This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Member Since
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 7:11am PST 
Hello everyone, I am new to the board and posting to warn pet owners of the danger of antifreeze poisoning in their animals. Both of our german short haired pointers were poisoned last week with antifreeze. Our baby, Riley, died. Tucker, our three year old is hanging on in emergency clinic. THE ANTIFREEZE WAS IN THE BASE OF OUR PORTABLE BASKETBALL HOOP IN OUR DRIVEWAY. The previous owners of the the hoop had followed assembly directions and placed the antifreeze in the base to prevent the water in the base from freezing. Small holes manufactured into the top of the base allowed tiny drops of antifreeze to leak out. Because of the sweet taste of some antifreeze products, both of our pups drank it. PLEASE PLEASE CHECK YOUR PORTABLE BASKETBALL HOOPS OR ANYTHING THAT MIGHT CONTAIN ANTIFREEZE TO PREVENT FREEZING. We don't want anyone else to go through what our family has gone through. FORRILEY
Savannah Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 7:14am PST 
wow. so sorry.

st. francis of- asses
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 7:14am PST 
I am so sorry...hug


Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 10:13am PST 
hughughugWe are so sorry for your loss. It is amazing the things careless merchants use toxin substances in. eek Pets and small children would be at risk for getting into antifreeze in a basketball hoop. Why or Why don't people use nontoxic alternatives????

Used to be one could get a less toxic antifreeze, last time we looked it wasn't available in our local auto parts store. naughty

hughughug sorry, I hope you boy gets well.

OG- Original- Goberian
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 10:23am PST 
I'm so sorry, this is a horrible thing to have happen. My family lost our pomeranian to antifreeze poisoning when I was in high school. thank you for wanting to warn others!!

we'll keep Tucker in our thoughts!!

In Loving- Memory of- BOOMER

The Cat Did- It...
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 10:41am PST 
How about filling it with sand? That's what we do here in FL, lord knows there's a ton of it. Sorry to hear about your pups.hug

Member Since
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 10:51am PST 
I am so sorry for your loss. I had no idea that antifreeze might be in one of those, and there's a used one in my backyard now and I have a ten month old puppy!

Thank you so so much for this warning...you really may have saved someone else from the same suffering.

Again, so sorry...praying that your other pooch recovers quickly!
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 11:20am PST 
I'm sorry this has happened to your family, Our heart is with you guys =[

I hope your other little one makes it through okay, and healthy.

I wouldn't imagine to find antifreeze in a basketball hoop holder - but I guess it can make sense - though you would think they would tell you before you bought it! Maybe you could get ahold of the owners and tell them what happened... (they could have an animal or a family member)
Budrow RIP buddy

I am handsome - deal with it
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 12:33pm PST 
I was going to suggest what Boomer did, about the sand. We used sand in the portable basketball hoops at school, as it was much safer than the water/antifreeze mix.

sorry for your losshug hope the other one makes ithug

Cool hand Luke
Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 1:21pm PST 
We're so sorry for your loss...it brings to mind this verse from Erney Townshend:

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle..."
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2