GO!

How do you feel when people say your dog looks like a wolf?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Sassy

Red Monster with- blue horns- Killer!

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 2:30pm PST 
I don't know about you but it makes me very angry. It's almost like an accusation. If you take a look at Sassy's pic you can tell she's a very unique peibald Husky/Seppala. She has the Bi-eyes with the blue and brown marbling. I don't know how people can think she looks like a wolf!

Anyhow I'm wondering if I'm being too sensitive. The conersations usually go something like this.

"Oh she's really pretty, what type of dog is she?"

"She's a Husky"

"She looks like a wolf." said with a concerned look on their face/or said a little sarcastically

"no, wolves look much different from her, they hold their head much differently."

"I dunno, it's those eyes. The blue! I think she's a wolf."

"Why? Huskies have blue eyes?"

"I dunno, just wild looking eyes."

........I walk away because I'm getting ready to tell the to shut the you know what up!

After that the people seem to avoid my dog like she were a Pit Bull or something. LOL

Am I taking it too personally? What do you do?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 4:51pm PST 
BOL, my person laughs, rolls her eyes and comments that the person must have never seen a wolf.
[notify]
Ilya

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 7:27pm PST 
Once, Ilya was prancing at a busy park and we were about to pass a 6 yr old girl sitting on her bike . As we passed her, she jumps off her bike and runs to her mom screaming, "WOLF!" I was a bit shocked and Ilya didn't pay attention. He continued prancing along the path.
[notify]

Sassy

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 8:10pm PST 
Now I can understand why a 6 year old might think a Husky is a wolf. But adults! C'mon!!!

I've read that Huskies and malamutes are often used on movies to play wolves. That's really unfortunate for the breed!

I need to think up a clever response.
[notify]
Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Mon Apr 26, '10 8:12pm PST 
Oh, goodness, I could write a book on this topic!

I get "Are they wolves?" all the time when I am out with Luka and Kiona. Luka in particular seems to gets the wolfy label.

It doesn't bother me, I don't expect the average person, unfamiliar with Siberians, to know how very unlike wolves Siberians appear. Instead, I take the opportunity to explain they are purebred Siberians - very much doggies! I usually add in that true wolf hybrids are incredibly rare and that most people who think they have a hybrid have a husky mix. Nicely, of course.

What DOES bother me is when someone with a husky or malamute mix (or often, what appear to be purebred Siberians) - approach me to ask if my dogs are "wolves". I can see them coming from a mile away - I know that no matter what I answer, they will immediately follow up with, "'CUZ MY LOBO HERE IS A WOLF HYBRID. TIMBER ARCTIC WOLF HYBRID, TO BE EXACT." This is the "big bad wolf" syndrome people who share my frustration speak about - it is the people who just feel like they have to have a wolf to be cool or to set themselves apart from others. The ones who have to let everyone know their dog is a wolf hybrid, even when there is virtually no wolfy characteristics about the dog that is playing happily at the dog park!

Siiiiiigh. So, I take great pains to avoid these types, or, if I happen to get caught in the "Look at my hybrid" conversation, I usually just nod and say "Very cute dog" and walk away, ending the conversation. I am always a big bad wolf syndrome kill-joy.

So, I am not bothered by people saying my dogs look like wolves. I take great umbrage to others claiming their husky mix is a wolf hybrid, however. For a million reasons which I will spare everyone - just trust me, they are good reasons, bol! laugh out loud
Sassy

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 1:46am PST 
Really? I had no idea that wolf hybrids are that rare. I live in Seattle, WA and remember a couple of wolfy looking dogs down the street from where I grew up. My neighbor went out and got a Husky mix as soon as he met Sassy and I'm pretty convinced he is in fact part wolf. There's a couple of pics of him playing with Sassy. I guess being in the NW, wolves don't seem too far from home.
[notify]
Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 8:31am PST 
I live in Oregon, so pacific NW, too.

Here is my general outlook on the wolf hybrid thing: as husky owners, we all know that our dogs get mistaken for wolves all.the.time.

The appearance of most northern breed (somewhat wolfy) and the big bad wolf syndrome, and you have people with husky mixes claiming they have a hybrid because they think it is cool The guy that owned Kiona's brother started telling people his dog was a hybrid! (I only saw him a few times at the dog park but by 8 months the dog was a hybrid, apparently, bol!)

So you combine the general lack of knowledge of the public on what a true hybrid looks like/acts like plus the HUGE number of nothern breed mixes plus need to feel cool and own a wolf hybrid you get a whoooole lotta people thinking they have hybrids when they have no idea if the dog actually has any wolf in them or not.

These are usually the folks who claim % amounts and such, because genetically, there is no way to tell how much wolf vs. dog DNA a true hybrid has. Also, the people with TRUE hybrid never, ever, support the purposeful breeding of them.

ETA: As for wolf populations - there are virtually no large wolf populations in most of the United States, including the pacific NW. Washington is actually trying to implement a conservation plan to re-introduce wolves to the state. Oregon has seen a very slow increase in wolf presence, but those are almost entirely in Eastern Oregon, which is hundreds of miles away from major cities in Oregon.

Edited by author Tue Apr 27, '10 8:47am PST

Sassy

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 10:25am PST 
I guess the upside is that our dogs intimidate prospective burglars. We got Sassy because we were getting ripped off once ever couple months. A tool here and there in our backyard would get stolen. My son's $250 power wheel was even stolen right from our back patio and we would find foot prints of people coming down to our yard from the alley. That was it! My dachshunds were cutting it with the yard duty, so we adopted Sassy.

I had never had a Husky before bu! grew up with GSD's and figured... they were similar because they were both working breed. Man was I wrong! Anyhow, come to find out Sassy loves everyone BUT she does have a viscous bark and she looks like a WOLF! BOL That has kept people away pretty good. We haven't had anything missing since! From the yard or the house at least. I can't say the same for the Garage.
[notify]
Sable Marie

-insert witty- phrase here-

Barked: Tue Apr 27, '10 10:47am PST 
I think I am faaaar too desensitized to the way huskies and malamutes and such look. I know those dogs are marked for their wolf-like appearance but honestly I can't see how you can look at a dog and think it's a wolf.

It happens a lot. I'll be walking Sable and someone goes 'Oh how cute, she looks like a wolf!' Honestly I can't even really see it, just me? Sure a little bit but the head is held wrong, and wolves *look* wild and like that are able to tear you apart. Sable is just a cute and slightly clumsy puppy who wants everyone to pay attention to her.
[notify]
Eyasha

Little baby- yashi-pie

Barked: Thu Apr 29, '10 1:07pm PST 
big laugh Siberian huskies are the friendliest, gentle, easy-going, not a care in the world breed I know of. When people akwardly shuffle away from her and give cautious glares, I can't help but laugh. I've had several people ask me if she's a wolf. All you can really do is pity them for their ignorance, their loss right?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4