GO!

Diagnosed with Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Desi Ray

I hear a- noise...what's- Desi into now?

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '11 5:24pm PST 
I received some sad news today. Desi Ray, my 8 year old Poodle/Shih-Tzu mix was diagnosed with AIHA. He is in the hospital as I write this. It all seems so surreal. Two days ago, he was fine. Then he became lethargic and I knew something was wrong when he wouldn't eat his joint soft chew. But then, just as quick, he'd seem normal. I kept an eye on him. I finally decided to take him to the vet today. The diagnosis was made. Desi has been a dog that has "cheated" the grim ripper a few times. He had an acute Pancreatitis attack about a year or two ago. He is always eating stuff he shouldn't, like socks, undies, towels, paper, plastic things, bugs, the list goes on. We've been lucky he has had no obstruction. He also has bilateral rear luxating patellas that we've kept surgery free with joint supplements. But it looks like we've drawn the unlucky straw at last. Please keep Desi and his family in your prayers. It's a sad, sad time for us.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Aug 12, '11 4:10am PST 
I'll be praying for Desi. I don't know much about this, but he has already shown how brave he is for what he has been through. I hope there is some treatment...something that can help Desi beat this one too. Hugs....hughughughughughughughug

P.S. I did some reading and though diagnosis is guarded, there are definitely success cases out there. Hopefully your vet goes over all that with you so you have all the options

You might find this helpful:

http://www.cloudnet.com/~jdickson/index.html

Edited by author Fri Aug 12, '11 4:17am PST

[notify]
Desi Ray

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 3:52pm PST 
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts Scooter! Desi is still in the hospital. He is eating and drinking and a little more active. His blood levels improved a little yesterday only to go back down to where they were today. I think he will come home tomorrow for a couple of days, but his blood will be retested two days after that. I really don't know if he'll survive this yet.
[notify]

Ellie

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 4:37pm PST 
Sorry to hear this. My beagle had AIHA.

Sending good thoughts and prayers.
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 5:14pm PST 
hughughugDesiRayhughughug
Sending our prayers and love for you sweetie. SO sorry to hear this.stay strong and fight.flowers

A very dear Dogster pal of ours Angel Mica was lost to IMHA.little angel Her page and her Mom are a wealth of info on this horrid disease. She runds a fund to help Research a cure for it as well. I pmailed you some info. click the Hilighted green Link for Angel Micas page or copy &paste the Url if it does not work.way to go

dogAngel Micas pagedog

dogAngel Micas Plus Info pagedog

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Plus_Informational/threa d/558808/last
[notify]
Desi Ray

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 6:11am PST 
Thanks you both DarlaMae and Ellie. I will be reading the info. you gave me DarlaMae. It is a terrible disease to be sure. I know it's not catching or anything, but I'm not worrying about my other 3 dogs...and watching them like a hawk. It just tears you up cry
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 11:49am PST 
I am so sorry..will be praying for Desi.
[notify]
Desi Ray

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 5:45pm PST 
Thanks Bama! Desi did not come home today as thought. I visited him in the hospital and to me he didn't look any better. They did take another blood test today and his PCV was 14.5%....still not good and about the same as when he went in Thursday. He liked seeing me and ate a little wet food from my hand. He is not doing well. His vet wasn't in today (I knew this already), but he is in tomorrow. We will decide what to do then. Most likely, Desi will be sent to the rainbow bridge cry. Please pray for him and us. Thank you all.
[notify]
Ty

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 3:45pm PST 
I know how this is having a dog wiht it a few years back. My heart and prayers go out to you and please keep us posted.hug
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 4:36pm PST 
hug's and prayers for you and Desi...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3