GO!

So you think you want a

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 7:42pm PST 
So there seem to be a lot of people coming on here for the general pros and cons of dog breeds. Given that all dogs are individuals it is true that there are some less than stellar breed tendencies along with some general good points. If someone came to you and asked for the pros and cons of your favorite/current/pet breed what would you tell them (aside from 'Don't get one!' wink)?

*I'm sick and cold meds and New Years are a fun combination it doesn't make me party-safe so another thread. You're welcome.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 7:59pm PST 
Lol. Sorry you are sick. Get well soon. hug

Hmmm... if someone said they wanted a Chi, I probably would not discourage them unless they had small children. I would tell them that Chis need a lot of attention , can bark a lot and you have to watch where you sit when you live with one. I would tell them they are adorable, portable and lovablecloud 9 Most of all I would tell them they are real dogsbig grin
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 8:18pm PST 
Hah... I Have this conversation with people. But it honestly Really depends on the person asking... I really don't recommend Border collies to the average pet owner. They are just too much unless you have Serious intentions to Do something with your dog, and are willing to commit to a dog that doesn't slow down for Years.

Pro's

-Border collies are smart and generally train easily
-They are very focused on Their people, and they love their owners
-They are an adaptable breed that does well in many different sports and activities
-Border collies Love to cuddle

Con's
-Border collies are smart this means they can and will destroy your home and life if left untrained.
-Border collies are herding dogs and can/will chase/herd children
-Left unattended border collies will chase and can kill livestock. Herding drive is Only modified prey drive
-Border collies require mental and physical activity daily, and must me trained to stay calm in the house.
-Border collies will try to out think you, you have to be smarter than the dog.
-Do you Like the constant thud of tennis ball in your lap?
-Border collies are Intense... and I suspect mind powers might come into play bol... I know all that staring has to be doing something to my mind
[notify]

Omen

zombie killer

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 8:33pm PST 
Cons to a GSD? They are cement walls smile They will stand in your way in the house and not move. They also still believe they are tiny puppies and therefore lap dogs.

Pros? They are love bugs to their families. They make great bed warmers.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 8:46pm PST 
"Really depends on the person asking... "

Ha. Good point. I do admit to insisting my dogs are demon spawn when someone inexperienced fawns on how much they want one. "The dog needs a job" seems to totally baffle people. Watching you eat cheetos on the couch is not a job however much the dogs seem to like doing it. Thinking about my responses I'd aim it to the total novice who hasn't done any research. It's fair warning so at least they can't claim ignorance and all that. Well they can but I can then use my list of ways to say 'I told you so' so everyone wins. smile

Thanks, Princess. It's been hovering and just kind of smacked me down today. Beware of the winter colds.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 9:03pm PST 
I tell people that if you don't give them a job they'll pick their own... like home remodeling... or landscaping... Or rearranging furniture...
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 9:26pm PST 
Pros:
- There is a world of difference between a smart dog, and a border collie!

Cons:
- That's not always a good thing! wink

*ahrm!*

- They're herding dogs first, and pets second. Don't underestimate what that means!

- They stare a lot. It can get kinda creepy sometimes... like when you wake up in the middle of the night after having watched a movie about alien abductions, only to be scared half to death by a pair of huge yellow eyes right in your face!!! laugh out loud Yes, that actually happened to me! Darnit Nix, probably shaved a whole year off my life!

Edited by author Sat Dec 31, '11 9:27pm PST

[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 9:41pm PST 
I'll do my Pom-

Pros-
*Intelligent
*Trainable
*Athletic
*Constant companion
*Good sense of humor (at least Nick does anyway)
*Good guard dogs in that they warning bark

Cons-
*Stubborn
*Opinionated
*Grooming- not for me but could be a con for someone else
*Constant companion- they're attached to your hip, they want to be on your lap all the time, want to be petted all the time, will follow you all the time and get under your feet all the time. you WILL trip over them and step on them
*Requires firm and consistent rules- this goes for any dog, but it's difficult for some people to not be wishy washy with small dogs
*Luxating patellas- ie. very expensive surgery in the future a possibility

Edited by author Sat Dec 31, '11 9:43pm PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 9:43pm PST 
To the total novice?

I'd tell them that:

Pros - Beagles are very easy to socialize, generally make great family dogs, absolutely adore their people and are loyally loving to you to no end. You put the effort and time into them and they will return it in loyalty and love. They're also very, very forgiving - if you mess up, they'll typically forgive and forget as soon as you're loving them again, making them typically very patient and tolerant of people.

Cons? - If they aren't trained properly, or they're left to get bored, they can and will get destructive or noisy - they need consistency AND exercise! They're stubborn, which makes them very difficult for some people to train, and they can be set in their ways once they develop a personality or preference.

That said, unless the owner had some experience with dogs, as great and forgiving as the Beagle can be, I would not outright recommend them to a novice - I'd just go out of my way to help them understand the breed better.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Dec 31, '11 10:08pm PST 
So you think you wanna 'Jake'?

*Aka* a cute pure breed beagle (hound dog).
laugh out loud

Pros: LOVEABLE!!! and super loving. Beagles love to just lay around with you then when you go out they're ready to rip and run for days. Super forgiveable and if trained correctly will love just about anything or anyone.

Cons: Just because jake is silent does not mean all beagles are silent. Beagles bay incessantly and at anything. Jake barks at the off squirrel or raccoon that crosses the porch at night or early morning. Have you tried to train a mule? Beagles tend to be stubborn and a bit high strung when it comes to training. Forget the words 'Off leash'. You are not more important then whatever passed by this tree 15 minutes ago. totally nose based dogs. Do you want to invest time in exercise and fitness? (I walk jake for 3 hours total. starting at 6:30 am have to be to work by 8 then again at 8 at night till about 9:30).

Yes my beagle is well behaved, silent and fit. I'm aware of this. But i hate when people come up to me in Petsmart or when we walk at outdoor malls. going OMG!!! YOU HAVE A BEAGLE!!! HE'S SO CUTE WITH THE EARS AND THOSE EYES!!! HE'S SO QUIET!! I WANT A BEAGLE!!!

to these people i usually say they're noisy... I got lucky with Jake he's the first beagle of 20 i've known that is silent for the most part. I actually let him bay on command so people can hear. And when they cringe i tell them. Imagine that at 3am because a raccoon or cat crosses your porch... As for the good behavior? Thank a few hundred dollars in dog training and obedience classes. He didn't come this way... trust me.

Now i love beagles and I love my beagle. i'm a first time doggy mom with Jake but I warn people to do their research. Just seeing the term "GOOD FAMILY DOG" on one of those what breed matches your living arrangements isn't enough. Trust me... that's why i have jake. His prior owner turned him into the pound because he was 'destructive' and too much responsibility.

So you think you want a beagle like Jake? Good luck finding one...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5