GO!

What kind of fruits and vegetables can dogs eat?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Baby

The Beast

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 2:50pm PST 
Hi, my dog baby is on a diet so what are some good fruits and veggies she can eat as treats and have mixed in with her food?I also give her some chicken breast mixed with the food but not all the time and i give her carrots.What else can she eat?

Thanks
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 3:30pm PST 
I think you're better off giving Baby all the nutrition she needs from her food, even though she's on a diet the amount of dog food shouldn't be cut back drastically unless you plan to balance it with a homecooked or raw diet, not just replacing a bulk with veggies or fruit. For treats that is ok but not for the meal IMHO... Weight loss will take time but it should be slow so it's ok. Remember to exercise Baby and feed her the amount she should eat of her dog food for her desired weight. If she likes carrot sticks or sugar snap peas you can cut those up in small pebble sizes and give that as treats.
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 3:53pm PST 
I have been know to give my dogs carrots and green beans in their food. As far as treats, i like the blueberry and apple treats that Nutro puts out. you can even smell the blueberry before you open the bag.
[notify]

Seth

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 3:54pm PST 
I have been know to give my dogs carrots and green beans in their food. As far as treats, i like the blueberry and apple treats that Nutro puts out. you can even smell the blueberry before you open the bag.
[notify]
Ouija

its ouija- monster!

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 4:26pm PST 
i use bananas and apples (usually frozen) for treats. Watch out because carrots are sugary and too many can cause weight gain!(at least it happened to my friends schnauzer)

My boys also love:
squash cooked
brussel sprouts cooked
sweet potatos cooked
pineapple
celery
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 5:13pm PST 
Oh my dogs love fruit and veggies as treats. That's one reason why I like to keep a high protein kibble. I wind up sharing my veggies with my dogs quite a lot

Musk Melon (canteloupe, cassaba, honeydew)
orange wedges
apple slices
cooked pumpkin
pears
watermelon
peas
green beans
chickpeas
sushi nori
kombu kelp
wakame kelp
green beans
adzuki beans
fried tofu
parsley (shredded into their kibble)
carrots
peanuts, peanut butter
cherry tomatoes (toxic to cats, not dogs. Mine will browse these out of the garden)
avocado meat
cooked spinach (they will spit out raw)
spirulina tabs. the kind you feed to plecostomus are actually really good for them. Spirulina is a superfood that even humans should be eating more of.
shi itake mushrooms

Edited by author Wed Mar 2, '11 5:14pm PST

[notify]
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 5:28pm PST 
I never heard that cherry tomatoes were bad for cats. I live with a couple cats who LOVE tomatoes (and melons and cucumbers- yeah, they're weird) and have been eating tomato for years. Tomato LEAVES are poisonous to all mammals, including humans, never heard anything about the fruits.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 5:37pm PST 
the vet says that tomatoes cause gastrointestinal problems for cats, plus my friend's cat almost died after getting into canned tomatoes so I don't trust them with cats, for dogs though, wow, they put tomato pomace in many brands of higher quality dog food.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 6:33pm PST 
Saya loves cooked sweet potatoes, cooked carrots, cooked spinach, cooked peas. only veggies she likes.

Fruit she likes apples, pears, peaches, blue berries, mango, strawberries, and banana.

She only gets them as treats usually when I eat them myself.

Cooked would be better dogs can't digest veggies or fruit raw that well and cooking veggies pureeing usually helps with that.

What kind of diet is your dog on? Loosing weight I think some people do use veggies to help the dog feel more full and to feed a bit less, but I never had that issue so dunno.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Wed Mar 2, '11 7:39pm PST 
Milton loves baked sweet potato fries. I coat them in olive oil and pull out the ones for my dog before I season the ones I am going to eat. They have nutritional value for him and fiber. Plus I eat them too and they are cheap.

Milton likes raspberries. I pick them in the summer and he eats the. He has eaten them off the bush.

He also likes
steamed brussel srouts
steamed yellow squash
blue berries
bananas
canned pumpkin

I don't think it's bad to feed dogs fruit and veggies. I don't think it's unnatural for a scavenger to eat something other than meat.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3