GO!

Weight of a 4 month female Frenchie :)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Pretty

Barked: Mon Dec 12, '11 7:05pm PST 
I have a 4 month old frenchie and she weighs 4.3 lbs. I have read other posts that they have 4 month old frenchies that weighs 12 lbs or more. Is my doggie severely underweight?! and her ears are still floppy but i guess she's still teething. should i wait until shes 6 months 'till i try taping? is taping okay?

Edited by author Mon Dec 12, '11 9:24pm PST

[notify]
Ch. Luke, in memory.

Luke--- the dog talking

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 4:33am PST 
While all puppies grow at different rates, her weight does seem terribly light for her age. Have you talked with her breeder and/or seen her parents?? How big were they? Are you sure she is really as old as you were told??? Most of my guys are 4 to 5 lbs at 8 weeks.
As far as ears go, I have had Frenchies since the early '80's and have NEVER had to tape ears...they are normally completely up before 4 months. Occasionally, some will curl back at the tips but that is normally only during teething at 5 to 6 months of age.
With only one not so great photo to judge by, it looks like she is missing lots of hair around her eyes??? This can be a result of demodex mange and can indicate a compromised immune system. Small patches of missing hair can occur in many Frenchies but, unless it is reflected light or something from the photo, she appears to have quite a bit of hair loss.
Have you had her to your veterinarian and what is their feeling? Is she thin as well or just small all over?
[notify]
Pretty

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 6:40am PST 
Thank you for your response! smile my frenchie has the looks of a frenchie now (big upper body, ear standing up the other half way there) I haven't seen not can I contact the parents and the breeder frown i was told and I have the papers that says its a pure breed do I'm just thinking that she's just small. Hahaha! How can I add a photo to show you a better picture?
[notify]

Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 11:41am PST 
I think it would behoove you to get to your vet very, very soon. If you bought her from a breeder that you can't contact I'm sort of worried.

Best case scenario- You were duped and she's a mutt.
Worst- There could be something seriously wrong with her.

Papers don't really mean scratch in this situation. Can you tell us more about where you got her? How is her behavior? Feeding habits?

We can try to provide insight, but a vet is really really your best bet here. Maybe she's just small. That's gravy if so. Usually dogs aren't THAT much under the average weight though.

Oh, there's also a chance she's younger than you thought. Sometimes breeders will lie about that to get the puppies out sooner.
[notify]
Ch. Luke, in memory.

Luke--- the dog talking

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 2:48pm PST 
You can put the photo on her page.
Frankly, the photo you have on her page looks like she is only 5 or 6 weeks old.
I would bet that with a breeder you cannot contact AND with her size and looks, she was really MUCH YOUNGER than you were told.
AKC papers can be easily faked and often are by unscrupulous breeders so that they can get the puppies out of their kennels before they start costing them money. It is not unheard of to have puppies in pet stores that are "claimed" to be 10 weeks or so and are in actuality only 4 or 5 weeks.
This is why when investing the money and time in a new puppy it certainly pays to visit the breeder and see how and where the pups are raised for yourself. Did you get any copies of the health testing her parents had before breeding, such as CERF & DNA Eye clearances, OFA spine and patella clearances, vWD testing, Baer hearing testing and heart testing???
Frenchies are a breed prone to MANY hereditary health issues and without copies of this testing, can be a ticking timebomb.
Hopefully, you have received these test results and she is doing fine now!
[notify]