GO!

long, sad, howl while sleeping?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 7:15pm PST 
Henry barks. He doesn't howl. Tonight, while he was sleeping, he let out a sad, eerie, very long howl. In the four years he's been with me, I've heard him do this about 4 times--all while he was sleeping.

Has your dog done this too?
Just curious.
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 7:23pm PST 
He doesn't howl in is sleep, no, but he does howl a lot. That's why we call him the siren.laugh out loud

You can hear some of his howls in the beginning of this video.

He gets really mournful when he gets left behind, like here.

They are actually quite haunting.laugh out loud
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 8:35pm PST 
Yes, on a couple occasions.
Conker has only howled once while he was awake and it was one of the freakiest sounds I have ever heard come from a dog. He was not happy when he did it.
But the sleep howls, they don't sound very happy either, and he's always stressed out when he wakes up afterwards. I don't think he was having a very good dream when Conker sleep howls.
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 9:23pm PST 
We've had a few cases of "sleep howls" and "sleep barks" here.
Once we figured out what was going on, it was pretty funny as it just sounds so weird!

But, if she seems really agitated or worried I will wake her up.
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '12 9:44pm PST 
Never had a sleep howl. Ginger was a champion sleep barker though, and that was odd because she NEVER barked while awake. I always wondered what she was dreaming about that got her more aroused than anything in waking life.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 7:55am PST 
Yep and it's really quite creepy. The first time i heard him it scared the hell out of me laugh out loud
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 8:19am PST 
Lupi only whines in her sleep.
The only time she will howl is when someone plays the piano (in real life, not a recording) or when my BIL's beagle mix gets going-she's joined in once.
[notify]
Tessa Fenris

I'll miss you,- too, Mama.

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 8:54am PST 
Tessa was not a barker, even when barked at by other dogs. Twice in her long life, though, she scared the hell out of me by giving out with a long, eerie, howl, like she was calling all her ancestors to her. Both times, she was asleep, woke herself up howling, then looked around like she had no idea what just happened.
[notify]
Samuel Jacob- (4/1/97-4/4/- 08)

We had seasons- in the sun......

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 9:08am PST 
Sammy did that a few times. He was a howler, but these night howls were different. They made your skin crawl. Afterward, we looked back and it always presided a traumatic event. He howled 2 days before Kody died, the night before Grizzly had his heart attack, a couple of days before he broke his leg and more.shock

I didn't like it when he did that. We just pet him gently and calmed him down. He would wag his nubby and give us kisses like he was so glad to see us. I'm sure it was a nightmare.

When he passed, I found my self crying so hard, I ended up sounding somewhat like he did I'm told.cry
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 11:18am PST 
I'm glad I'm not the only one. And yes! It is so scary when it happens. Especially when you have never heard your dog howl before.
For those who haven't experienced it, it's like this.
howling in sleep

Doesn't seem scary watching the video, but it really is! laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2