GO!

Berkely and Jensen dog food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

SuzyQ

SuzyQ -

Barked: Tue Jun 15, '10 12:38am PST 
Hello, I am a relatively new dog owner and did a lot of research here on dogster about my dog’s food. I recently found a new food that was a great value for us and asked about it within another topic here on dogster. Being a bit of a novice with dog food I wanted to get some feedback from some other people, and I was happy to hear them say this was a good looking food at a good price, so I figured I would start a thread to let people know about it.

It’s carried by BJ’s which is a club store on the east coast and it’s their label brand Berkely & Jensen. They labeled it as a holistic dog food, with “absolutely no by-products, artificial preservatives, artificial flavors, artificial colors or dyes, corn, wheat or soy fillers and gluten free.”

The ingredients seem to be comparable with what we saw for other premium brands. A big reason my husband and I are happy is that it’s only $19.99 for 16 lbs. and our dog flippin loves it. It's an all Natural Chicken and Brown Rice recipe.

I researched it on google and all that I could find was a bunch of recalls on their food from a few years ago so I called their customer service number right away. They told me that they stopped making a dog food under their brand for several years after the recall. They said this new food was totally different and made by a newer manufacturer here in the U.S.

Here’s the list of ingredients in the new Berkely & Jensen dog food since it’s not online, and I already had typed it up for the conversation I put it in.

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Rice, Oats, Rice Bran, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Herring Meal, Natural Flavors, Dried Egg Product, Dried Blueberries, Dried Spinach, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Fish Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Rosemary Extract
[notify]
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Tue Jun 15, '10 5:51am PST 
Based solely on ingredients, it looks okay, albeit rice heavy. See how rice is the third, fourth, and sixth ingredient? That would lead me to believe there is more rice in the food than meat. However, that in itself doesn't make it bad, similar could be said for Blue Buffalo. My only question would come from the quality of the meat. If it's 20 dollars for a 16 lb bag, that's some pretty cheap chicken which would make me wonder if it were birds found to be unusable for the human market (no one raises chickens with the hopes of them being subpar just for the dog food market).

Don't take me wrong, I'd rather you feed that than Beneful or Ole Roy or even Science's Corny Diet (which is Purina One with a inflated price as far as I'm concerned).
[notify]
SuzyQ

SuzyQ -

Barked: Tue Jun 15, '10 10:36am PST 
Hi Jenna, your question about the quality of the meat is a really good one, which has inspired me to call the company again to ask!!! shock I know they had said before that they were now really concerned about quality since they had such a fiasco with the old food, so it will be interesting to see what I find out! I'm going to try them again. I am grateful you brought it up!!!
[notify]

SuzyQ

SuzyQ -

Barked: Thu Jun 17, '10 8:40am PST 
I called and they said they needed to check into that. I gave them my e-mail address and here is the response I got back.

Susie Q,
Thank you for your inquiry into the Berkley and Jensen’s Holistic Dog Food. We use human grade, hormone free chicken in our recipe that comes from a supplier of chicken for human consumption. We actually go the extra step of performing peroxide value testing on all of our meats to ensure that our meats have not begun to turn rancid even if they look and smell fine. Our standard for our chicken and chicken meal is 10 meq/kg fat, the same as human products. We hope this answers your questions.

Sincerely,
BJ’s Customer Service
[notify]
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Thu Jun 17, '10 9:13am PST 
That is interesting information. Basically it means to me they insure that they use fresh chickens. The peroxide value testing method is actually testing the chicken fat. From reading http://www.vitablend.nl/peroxide_value.aspx it makes me wonder at what point they test cause according to that site, heat can change the value. Chickens for human consumption are by law required to be hormone free, so I imagine finding a hormoned up chicken is pretty hard as I don’t think anyone strives to produce chicken just for pet food. There’s no money in it and why spend money on artificial hormone for something that will be sold for a lesser price? I guess what I’d want to know is whether the chicken falls into 4D category (arrived dead, diseased, dying, or disabled at the processing plant). Human grade implies that it is the same we would eat, perhaps it is the organs (which is fine as it doesn’t include the entrails), necks (but not heads), wings and legs as the market for chicken is mostly breasts and leg quarters. I do at least, feel a little bit better that this may be a pretty decent food for those who may be living on a tight budget. I am very happy with their prompt reply.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 6:08am PST 
Hey how are you doign suzyq, i get me dog food from costco. The kirkland dog food is four star rating just like BJ'S brand. I checked out both what was in both brands of dog food, and I chose to go with kirkland. For a puppy bag that is 20lbs will cost you 14.99 and a 40 pound bag will cost you 25.00. I compared it to all the dog foods in the big time pet stores and it's just as good or better. The only dry doog food that was a five star,is evo dog food and that will cost you 60.00 for a 30 pound bag. Blue, natural balance, all cost 55-60 dollars and they are all four star ratings online. And the way I found out about kirkland was through a dog breeder. I saw him in a dog park and i told him how nice his dogs coat looked, then he told me what he feeds them. And unlike the bj's brand there isn't a whole buch of rice in it. The reason it's so cheap is because it's only sold in costco and no other store which allows them to do that. Never mind the price just read what's in it. After reading this you shoud never have to step foot into another pet store to by doog food.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 7:12pm PST 
You can also ask them whether the meat meal is denatured or not (doused with caustic chemicals like fuel oil and detergent to prevent getting back into human food chain). You can also ask whether the plant where its produced is APHIS/EU certified. Meaning its been inspected by USDA and cannot contain byproducts or anything unfit for human consumption, it also cannot contain GMO ingredients for it to be exported out of the country since Europe has stricter pet food regulations.

I'm not sure exactly how it works because a lot of european countries sell low end foods like pedigree and purina, so I'm not sure how they get past thing, which is something I need to inquire about.
[notify]
Uno

I'm huntin'- wabbits

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 8:10pm PST 
ok, it looks like it just applies to food exported from U.S to Europe, since those brands have their own manufacturing plans outside of U.S, they dont adhere to the APHIS/EU regulations and can contain 4-d ingredients.
So you can still call and ask, even if the plant is APHIS certified, and not EU, its still a good sign.
[notify]