GO!

Am I Over Reacting?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 9:43am PST 
The Issue - long standing problems with dog owning neighbors.

My dogs - sometimes unleashed while in front yard on way to car or mailbox.

His dogs- in his fenced backyard three houses down.

Problem: He has several times come out in his yard to curse me loudly for letting my dogs "loose without leashes." Kind of peaked today with verbal threats and much, much loud cursing.

I have had it. I am trying to get a peace order. I am afraid this will escalate the issue, but it is escalating anyway.

Going mental here.

edited to say I mispoke. Not a protective order, a lesser animal called a "peace order."

Edited by author Wed Oct 5, '11 9:44am PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 10:22am PST 
Savannah I don't think you are over reacting. I ignored several threats and confrontations with a neighbor.
One evening I heard Sabi barking in the front yard and looked out the window. This neighbor was leaning over my fence video camera in hand waving her arm at Sabi in an obvious attempt to lure the dog into grabbing her. I lost my mind. Almost escalated to a fist fight, pretty sure I told her if she ever went near my dogs again I would burn her house down. The police when they showed up informed her that what she was doing was criminal harrassment and now she is not allowed near my property. Similar to the peace bond thing. If she breaches they will charge her.
I should state that in my case all of my other neighbors happily spoke up on my behalf. This woman had been certain from the day I moved in that because Sabi was a Security K9(I drive a marked vehicle) she must be vicious.
You are not over reacting if you are fearful that harm will come to yourself or your dogs.
[notify]
Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 10:47am PST 
Savannah, I would encourage you to get the peace bond as you are trying to do. You can never be too careful, and that man is the one over-reacting and being aggressive about the whole thing. It would be one thing if you were just allowing the dogs to free-roam, but if they are only off-leash to the car or mailbox and back then that should not be an issue for anyone (I do it myself at times, as do my neighbors). My neighbors have over-reacted to my dogs (also to the point where I believe they have tried to harm them, but unlike Sabi I have no proof); it can be quite frustrating (especially when they get mad about something your dog does when their own dogs do it all the timeconfused ). Sabi, if I saw someone provoking my dogs like that I would go balistic!! Anyhoo, hope you are able to get the situation under control, and that just might mean getting the police involved. Good luck, and let us know what happens!hug
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 12:08pm PST 
Okay, I got a temporary peace order. I had to pay 40 dollars to file and another 40 to have it served. And I have a court date which he is going to have to appear at.

I am afraid he is going to come as Dr. Jekyll and seem all reasonable and sane. Because in fact, my dogs have been out of the yard a few times, but nothing to warrant this kind of over the top abuse.

And I am not real sure about the neighbors either. Like him, many of them are youngish guys in Marine Construction. Probably friends. So I might be in for it...but I couldn't stand it anymore.

This morning I was picking up the paper with dizzy little Cookie running around and she does run around like a nut. Round and round and near his yard, but not in it. So...that was enough to start him off.

I do not let my dogs "run loose" but am afraid he will represent it that way.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 1:42pm PST 
Definitely not overreacting.

Hugs to you and your crew.big hug
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 1:51pm PST 
I wouldn't want to know what my blood pressure is right now. Thanks. I know I have to acknowledge that they have run about sometimes. My point, which I hope the law agrees with, is that his response was wrong.

I gotta feel that way.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 6:23pm PST 
Good Luck in court. No one should have to put up with that kind of abuse. I'm lucky I was able to convince most of my neighbors that Akita's are in fact good dogs.Still have one boy 12-14 years old who likes to try to tease them but have spoken to several parents of kids he plays with about what I've seen from this kid when he plays at their houses so I'm sure word has gotten back to his parents as well.
I would speak to his parents myself but I can't figure out where he lives or who he is. I don't want him at risk although my dogs haven't bitten anyone ever I have worked long and hard to have good dogs and don't want them at risk for a little brat who should know better. We occasionally allow Mika loose out front because her recall is excellent,leave it is as well and she sits next to hubby while he washes the car or sits next to the grandkids while they play on the sidewalk.Kai stays tethered because he currently has a bunny fetish and we don't want to risk him running on the street after them. We did have problems with dogfood/treats appearing in our yard when the landlord of the apartments next door moved into one of them and the dogs barked at him,but since they've gotten used to him they no longer bother. You are absolutely not over reacting,you need to protect your dogs and yourself. This neighbor sounds like he could very well be a danger to both.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 8:16pm PST 
hey, glad you got the order.

But..does your county/city have leash laws? My county says dogs, even on private property, need to be controlled. So if your dogs even step off your property..you will look like the bad guy because you are the one breaking the law. I think one of our cities (not mine) in the county says dogs must be leashed, even while on private property, if not contained by a fence.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 5, '11 8:58pm PST 
B&D,
That's a god point.Here in the city all dogs must be leashed unless on their own property. In alot of surrounding areas of the same county the law says in the control of the owner which can be off leash as long as the dog will listen.When I was much younger I had a cocker spaniel female who listened so well she would stay in the yard even while in heat.We had a large male dog that repeatedly came in the yard after her.Called animal control and brought her outside,let her run up the yard to do her business,ACO warned me I would be fined if she left the yard,along came stray to chase her,she ran right to me and AC was able to capture and return male to his home along with citation for running at large. But never had to worry about leash law because I had control of the dog. OP's area may be different.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Oct 6, '11 8:58am PST 
Savvy I agree with B&D, check out your town's laws and I would print them out too. If the dogs are remaining on your property line 100% of the time, and your law says that they don't need to be leashed as long as they are within your property line, then you should be fine. If the dogs are stepping foot off of your property then that will be a different story and can be a detriment to your case. Good luck!!

Edited by author Thu Oct 6, '11 8:59am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 16: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16