GO!

tips for moving to new home?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jasper

If it's in your- hand, it's gotta- be MINE

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 1:38pm PST 
It's moving time. And I need all the help I can get. Looking to prepare my dog as much as possible. Besides when I brought him home from the breeder, this will be his first move.

And to add another dimension to it... I'm actually moving because my husband and I are separating... so I'm sure that I'll be emotional, and am afraid my pup will be affected by not having my husband around anymore. (I'll have sole custody of the dog.)

I'm looking for any tips you might have to help with the actual moving process, as well as any adjustment periods afterward.

My initial thought is to board him overnight at the PetSmart hotel (where he's been boarded before) during the actual move, so he's not in the way and so he doesn't see everything being moved out.

But is it best to take him back to the empty house and THEN to the new one with everything inside... or just to take him to the new place once everything is there, and not worry about going back to the old place?

Or should I let him sniff around the new place first, before everything is there, and then bring him home for real once everything is moved in?

I'm just trying to make it as easy as possible for him.
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 3:38pm PST 
When we moved our pets, it was out of state but we were still able to take them for a visit ahead of time. They got to check out the house and yard and also go walking in the neighborhood. When the actual move date was here, we boarded the dogs the day the movers came to pack and the next day when they came to load up. We brought their beds, water/food bowls and some toys with us so they had them as soon as we reached the house, did not have to unpack them. Keep in mind that your pups will feed off any anxiety or fear you have in moving. Keep it upbeat and happy, make it into a adventure and they will do fine.
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 7:28pm PST 
I'm sorry, I'm sorry for the whole situation. I'm glad you have your pup to keep you company. As far as moving goes, I work in rescue and when dogs are rehomed, they're usually fine. They don't need to go back to the old place, unless you do. Then you may want to bring him along for emotional support. Just having her stuff in thenew house should be fine. I'm sorry about your whole situation.

hughug
[notify]

Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 7:41pm PST 
I just moved cross-country with Teddy and I was very worried about the transition. I think the idea to put your dog into the PetHotel is a good one, as Teddy was a wreck when I was packing/emptying out apartment. I wish I would have boarded him. However, once we got on the road and then into our new place, he was fantastic. I think most dogs are really adaptable and are just glad to be with you, wherever that is. I did make sure to have a few of his favorite toys available at all times as well as his bedding that smelled like our old place.

Best of lucK!!!
[notify]
CGC Diego

I love my peeps!-

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 9:15pm PST 
Sorry to hear about the spot you are in. It must be stressful for all involved. cry Your dog's reaction will really depend on his individual personality and how sensitive he is to new situations in general. If you can take him to the new place at all ahead of time, definitely do that.

If you can make a visit or two ahead of time, make sure you give him positive experiences when you are there--ie. "look at this fun new place, how about..." eating your dinner/playing ball/belly rubs/anything he really likes.

Also, if you can, try really, really hard to keep his schedule consistent and coordinate with the boarding facility if you choose to do that. Feed him on the exact same schedule as it is now, walk him on the same schedule, try to go to bed and get up with him on the same schedule (which I know may be hard when you are moving).

Make sure he has his bed/crate, toys, access to his favorite chair/couch/bed (?) etc. Any way to make things seem more familiar will be helpful.

Dogs like consistency and security, so the more you can do for him in that department, the easier on him it will be. Good Luck.
[notify]
Jasper

If it's in your- hand, it's gotta- be MINE

Barked: Tue Aug 24, '10 2:46pm PST 
thanks, everyone. Your replies have made me feel better about the situation. I can get into the new place ahead of time, before the day of the actual move. I liked the suggestion of taking him there, and also for a walk around the new neighborhood. I hadn't thought of THAT.
[notify]
Wiley

Where's that- rabbit?

Barked: Tue Aug 24, '10 4:21pm PST 
Wiley did fine when I left my ex-hubby. We had adopted him together but he was my dog. The first couple of days were a bit rough...he kept looking for my ex, but soon he thought he was on a great adventure. Squ'mey & Wiley are having no problems with my latest move. Both are loving the busy city & cramped quarters. BOL! As someone said...be upbeat & be your dog's anchor & he'll be fine.
[notify]