GO!

Very, very serious situation

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 1:54am PST 
I have an incredibly seriously awful situation on my hands and, as I've written here before, I can't believe I'm writing this.
It's 1:23am on the west coast and I just got home from the (human)emergency room because Mikey full on attacked me tonight. Full on, got a hold of my ankle, left arm and right hand.
I have zero idea what caused this. Zero.
We got home from a very uneventful walk and got ready for bed exactly as we do every single night and as I walk into my bedroom he's laying on his bed, as he is every night and I leaned down to rub his head, as I do every, single night and he just went for it.
I'm pretty sure I didn't step on his paw. I may have, but I didn't feel it. That would be the only thing that would have provoked this.
Every night it's the same routine. Every night.

I'm thinking I need to put him down. His attack wasn't mild in the slightest. He got a hold of my ankle, achillies area and I some how got him off it, then he grabbed my arm (solid, full on bite for a second or two or three because I couldn't get my arm free. Nor could I get my ankle free for a second or two or three), then he went for my legs again and I stuck my hand in his mouth to pull his mouth off the next body part and I started yelling for him to sit, but it wasn't working.
Finally after I said it 10 times, he stopped trying to bite me and he sat and I walked out of the room, closed the door and assessed the damage.
I have 4 or 5 BIG puncture wounds in my left forearm, two or three puncture wounds in my right ankle and one puncture in my left thumb.
I thought I could drive myself to the hospital, but I was afraid I would pass out and it felt as though my ankle was really bleeding, so I called 911.
I'm all bandaged up, no stitches, just huge holes. One went all the way through in my forearm.
800mg of motrin has made the pain subside for now, but I know I have serious emotional pain coming.
I know I can't keep him after this. I can't risk that kind of unstable behavior.
I've never had to make a decision like this before and I'm feeling so freaking alone.
I don't know how to even go about it. Do I call animal control? Do I take him somewhere? I just don't know.
I know if I call animal control it will be a huge scene and believe it or not, I don't want the neighbors to see Mikey taken out of my house in such a manner.
And I know I'm going to be petrified to deal with him in the morning. I'm not even sure I could get animal control out to my house in a timely manner. So does he sit in my room?
I'd have a friend come deal with him, but his father is dying of cancer and he's been doing night shifts at his fathers house to watch after him so I don't feel comfortable asking him.

At the hospital I wasn't emotional, but now that I'm home and he's locked in my bedroom and I'm in the spare bedroom, I'm starting to get very emotional.
I know I have to do this.
Am I making the right decision?
I know everyone has different ways of dealing with things, but is this something you would do? Put your dog down after an attack?

Any words of encouragement, advice or anything would be much appreciated. I know it's the middle of the night, but I had to put this out here before I laid my head down to sleep. I feel so lost.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 2:20am PST 
Oh Mikey, I am so very sorryhughughughug I can only imagine the emotional pain you are going through. Only you can make that desicion but no one would blame you if you did. As to how to go about it , if you go that route, perhaps you could call the vet and explain the situation? Maybe they would have suggestions as to the logistics of doing it? I am so sorry this happenedhughughughughug
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 2:33am PST 
I agree completely with Bunny. Entirely. Only you can make this decision, but if you feel it's the right one and you cannot handle the unpredictable attacks and issues, it may be better for him in the long run too, to let him go. In another home, he could do the same to someone else, it could escalate with you over time or another person, and it's too unpredictable. It's not safe anymore, in my honest opinion. I've never been one to give up on a dog, but sometimes, there's nothing more you can do for a dog.

If I got attacked that way, I could never feel I could trust that dog again. I would constantly be guarding myself, while keeping the dog tied or locked away if I kept it, because I'd fear being attacked by it again. It wouldn't be safe in another home and I'd constantly wonder. The emotional pain of a dog you trust doing that is painful and hard to deal with too.

Animal control may not be the option you want to go with, but in the end, it may be the safest one to go with too, if you're too scared to open that door and deal with him.

You know we're all here for you, many of us will support whatever decision you make and will try to help you cope with it. You've got support from me and Charlie no matter what you choose to do. I really hope your wounds heal up well, that you're not in too much physical pain. We're here for the emotional stuff, okay?

If you need a friend to be with you when you do it(if you do), call a friend to come stay with you. You're not alone, no matter the decision you make and I hope you do what you feel is best for both you, and Mikey. hug hug hug
[notify]

ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 2:33am PST 
Mikey, hug

I PM'd you. If there is anything I can do for you, please don't be afraid to ask.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 3:16am PST 
I am very sorry this has happened to you. I would suggest talking to your vet because there are several health problems that can cause aggression in dogs.

Encephalitis is a brain inflammation that can cause aggressive or fearful behavior. The cause of this condition usually associated with an infection.

Hypothyrodism One of the symptoms can bebehavioral change including fear and aggression.

Congntive dysfunction syndeom It is the equivalent of alzheimer's in people.

Hydrocephalus Which is water on the brain. It is most common in brachycephalic breeds like pugs,bulldogs,boxers and chihuahuas.

Brain tumors can lead to aggression.

Rage syndrom, Which are also known as behavioral seizures. It causes partial seiazures in the part of the brain that controls aggression. If a dog suddenly becomes aggressive and in the next moment returns back to thier normal calm self this is a sign of this condition.

I wouldn't rush into any decision just in case it is health related and he couldn't help what he was doing.
I wish you and Mikey all the best.
hughughug

Edited by author Sat Dec 3, '11 3:21am PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 4:04am PST 
Mikey I am so sorry this happened. If I was in your shoes I would have to have my dog put down... I can tolerate many things but being frightened of my pet is not one of them. Please call someone to come and be with you as soon as you are able, and don't go near him again until you do. Your safety is my biggest concern when I say that.

Again I am just so, so sorry. Please be careful.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 5:12am PST 
I'm so sorry you're faced with such a dreadful situation frown I can only imagine how distraught you are, i know i would be too!

At the end of the day only you can make the final decision, and it's pointless anyone saying what they would do as they're not in the same situation, myself included.

I know you've worked with trainers and behaviourists and done your utmost to help Mikey with his DA issues. You've been 100% committed to him throughout hug
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 6:10am PST 
I'm so sorry to hear this. If I were in your situation I would also have my dog put to sleep. He's such a big dog, and unfortunately as a result the danger he poses as a result is elevated. I think I recall you saying he'd (re?)directed to you once before, and it was a scary situation.

You've done very well by him. I'm sure he couldn't ask for a better owner. All the best.
[notify]
Holly

google Marc- Emery!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 6:43am PST 
You've done a lot for Mikey. You'll do right by him and whatever decision you make will be for the best.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, I wish I had something -more- to say. You're all in my thoughts. hug

Edited by author Sat Dec 3, '11 6:44am PST

[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 6:50am PST 
I'm so sorry to hear this. You have been an amazing guardian for Mikey and he knows that. I know you will make the best decision for the pair of you and no one will fault you whatever you choose. It's an incredibly difficult situation to be in and a tough choice to make. I have no idea what I would do if I were in a similar situation.

I wish you the best. hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10