GO!

Oral Papilloma

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Obie

If in doubt, ask- your poodle!

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 7:58pm PST 
Hello!! I have a 9 month old stand. poodle who seems to have oral papilloma's. (Taking him to the vet on tuesday to get it checked out)

I am just wondering how and if at all contagious this is to other dogs? I was planning on taking him to an event where other dogs will be there but don't want to take him if he is going to spread this. I have read that the incubation period is 1-2 months so there isn't a really good way to tell how fast it spreads is there?

I hardly know anything about this virus so any info is appreciated!

Thanks!
[notify]
In Memory Of- Fade

Mommy's Guardian- Angel

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 8:09pm PST 
Yes. I can be spread to other dogs. It normally only effects dogs with a compromised immune system. How old is your dog? Does you dog have any kind of other health problems?
[notify]
Obie

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 8:17pm PST 
He is 9 months old. Healthy as a horse in all other aspects.

How contagious is it exactly. Is it an airborne virus or does the dog have to have direct contact? (Just wondering so I can keep him away from other dogs on our walks. LOL)
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 8:17pm PST 
Yes- papillomas are contagious. They are more common in puppies than in adults. Last year both of my dogs picked up the papilloma virus at the dog park. It cost me quite a bit of money to get the lumps looked at. I know it's kind of a bummer, but I think the other owners at the even would appreciate a dog with a possible contagious disease staying at home.
[notify]
Obie

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 8:49pm PST 
Thanks so much!! He will be staying home, poor boy will have to get extra belly rubs to make up for it.. wink
[notify]
Dylan

Dylan aka "my- red boy"

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '11 8:16am PST 
Just an FYI about my experience with my dog's oral papilloma. I believe he contracted the virus from sharing drinking water at a doggie daycare. After having the initial eruption removed surgically while under anesthesia for neutering, it came back threefold. My vets'answer as to what to do was, "Let's wait and see what happens?" Not a good answer(for me, anyway). I found a product online called Nzymes which was an amazing product. It was a liquid which I diluted and added to his drinking water, sprayed the inside of his mouth 3 times a day and applied directly on the eruption with a cotton pad 3 times a day. In less than two weeks, the papilloma was totally gone and has never returned(almost two years have passed. Nzymes.com
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '11 11:34am PST 
Chance got one on her lip when she was young. Her vet also said they are common in young dogs. It went away on its own and never came back.
We just made sure to keep her from sharing water with other dogs and at that time she did not share toys so that wasn't a problem.
[notify]