel safe and fun to play w/ other dogs - we're thinking about using doggie daycare twice a week.
4. Immediately after one training session, Banji is getting better about biting.applause

The trainer suggested keeping a crate in our bedroom so that she can sleep in the house with us - not sure if this is a great idea in terms of keeping the house (at least the bedrooms) clean. Do any of you guys use crate for your huskies at night?

Also, the trainer suggested installing a dog door so that Banji can come in and out of the house and be part of the pack freely as she wishes, but keep the area restricted by an exercise pan and eventually give her more area she can stay in the house. We have a three-story house where all the bedrooms are located on the second floor. My hubby and I are thinking about the door to the backyard from our dining room(currently, a double panel glass door) to a door w/ dog access and create an restricted area with an exercise panos that she can be interacting w/ other members of the family inside the house. Hopefully, as she gets older, she is well trained enough that we can have her in the house freely so that everyone in the family including our babies is safe around Banji.

How much did you feed Margarita at 10wks and how much do you feed her now? I am trying to do free feed for Banji and right now I feed her 2-3cups of dry food daily. Is it too much or too little?

Again, thank you both so much for sharing your experience with your huskies!hail
[notify]
Jen-Jen (Jenna)

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 4:20pm PST 
No problem smile And yes we keep ours crated at night from 11:30pm-6am. Otherwise they will tear up everything in sight including the walls & windowsills! Anywaysss... by the time morning comes the floor around the sides of each crate are covered in dog hair. I try to remember to vacuum it up before letting the "herd" run down the stairs. They run like the wind so the hair flies with them. Not looking forward to shedding season! Haha

As for food, our 40-60 pound fully grown huskies eat 3-4 cups a day. The packaging on the food will probably give an esimate as to how much she should have. Only one of my Sibes will just keep eating and eating. The rest of them seem to decide how much they need to eat to stay healthy on their own.

Good luck with everything! smile
[notify]