GO!

Wolador

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lauryn

I Don't Know- What I Am!

Barked: Fri Dec 3, '10 3:41pm PST 
I found this new crossbreed known as a Wolador, half Wolf and half Labrador Retriever. What do you think?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/w/wolador.htm
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 12:01am PST 
There are NO "half-wolf, half-lab" dogs out there. Any dog being called that is from owner ignorance. a lot of people think any nordic-type dog is a wolf-hybrid, my Ginger got called one several times (usually got called a coyote mix, but heard wolf too.) And there may be cases of actual wolfdogs (NOT pure wolves) breeding with Labs, but again, not common. Most "wolfdogs" being advertised for sale are of questionable heritage, and often have little or no wolf blood.

Wild wolves don't breed with domestic dogs, let's put that one to rest. Pure wolves in captivity are unlikely to breed with dogs either. Even real wolfdogs being sold are almost always f2 or lower.

The dog offered as a "wolador" on that site likely has no wolf blood at all, much less be an F1 wolf-lab cross. They got snookered, like most "wolfdog" owners!

Here's a neat "how to spot a real wolf" article (from Wolf Park):
Wolf Hybrid Info
[notify]
Lauryn

I Don't Know- What I Am!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 6:40am PST 
That is what I thought. The dog looks like a Lab/Husky Mix to me. laugh out loud
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 6:45am PST 
It is cute. And maybe it is because I have had several Labs that the concept strikes me as even nuttier than other "hybrids." What on earth would make this seem like a good idea? Take a large and generally even tempered but rambunctious breed and mix them with a related species that would likely make that sheer knuckleheadedness of a Lab into a dangerous weapon...

Dog. Good thing you all read this as another kind of mix. I just wouldn't want to see a Timber Wolf/Lab Hybrid.
[notify]
Lauryn

I Don't Know- What I Am!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 5:14pm PST 
Yeah. I don't know why someone would think this would be a good idea. I think the dog is Lab/Husky. laugh out loud
[notify]
Lauryn

I Don't Know- What I Am!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 7:10pm PST 
I actually looked up this crossbreed after someone at PetSmart told me they had one!
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 7:14pm PST 
yah, I've got a friend who is sure their rescue mutt is part wolf, part Great Dane. shock She looks like German Shep, Mastiff mix to me... HUGE brindle dog with very short hair and half-pricked ears, golden eyes. They use it as an excuse for her bad behavior ("oh, she doesn't come when called because she's part wolf... wolf dogs are not very obedient" and "she ate the seats in my car because she's part wolf and has really strong jaws") oh well, at least they love her.
[notify]
Lauryn

I Don't Know- What I Am!

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 7:16pm PST 
Wolf and Great Dane!?! Wow. Now that is some mix! How did they come up with that one? laugh out loud
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sat Dec 4, '10 8:55pm PST 
Hmmm, the wolador looks Lab, Shepherd, Chow to me....
OR
I could believe Lab and Malamute...

Nothing in the dogs bio says Wolf to me...all that is Labrador behavior. If the dog were escaping, wrecking the house and digging up the yard, then I might believe there was something more 'wild' in her mix.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Dec 5, '10 9:02am PST 
I put my truck in this shop in my area for the second time. The shop dog is a wolf mix. You can see the wolf in this dog. It's subtle but there. He's a malamute/wolf. I don't know what the percent is, but the shop owners told me he was a malamute mix. I guessed the other part correctly. He's less than a year old and not tearing up vehicle interiors. The dog looks well cared for and is calm.

I let this dog interact and greet my dog. The temperament and level of socialization this dog has is better than most purely domestic dogs. The situation the dog lives in is socializing the dog. He's under constant supervision and is probably seldom alone.

I was talking to an acquaintance of mine who has an akita/husky mix. He is going to breed the dog to a wolf mix. To be honest, I want one. The stud has an excellent temperament and is sound. Not going to get one, too much food to feed. Would be an excellent back country dog. I would train the dog for skijoring. The stud is used as a tow rope in the back country for snowboarding.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3