GO!

Frustrated

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Boomer

Barked: Mon May 24, '10 6:06pm PST 
We have an almost year old boxer and we are about at the end of our rope. He has the whole backyard and our kitchen to play in. He has destroyed many things (our kids splash pool today) and I am getting very frustrated. When we leave it isn't a matter of if he has destroyed but what. We cant have him play in the yard with our kids (7, 4 and 4) because he nips at them and knocks them down. I dont know what to do...We are about ready to find him a new home. Any suggestions.

Edited by author Mon May 24, '10 6:07pm PST

[notify]
Vander

Love and love- more

Barked: Mon May 24, '10 10:34pm PST 
Boxers are an EXTREMELY high energy breed, and they also are super people oriented. The #1 thing you can do first off is obedience training. This would alleviate the knocking kids over and being too rambunctious. Also know, that boxers, when left to their own devices, will do exactly what you are saying (destruction) out of boredom (and also out of separation anxiety) . A 1 year old boxer is the mental equivalent of a 15 year old boy, not quite mature enough to make good sound decisions on their own, but think they "already know everything" They should NOT have run of the yard or house unsupervised until they have EARNED that privilege by proving to be responsible. Crate him when you leave. This will cut down on the destructive behavior and keep it from continuing and becoming a habit. If your dog is not neutered... get him neutered! Extra testosterone levels make it harder for them to focus also. It can help take the "edge" off. Last but not least, take him for a walk or jog to burn off extra steam, so he's not so pent up when you do leave him. Good luck.
[notify]
Colton

Barked: Tue May 25, '10 11:38am PST 
OH NO!!! Im sorry to here that he is destroying your things!! I enrolled my boxer in obedience classes before he even came home! I want to make sure that I can control him and he respects me (something i failed at with my little dog). I would suggest getting a crate for him while you are not there to watch him and to watch him like he is a baby when you are with him. If you see him doing something he shouldnt get his attention quickly and give him something else to do (ex. he is getting ready to or chewing on a remote, make a noise like pennies in a bottle to get his attention, then give him one of his toys and take the remote away) When he jumps on your kids he should get taken away for a "time out". boxers are very smart and if you stick to it he will learn in no time smile good luck!
[notify]

Sisko

Sisko the Clown

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 8:37am PST 
Indeed, everyone who has responded I agree with. Boxers get bored easily and need stimulation or these things will happen. Exercise, attention, and obedience are really a must not only for Boxers, but any dog.

A fulfilled and trained dog is a happy dog.
[notify]
Maximillion

There is a- fridge open ...I- know it!

Barked: Fri Jul 2, '10 1:22pm PST 
I agree with all who have posted. Max is our second Boxer, so we learned a lot the first time around. Before we got our first boxer, I read some breed specific books, and also puppy/training books. There is also a lot out there on the internet that can help with training.

Our first boxer was very well behaved, and at about one year, we thought he was ready to stay out of the crate when we left. The first day, he just sat by the door the entire time we were gone, so we thought it was a success. We were VERY wrong. The second day, he destroyed the house. My neighbors also have a boxer, and they waited until she was at least 3 to give her free run of the house. She still destroys things occasionally, but she does much better now.

The best thing you could do to start, is get a crate smile good luck!!
[notify]
Curtis

Barked: Thu Nov 4, '10 11:43am PST 
I agree with all that have posted! Curtis is almost 4. We were lucky, in that we gave him free roam from about the age of 1 and he has NEVER destroyed anything. We just make sure he has plenty of toys around to play with and also that he has LOTS of excercise. Good luck, they really are the best dogs!!!
[notify]