GO!

Small Breed Jogging Partners

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 7:19pm PST 
So, tonight as I was sitting on the back porch tossing a ball for my ball-crazy rat terrier, I thought about just how much she runs. At 13 lbs she can fun faster than me, farther than me, harder than me.

This got me thinking, we tell people dog breeds that are great jogging companions: mostly med/large hunting breeds (labs, weims, vizslas, shepherds) but do our smaller friends get the short end of the stick?

What small-medium dogs could make an excellent jogging companion?

My rat terrier, at 14" tall and 13 lbs, can outrun me. I'm willing to say she could go miles at a human's pace.

Your imput?

Edited by author Sat Aug 27, '11 7:21pm PST

[notify]
Dasy

What's next

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 7:40pm PST 
A lot of toy and small breeds are active dogs. Most if not all terriers would be good jogging dogs. All the toy poodles I've met have met run circles around their people. a number of the sporting breeds such as cockers would do well also. The only concern I'd have is with smaller dogs they have to work harder to keep up, heat exhaustion could be an issue if the person isn't careful. Stepping on a small dog would also be a whole lot easier than running over a great dane too.
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 7:57pm PST 
Gonna have to second the terriers especially. My friend had a foster that was a JRT who was such an energetic and athletic dog and would go with my friend for runs for a couple miles while she was on the track team. A woman came to the rescue saying she ran 6-10 miles a day and trained for longer distances and they paired the two together and when she gave the rescue and updated saying she was surprised how athletic he was and that he could probably go further than she could lol
[notify]

Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 8:50pm PST 
wave
I hike with my pack and I'm the first one to get unsettled if we miss our exercise routine. I love it and can run circles around my larger pack members.

I do think we (little dogs) get overlooked when it comes to "active lifestyles." We've heard it more than once on the trails... "your little dogs hike?"

Yep, a well exercised dog (of any size) is a better behaved dog. No neurosis here way to go Not a yappy, nippy, heel biter, pacing, nervous type at all.

BTW - I am 8 lbs and 10 years old...been hiking since I came to my new home at 3 years of age.
happy dance
[notify]
Sven

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 8:52pm PST 
My 8 lb Papillon will jog with me for miles upon miles. He can also run faster than me biking at a comfortable pace. He is tireless.
[notify]
camarillo- "BRILLO"

I'm addicted to- mud !

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 2:46am PST 
^ ^

terriers can go all day. the border terrier is the most obvious being that they are bred to run along with horses. The Cairn terrier is a good choice too .... think about it , this dog ran the whole yellow brick road... stood up to a lion...outsmarted the winged monkey minions .... and absolutely took no crap from the Wicked witch of the West... now thats a running partner you can count on ...
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 6:26am PST 
Brillo! big laugh

Great responses pups!
[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 8:43am PST 
laugh out loudbig laughlaugh out loudapplause
[notify]
Radar- O'Reilly

15 pounds of - pure spunk

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 9:21am PST 
I know quiet a few larger paps who go jogging with their owners plus a few poms that are good hiking partners. Plus several min pins that are go go go! Terriers are also what I would go for though if active was what I was going for. My Westie can out run and has better endurance than our pointer! Borders, Australian, Jacks and Fox terriers are also notoriously active.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '11 10:59am PST 
Miniature Poodles are very active and agile, if you keep them in a puppy/short coat they'll resist the warmer months pretty well too. big grin

And don't forget Alaskan Klee Kais. happy dance
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3