GO!

Very sick dog.. no vet!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Juno

Village Mutt

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 12:47pm PST 
I live in rural AK and the vet only comes into the closest town for the first week of every month.. so my only vet option is to snowmachine her an hour down to Bethel, then put her on a plane to ANC for thousands of dollars, where a vet could meet her at the airport. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't survive this ordeal, and it would costs $1000's just to get her there. I wanted to start off with that so you wouldn't accuse me of being a terrible owner.

Here's the deal on my pup:

She's 7 months old. She is not vaccinated yet (would have been this coming month)

The day before yesterday she was sluggish and ate very slow. Yesterday morning, the same, but she wouldn't eat.

Then I got home yesterday afternoon, and went to let her out of her crate. The whole house smelled. She wouldn't even lift her head when I came in. Her and her kennel (even walls and ceiling of it) were covered in bloody, mucousy diarrhea and vomit, as well as lots of foamy vomit. Some was thick and some was very loose, and there were bits of a ziploc bag in it.

I cleaned it all up, and coaxed her outside where she did pee. Then I brought her back in and tried to give her some water. She wouldn't take it. She just looked at me like she was very nauseous and tired. I let her rest, and every few hours she'd throw up, disgusting loose, definitely projectile vomit that was dark brownish-red. I'd clean it up and let her go back to resting.

This morning more of the same, but she did drink 2 cups of water, so I guess that's good.

Is there anything else I can do for her but keep her warm and comfortable?
Maybe some pepto or tums? How much for a little 30 pound dog?

I'm thinking she has a blockage of plastic or something in her stomach or intestines. Is that what that sounds like to you?
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 12:50pm PST 
Wow, Juno, this is terribly scary. Do you have any idea what was in the plastic bag, or when she might have eaten the bag and any contents?

Honestly, what I would personally do is to call an E-vet in the closest city to you, tell them what you told us, and ask them for help. They may bill you something, and likely will, but although there may be a limited amount they can do for her or tell you to do for her, any help you get from them will have to be better than what we can tell you.

I'm sorry you're going through this, and I hope that Juno is ok.
[notify]
Mazzy

S-S-S-SQUIRREEEL- LLL!!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 1:00pm PST 
Well, I know it's an hour away, but there's two vets listed in Bethel, AK on Yahoo's yellowpages. Could you take the dog to one of them?? If there is an abstruction in her intestines she needs a vet. Nothing you can really do to make her better. There is also a chance it's something else, like Parvo. Dogs don't normally get that sick unless there's something really wrong.
[notify]

Coco

Give me some- luving....lol

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 1:01pm PST 
Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your puppy. I did find this list that may help you. Maybe you can call one of them and they can tell you what to do. Poor baby needs Vet attention quick. Here is the list:

http://www.talktothevet.com/VETERINARIANS/LOCAL/US/alaska.H TM

http://alaska.1800veterinarian.com/

Hugs from Coco and Family
hughughughug
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 1:06pm PST 
jeez. no idea...I just did a search and tried to find some kind of assistance for you. I would try Tucker's suggestion and just get some e-vet on the phone.
[notify]
Roxy

I am a Snow Dog!

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 1:57pm PST 
http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogdiarrheapeptobismol.html

here is a link to pepto dosage for dogs...i've used it for diarrhea in dogs before but never for vomiting.
Hope your pup gets better soonhug
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 2:39pm PST 
Hope you get some help for your pup. I worry as it does sound a bit like parvo! The imporant thing is to keep her hydrated, plenty of fluid, then as she is still a pup dont let her go too long without food, fast for 12-24 hours ifyou can then try some plain boiled chicken and rice that is well cooked , just a few small hand fed peices at first will be fine , see if she can hold it down. Have you got an emergency vet you can teephone? This must be so scary!!!dog
Ps . it would help too if you knew what was in that bag.

Edited by author Wed Mar 24, '10 2:40pm PST

[notify]
Bianca

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 3:17pm PST 
Poor baby! If you can take her to one of those vets an hour away, I think that's your best bet. If not, there are some vets on medhelp.org that might be able to venture a guess. Try asking them here: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Animal-Health---General/show/112. Good luck! I hope she feels better and let us know how she's doing.
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 4:09pm PST 
Of course the danger with taking advice from myself and other armchair experts is that you may get bad advice, but I understand reaching out for whatever you can.

On the one hand, if she has parvo or another contaigion, pepto may be a good way to go. On the other hand, if she has an obstruction, it could make it worse or kill her. cry
[notify]
♥Moll- y♥

Loyal- Sweetheart!

Barked: Wed Mar 24, '10 5:46pm PST 
i'm soooooo sorry to hear this! when i was reading it i was almost crying!

name of vet:: Sept Bob DVM

city the vet is in:: Bethel, AK 99559

phone number:: (907) 543-2823

please do what you can for this poor thing! and give us an update ASAP!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6