GO!

Garbage cans

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Tue May 17, '11 2:41pm PST 
So my boyfriend and I just moved in with his mother and she has some fancy-pants garbage can that was given to her as a gift. It's stainless steel with a hydraulic type lid. Anyways- the amazing thing is that Chloe & Lia have NOT attempted to get into it at all- and they are the queens of garbage-destroying! Seriously- at our old house we had to put the trash can in a closet to keep them out of it! At the house before that one we had to put the trash in the basement and shut the door when we left- it's always been a major management issue so I'm shocked that they haven't attempted to invade this one! Must be something about the lid?!?!

BF's Mom is moving out in a couple of months (we bought her house from her) and she's taking her garbage can with her and I would really like something like it.

I know they are expensive so I just wanted to see if any Dogsters have a fancy pants garbage can that they recommend, or if anyone has any suggestions on what type/where to get one, how much did it cost, etc!
[notify]
Nikita

i want to go- outside!

Barked: Tue May 17, '11 7:02pm PST 
We got ours at Bed bath & Beyond for about $100, but I've seen something similar at walmart for $30-40 I think. If you have a Garden Ridge near you, I think they have some cheaper ones too.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue May 17, '11 7:23pm PST 
I just got a new one a few months ago at Bed Bath & Beyond... It's a 13 gallon made by Simple Human. It's a step-can with a lockable, pop-up lid... $49.99. way to go It's plastic though, not stainless steel.

Mine's like this, but a bit larger...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=1492286 5
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue May 17, '11 7:59pm PST 
I think I have the exact one that Titus has. I heart it.
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Wed May 18, '11 7:09am PST 
I asked her last night and hers came from Bed Bath and Beyond too (cost around $150.00 though yeesh!) so apparently that is the place to go! I think I've only ever set foot in that store once a long long time ago! shrug

ETA: Titus the locking lid is genius! That might be the one for us!!

This might be the one she has, looks like it:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=15045884

Edited by author Wed May 18, '11 7:15am PST

[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Thu May 19, '11 9:34am PST 
Home Depot and Lowe's usually have cans like this too, but their prices tend to be better. I'd shop around before she leaves to see what will work best. way to go
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu May 19, '11 11:15am PST 
I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for 35 bucks. Best 35 bucks I've ever spent just about. I didn't look at Titus link, but mine is also Simply Human brand so I bet it's similar. It's not stainless, it's plastic. It works great. The lid drops slowly and there is a latch on it, though I've rarely even latched it. Only when chicken bones have been thrown in there. Lu can't even smell the garbage and it's like she's forgotten it even exists.way to go It really cuts down on kitchen odors, bonus!

I took a long time picking it out because many of the models won't take regular garbage bags you buy in the grocery store. You have to get their special bags to fit. That to me was ridiculous, don't want to be making a special trip to BB&B just for garbage can liners. So I was the crazy lady standing there with my usual garbage bags making sure they fit in the display models.
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Thu May 19, '11 7:32pm PST 
I got a stainless steel I think it's 13 gallons from walmart. It has the step on thing to open the lid, don't know if that will be a problem for you, but my dogs never even try to get in it, where as the old one we had that was plastic with the moving lid didn't stop them lol.
[notify]
Quentin- Flagg

King Q - king of clown- town

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 7:42am PST 
We got one at Costco that is also a Simple Human brand. Ours doesn't have a closing lid though. What it does have is the fact that it is pretty large and tall and the lid is coned up kind of with a good sized hole in the top of the cone for putting trash in. Our dog will walk up to it and try to sniff it, but he can't really reach it, and he is really tall and leggy, and I don't think he can even tell there's a hole in the top of it. Since we've had it, we've had no problems at all with our dog getting into the trash. It is supposed to take the special brand name bags, but I find that the regular 13 gallon bags work in it just fine. This can cost us about $50. It's attractive and holds a ton of trash.

We had one with a closing lid for a while and my hubby hated it because the lid got to where it didn't work right and everytime we pushed the foot pedal to get the lid to pop up, the whole can would move and it was really annoying. We also found it to be too small; we were filling it up almost daily.

Simple Human products are wonderful though. I highly recommend.
[notify]
Bella

Rub my Belly!

Barked: Sat May 28, '11 10:55am PST 
We got an awesome trashcan from Lowe's. It was $40, it is not stainless but it is black with silver. It has the foot pedal to open it but the cool thing about it is it locks!!! When we brought home our new dog she was gated in the kitchen but she kept lifting the lid to the trash can...so we found this one, and we love it!!!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_292720-29177-CW1320INT_0__?productI d=3078317&Ntt=trashcans&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dtrashcan s&facetInfo=
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2