GO!

For those of you who have adopted "strays"

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 3:13pm PST 
Just something that sort of bugs me now and then....

Rigby came to the shelter as a stray. Severely emaciated, timid, the whole bit. The shelter staff claimed "abuse" but who knows

I find myself thinking sometimes, what would happen if by some off chance someone approaches me in the future claiming that Rig was their dog. And then presents me with some heart-string-tugging story of how she got away or something....
Obviously, I've got the papers from the shelter, I know she is now MY dog.
But, it would be a very stressful confrontation for me I think.
Luckily we got her from a shelter about 1.5 hours from where I live so it wont be as likely...hopefully.

But if any of you who adopted strays (or even owner surrenders this could apply to in a bit of a different way), what would you do if the situation were to ever come up?
[notify]
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 3:32pm PST 
Honestly, with all 4 of my dogs I would have to say to the former owners, "I am so sorry that that happened! I hope it will bring you some comfort to know (dogs name here) loves his/her life with our pack and he/she is loved more than anything!".
Granted, my pups have been with me ranging 1-7 years. If someone would have approached me after a month or two with proof they had an awesome home for the dog and really had tried to locate him or her, my reaction would have been possibly different if the dog indicated they really loved the person.
That's my take on the subject!way to go
[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 3:34pm PST 
I'm with Libby. Shelters and pounds do their best to locate the owners of lost animals. Had he been micro-chipped, a mere $10-$20 at most places, he would have easily been reunited with said owners. Even if Scout had come to us without a chip, we have put one in. It's just too easy for dogs to lose their collars and thus their info. It's harder to lose something that is under their skin. I've heard England is thinking of requiring microchips on all dogs.
[notify]

Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 4:58pm PST 
Luke was a "stray". I find it hard to believe that he never had a family though. When we got him, he could walk on a leash, and wait for me to go through the front door first. He even automatically sits when he sees me with his food bowl. I'd like to think I'm just THAT good with the training, but I know better. big laugh

If someone approached me with that story, I would have to say, "Awwww, I'm really sorry but Luke is part of our family now". He was at Animal Control for an entire month and no one claimed him. He didn't have a microchip either. I would feel bad for the person, but it's not rocket science. All they would have to do was to show up at animal control - you don't even need an appointment. Not like someone was holding him in a foster home or anything. Even a half hearted effort would have located him.
[notify]
Molly

Molly olly oxen- free!

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 5:10pm PST 
Molly was a stray but there was no way this dog was really a stray. I want to think her former owners just dumped her there under the guise of her being a stray, but if someone actually tried to tell me it's their dog i'd tell them to suck it. She's my dog now and if they really wanted her they wouldn't have lost her in the first place. I waited the holding period before I adopted her. They had a window of time to pick her up and they didn't. Simple as that.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 5:31pm PST 
Let me tell you about a dog named Storm.

Several years ago while driving home I almost ran over a Norwegian Elkhound. Knowing that the highway was just 1 block away I quickly opened the car door and whistled. The prospect of a car ride proved the right temptation and I quickly had a strange dog in my backseat. I drove the block or so to my house all the while looking for a lost person. After securing my new friend I checked for tags and tats, and recorded the numbers. I called AC gave them all the info and advised them that I would hold the dog and they could give the owner my number. They agreed being sure as I was that the owner would be along shortly. This was a purebred dog complete with breeders tattoo, and not a common breed. I put up posters, called clinics, ran an ad in the paper. Nothing. Two weeks later I started calling him Storm, three weeks later I contacted the breeder the info she had was out of date. Two months later I get a call from a man who informs me he is Storms owner and he wants him back. I ask where he has been, he says on vacation. I ask him did he know the dog was missing he says Yeah. I ask who the dogsitter was he says apparently you. Then he says he took the dog as payment for a debt and " bottom line it lady whats it gonna cost to get him back" I told him to provide proof the dog was his and he could have him. I never heard from him again. Storms real name was Chinook but he hid when I used it. I placed Storm with a great couple who adored him for the rest of his life.
Stray nothin'. If you can't be bothered to look for your dog you didn't deserve one.
[notify]
T.C.

One Tough Cookie

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 7:40pm PST 
I think it would be a case by case basis.

However, in the case of T.C., I wouldn't give her back. I posted everywhere for her, took her to the pound, and had her for 7 months before we had her spay done and ended up registering her with the city as our dog. When we rescued her, she had a lot of behavioral problems. She didn't trust men and did not like kids. She had a broken rib that had already healed. She was pregnant with 10 puppies. To this day, if I yell, she immediately drops to the ground and sulks. Loud noises scare her. If someone makes a fast movement near her, she will flip out. I have had to do a lot of training with her and she has not been a cheap dog. She also was loose around a very busy part of our town without a collar and no microchip. I did everything I could to find her owners but there was nothing. The sad fact is, if I left her at the pound, she would not have had a chance. She was very fearful and more then likely would of been put down for behavioral issues or been put down due to no interest.

There is a part of me that still believes she was owned. I have talked to people who actually saw her dodging cars on busy streets before we got her. I have theories on what happened to her. Truth is though, she is extremely happy here. She has two older and responsible children that she loves to play with. There is someone almost always home with her. She gets a lot of training, exercise, and love. She also is best friends with Belgian and hates being separated from him. I looked everywhere and both my younger brother and I would walk around town with her for the first couple weeks to see if she gained any interest.Nothing. At the end of May we will have had her for over 2 years.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 9:46pm PST 
I'm jake's 3rd owner. he was found as a stray in September 2011 was adopted at the end of september and returned the beginning of October. I adopted him october 7th. Best decision of my life. But if that first owner who 'lost' this amazing fit, well behaved (minus separation anxiety), good with children, other dogs, cats you name it beagle then I'd have to say im' sorry. I wouldn't return jake even if someone offered me 1 million dollars. No he wasn't in the pound forever. No he doesn't have too many behavioral problems and was picked up by animal patrol as a stray. If someone did come to me saying "Oh that's my beagle "insert name here" I'd tell them. He was. But all his papers and microchip (which he got at the pound) point to me. Jake's my dog and i wouldn't give him to anyone for any amount of money. But i find the odds of running into his owner slim since he was brought in by Animal Control to a shelter several cities over from where he was found.

But i had that fear in the beginning. That someone was going to come and be like "Oh thats my boy."
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 10:16pm PST 
I had that concern too.

Then I thought about it.

I don't think Abner was in the shelter for -that- long, but I don't know exactly. His intake date was listed as 8/25/10, with projected out date 8/25 as well. I think he was probably in the lost category then the rescue nabbed him as soon as he became adoptable.

Then he was on petfinder from that time until November-something.

He's really weird-looking. How hard is it to find such a weird-looking dog?!

Suffice to say, I gave up on the notion that someone wanted him. If they did, tough cookies. Mine now.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 10:28pm PST 
Charlie had four homes prior to me and knew nothing but his name when I got him. His name was the one thing that stuck with him for the eight months while he was bounced from home to home. I got him as a free to good home dog while working at a doggy daycare. But if someone saw him, said "That used to be my dog. I want him back." there's no way in heck they'd get him. Never mind the YEARS of money and training and sheer effort I have put into my dog, he's completely bonded to me and my family. I would never give him up to anyone for anything and I would fight tooth and nail to keep him. Not to mention, he's completely in my name now. He's licensed under me, microchipped under me, all his vet records from the past three years and however many months after all under my name, etc. If they wanted him back and tried to fight for it, I'd make a list of all the costs of his care over those years. I'm sure they'd rethink things real fast.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5