GO!

Help! Luka refuses to go potty when it's raining!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Luka

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 10:27am PST 
So Luka refuses to go to the bathroom because it's raining. She has been holding it for close to 6 hours now because she won't go when I take her outside! I think she might be scared of rain because my neighbor dogsat her once and sprayed water on her to get her to stopped whining (I DO NOT do this).

Should I just take her outside and give her lots of treats? She looks at me like she's soooo upset when she's in the rain! But even before my neighbor dogsat her, she was always scared of lakes, oceans, baths, and anything being sprayed on her (dog bug repellent, etc.)

What do I do??!!
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 7:14pm PST 
My dogs HATE the rain. They do ok when I take an umbrella with me and hold it over them, though. Maybe you could try that?
[notify]
Samson

What a long- strange trip- it's been.

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 7:25pm PST 
My Samson absolutely will not go out to potty when it is raining...He will hold it a full day 1st...I finally gave up & just let him out when it stops raining.shrug
[notify]

Luka

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 8:03pm PST 
Yeah she had 2 accidents inside today because she refused to go out frown
Which is hard especially because she is a puppy and still learning potty training. I hope she's not like this when it snows.. we get a lot!
I'll try the umbrella thing, though, thanks!
[notify]
Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 8:46pm PST 
Torie is the same way. BTW, the snow is different. Most dogs love the snow!

--des
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 9:00pm PST 
Titus hates the rain, too, but I put a leash on him and encouraged him to go outside with treats. The down side to that is that I have to hang out in the rain with him, the upside is that though he still hates the rain, he doesn't resist going out so much now, and he gets his business done pronto. He's figured out that the quicker he goes potty, the quicker we can come in out of the rain.
[notify]
Susie

I love you! I- love everybody- else too!

Barked: Tue Aug 24, '10 3:31pm PST 
Susie hates the rain even when it is only misting.She refuses to budge and it takes a lot of coaxing to make her move . I am estonished since she had a miserable life before she was rescued and I would think that the rain would be the least of her problems. I will try the umbrella - thanks for the tip
[notify]