GO!

$1000 to adopt a rescue puppy?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 1:43pm PST 
Is this normal? It's been a few years since I really looked into rescue but I just came across a litter of rescued mixed breed puppies on Petfinder and they want an adoption fee of $1000! I thought $400-500 (what some of the breed rescues fees were for puppies when I had been looking to adopt) was a little higher than I expected, but this is the first time I've seen a $1000 adoption fee... Is this really what it costs nowadays to adopt a puppy? thinking

One of the puppies I am talking about:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/20273334

Edited by author Mon Jul 18, '11 2:12pm PST

[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 1:58pm PST 
$1000 does seem a little steep but most rescues do ask for higher donations than a shelter and this is a puppy, although its a Newfie/Dane mix. thinking Saint Bernard Rescue was $300 last time I adopted which was about 2 years ago.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 2:26pm PST 
Maybe it's because they're doing a stomach tack in addition to a neuter? Not sure how much that surgery usually costs but that's the only thing I can think of. I agree $1000 is pretty high for an adoption fee though even with those procedures.
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 2:30pm PST 
According to their page all their dog range from 600-1000 dollars.

What *is* nice about that price is it does include a gastropexy plus the typical spay/neuter, ect. They also offer payment plans. It would cost a new owner 600-1000 bucks for their vet to do this stuff an a giant dog.

Really, when you add up costs- vaccines, dentals (which they say they do if needed), speuters, gastropexy-most of the time on giant sized dogs, plus vet costs to get them well if brought into rescue sick-they are prob just breaking even. Especially for a smaller rescue.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 2:38pm PST 
They're probably doing all the vetting themselves and then asking for a larger adoption fee to insure that it's done. And like B&D said, just breaking even.

I mean I paid a $200 fee for Jewel (with $50 back after proof of spay) and then turned around and dropped over $500 at the vet's getting shots, spay and dental. So what would have been the difference if they had done all her vetting and I had paid an adoption fee of $700?
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 3:44pm PST 
I have never seen an adoption fee that high! I guess the other posts explained why, but it just seems like so much money. If they really put that much into the vet bills and are trying to break even, I can understand and respect that. But hopefully they are not taking advantage of people who want to rescue. I love rescuing and mixed breeds but I could not afford to rescue a pup for $1000. I have always paid about $70 for a speuter, $10 for rabies, etc.... so I can't imagine bills being that incredibly high for routine procedures. Even with large breed rescues in my area, the fees have never exceeded $300 and they are speutered, UTD on shots, HW and flea meds.
[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 4:14pm PST 
I will never complain about the cost of a rescue dog....

If I add up the Vet care, boarding, trucking the dog north, the time and expenses of fostering, running adoption events - They are all about $1,000 dogs.

Sonny was a foster after his adoptive parent couldn't handle him. Because of that the rescue forwarded his full medical file, including the bill. The ASPCA had a $900 bill for his Vet care and boarding. That is before fostering in Mississippi, trucking him north, and micro-chipping. We adopted him for a paultry $365.00.

Snickers was a $60 Humane Society adoption. Unfortunately they failed to diagnose and treat his Giardia or mange (or whatever it was). It took about $700 in Vet care to get him healthy again.

Who said there is no such thing as a free dog? No such thing as a cheap dog either.
[notify]
Sonny

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 4:15pm PST 

If I add up the Vet care, boarding, trucking the dog north, the time and expenses of fostering, running adoption events - They are all about $1,000 dogs.

Sonny was a foster after his adoptive parent couldn't handle him. Because of that the rescue forwarded his full medical file, including the bill. The ASPCA had a $900 bill for his Vet care and boarding. That is before fostering in Mississippi, trucking him north, and micro-chipping. We adopted him for a paultry $365.00.

Snickers was a $60 Humane Society adoption. Unfortunately they failed to diagnose and treat his Giardia or mange (or whatever it was). It took about $700 in Vet care to get him healthy again.

Who said there is no such thing as a free dog? No such thing as a cheap dog either.
[notify]
Sonny

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 4:15pm PST 

[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Tue Jul 19, '11 1:26pm PST 
That does seem steeper than what I usually see in rescues, but they do include a tummy tuck.... If you look at their other dogs, they are at the low end of the adoption fee. It's pretty typical for rescues to charge more for puppies since they are more adoptable.

There's a shelter that adopts out rabbits for $75, much more than what a pet store charges, but it includes spay/neuter.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4