GO!

Wet food and dental health

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Sat Mar 12, '11 10:13pm PST 
I've always heard a diet of primarily wet food increases dental decay--dental problems . . .

Is there any truth to that? Should I be extra vigilant about brushing teeth if my dog gets wet food mixed with dry or any sort of wet food? shrug
[notify]
Boston

King of- everything

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 7:28am PST 
Whether you feed kibble or wet you should brush at least once every other day. Both types of food will provide u with tartar build up. The only food that wont and will clean teeth is raw. I feed canned and kibble and I brush every day with tropiclean oral gel and my cats and dogs have pearly white teeth.
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 8:00am PST 
Wow, your cats let you brush their teeth too?!!
[notify]

Boston

King of- everything

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 10:58am PST 
O ya they are all good but snowflake I do it but quickly and she is fed raw as well and that has helped alot!
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 2:09pm PST 
Wet food and dry food both can get trap between the lips and gum line, where they sit holding bacteria close to gums.

Ideally twice daily brushing should happen. Or at least any brushing more than 1-2x weekly (if you wait longer between brushing the tartar is too stuck on to be removed by brushing alone. If brushing is hard you can try running a gauze pad along the gum line after they eat to clear out any food that is stuck in the mouth.

What some people have luck with is allowing their dogs to do the "brushing" for them. Giving rawhide, bully stick, rope, RMB, nylabones, Nutridents, greenies, or other chewing toys. There are also some fruits and vegetables that if left in large chunks will help to clear some of the food residue away too - apples with peel, pears, celery, carrot (try giving a whole large one to gnaw on), broccoli and cauliflower (a whole stalk) or cucumber (keep peel on).
[notify]
Baby (Heaven- Bound- 9-26-06)

Eyes broke - nose is not!

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 2:26pm PST 
Baby would eat cow poo. Took her to the vet and he went to check her teeth and had green fingers... eeeewwwww.... I had to brush her teeth ever day to keep the green stains off!! smile She loved having her teeth brushed with chicken flavored toothpaste..... cloud 9
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 6:34pm PST 
No truth to it at all. I've seen many dogs who eat only dry food and never any wet, and they have awful teeth. Only guarantee for good teeth is brushing.
[notify]
Taboo Crew- Max, Bindi,- Lily &

Be the moose

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 10:46pm PST 
Wet food vs Dry food makes no difference.

Neither clean teeth, so both can cause decay, none more worse than the other.
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 1:19am PST 
Leah hit the nail on the head with the twice daily brushing. Scooter recently had an appointment with a vet whose PHD dissertation was Evaluation of Periodontal Disease with Full-Mouth Radiography in Dogs that evaluated 8,308 existing teeth of 233 small breed dogs referred to his clinic for dental treatment between November 2008 and June 2010. It's very enlightening.

He's REALLY big on brushing twice a day and on using the gauze method if you don't have time to do it immediately after meals.
[notify]
♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 5:59am PST 
Well, because of severe health issues, I can only eat "wet food" (home cooking) and have all my life. I DO NOT let Momma brush my teeth so she knows there has to be substitutes to do the job. She gives me treats that "clean" my teeth (raw meat, chewy treats) and I have good oral health, according to my vet.

Just as an aside, my Daddy is an oral surgeon and the key to removing tartar from teeth is not crunchy kibble that will become a paste and stick to teeth once it is wetted down with saliva. The key is to have chew things that require the dog to chew, chew, chew and RUB on the teeth.....like a big hunk of raw. The rubbing is key!
[notify]
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4