GO!

New Grooming Business

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Maddie

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 1:05pm PST 
I am the head groomer at a new business that opened in Sioux City Iowa. It has daycare, boarding, indoor dog park, grooming, as well as a therapy spa tub. The catch is it JUST opened. So right now I am grooming about 3 or 4 dogs a week right now. I am originally a groomer from Petsmart. I am used to having that many dogs everyday if not more. We have gone to Pet events, on the new phone book covers, made a facebook site, and I even made a craigslist ad. I am wondering if anyone has any extra helpful advice to get it going, I love this job but it's getting SUPER tight with money!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 3:23pm PST 
When we opened I visited ALL the area vet clinics with one of my freshly groomed poodles and invited the employees as well as the vets to examine the dog and to please recommend us. I left a pile of brochures with each clinic.
Don't know if it worked or not, but within a month we were experiencing a three week wait period for all grooming appointments.
And, those grooming clients also became boarding and daycare clients as well.
Ten years later and we run at capacity most of the time and don't do any advertising as these vets do it all for us!
[notify]
Maddie

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 8:15am PST 
we have gone to all the vets and explained the therapy tub since it is the only one around our area and left brochures as well. Haven't brought any groomed dogs in though, might have to try that
[notify]