GO!

Anyone else bike with their dog?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Loki

My, what big- ears you have

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 9:46am PST 
I'm starting to get Loki used to the bike so we can hopefully start short rides when she's 18 months or so. Just curious if anyone else does this? What kind of training did you do to make it safe?
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 9:54am PST 
We use a Springer... leash is a good way to get hurt... either you or your pup. From there, you need to practice with dog and even consider commands (gee, haw, whoa, hup or [more mundane] right, left, stop, go). You also need to toughen pads and/or get booties. Roads are rough. Else? Have fun! Dog likes to run at about my easy cruising speed... really a riot wink
[notify]
Dingo

The only limit- is the end of- the trail

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 10:21am PST 
I bike with Dingo, I use a home made out rigger that's sort of like the Spinger. When I was in the beginning stages of training with Dingo I had him on a 6 ft leash and had him walk next to the bike and gradually brought him closer to it. He didn't mind so much and we were rolling that same day. Once he realised he could run full throttle he loved it. Wheels, chain, the peddles, none of it mattered. We've been biking for 3 years now and he's like a little husky when he sees me setting up. Like Czarka I incorporate cues into our runs, He knows walk, left, right, over(left or right), easy and lets go.
[notify]

Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 10:25am PST 
All the time! We both love it. blue dog I got Ava used to the bike when she was a little puppy. Now we ride at least once a week, with her regular leash wrapped around that post for the seat. I don't really see a need for one of those straight bars to keep the dog in place, in our case. Ava is 40lbs, my bike itself is about 50 I think. I'm 135, so she couldn't even pull us off balance if she wanted to.

There have been a couple times where she has seen a squirrel or rabbit, and tried to pull away, but she can't, and I get her right back on track. smile
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 11:03am PST 
I've started biking with Cohen recently and it's been a great way to tire her out in a hurry. I'll take her down along a trail and then drop by the dog park to finish off the runs. I make sure she's well hydrated and is given plenty of opportunity to stop and relax.

It's important to build up your dog's endurance as well as their paw pads. When you're starting out keep trips short and sweet.

I keep Cohen on my right when I bike since it keeps her most out of the way when we're going along the bike path. She responds to "side" pretty well now. I used to use a harness, but lately I've just been slapping the leash on her collar and draping it over my handlebars. Cohen's really great on rides so I don't feel compelled to invest much cash on a bike attachment.

I take the leash off as soon as we're in a safe area and Cohen can choose to run right along side or trot more slowly behind when she gets tired.
[notify]
Loki

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 11:12am PST 
I actually just got a Springer two days ago. I hooked her to it and used treats to keep her alongside me. She doesn't like metal-sounding things, and even though she's been walked beside bikes before (enlisted a friend for that), she's a little hesitant. Guess we'll just have to take it slow.

So...how far do your dogs bike now? I saw a guy on flickr who bikes his husky and dalmatian 20 miles at a stretch. I think he goes pretty fast too, judging by action shots and such. Do you think Loki would be able to work up to that (over the course of a year or so...?) I love biking and it'd be nice to take her for long rides.

Good to know about the paws. I'm trying to keep to grass and dirt. Thankfully there's TONS of trails and forests around here, so no need ot bike on the road or sidewalks. I read about something called PawGuard, like a wax stick you smear on to protect their paws from cement and heat in summer and from ice in the winter. Good investment? Or should I just let her paws adapt?
[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 11:30am PST 
Since there are very few trails around here that would be good for biking on, we just go once around the neighborhood at a steady trot the whole way. Maybe a little further if it's cool enough or if Ava seems up to it. We only run on grass though. It's hard on her paws running on pavement, but after each ride I check each paw to make sure there are no cuts or scrapes. smile

Once she had a raw spot on one paw, but I don't think that was from the bike ride--actually I think it was from playing fetch on the pavement one time, since she would run full-speed after the ball then come to a skidding stop to catch it. Ouch! >_<

We held off on bike rides until that healed.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 11:38am PST 
Right now I really only go 1-2 miles each trip with Cohen. But she's just barely out of puppyhood so I'm taking it really easy with her for now.

20 miles is a lot, but Huskies and Dals were both bred for endurance. I doubt that's possible for all dogs, but it's within some breeds' capabilities.
[notify]
Loki

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 12:54pm PST 
hmm, that's true. my neighbours bikes with his husky, and apparently in his prime he'd go full-tilt for like 20-45 minutes on the roads nearby.

Ava - haha that sounds soooo much like Loki. she's never scraped a paw, but she LOVES fetch on hard surfaces. right now her favorite is when we go to the baseball diamond (sand surface) and kick the ball around. she chases, fetches, herds, etc. I think that running and skidding on that has probably toughened her paws to some extent, but we'll take it easy for now.

and yeah, we're lucky here. tons of trails and forests mixed into the houses here, plus with a 30 minute drive there're like seven conservation areas nearby.
[notify]
Moro

fast fast!

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 1:37pm PST 
Moro lives for the bicycle!

Since she is a timid dog (or was at the time)we start by clicking and treating her for being near the bicycle and walking beside it, voluntarily, in our yard (no leash). We then moved to Moro on her bungee line attached to the bike, me walking the bike with lots of clicking and treating. We quickly came up with a basic vocabulary for left, right, slow, stop, and fast. Once I started riding the bike there was no need for treating anymore as the chance to run was far and away the best reward- but those first stages helped us establish what the ques meant and not to fear the sounds of the bike.

I don't use any shock absorbing devices, like a springer, anymore although when we first started I used a homemade one. If you have a dog that's liable to pull towards a distraction they are a great idea. Right now I use a short bungee line anchored to the bike. Since Moro runs on the left of the bike we use a padded carting harness that can take a line clipped on the side.

If I let Moro run full tilt without the ad of me peddling much, and using my heavy framed cruiser bike, she's toast in about 15 minutes. However if we pass ourselves, and it's not too hot, she can go on full day trips with me on the bike.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3