GO!

what should I do next?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dusty

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 5:17am PST 
Hello, I tried raw chicken on my GSD pup for 2 weeks...and had runny stool. I have checked if my chicken was enhanced but it was not. so I think my dog is sensitive to chicken.
so I have started ground beef &Rice since yesterday and his stool was firm!!happy dance
but I have not seen his stoop since then. I want to try ground beef for 2~3 more days and see his stool again to make sure he is good with beef.
my question are;

1) what kind of beef bone I can try for my 5mon. GSD puppy?

2) I have turkey neck, but should I try ground turkey first and turkey neck? or what?

Could you help me,Pleasesmile
[notify]
Dieta

AKA Baby Face

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 6:21am PST 
I wouldn't use turkey necks. too many small bones.
I would use bone in chicken breasts for 2 weeks.
The beef and rice might of stopped it for now but once the rice lets loose the dirrehea is going to come back most likely
I would not feed rice if I were you.
Just the one protein for two weeks then see how it goes from there.

gsd have sensitive tummies so be prepared to be patient if feeding raw. Go slowly.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 8:55am PST 
Ok - a question for you: Was the chicken bone-in or boneless? If boneless, that is likely your problem.

The rice is acting as a firming agent, which will correct the loose stool, but will not further you down the road to a raw diet. So now that the stool is firm, I'd go back to trying bone-in chicken.

As for beef bones, my Malamute mix could eat beef ribs just fine. Serve them in a rack, though, not singly, and be prepared to take them away if the dog is trying to power through them.

Turkey necks, actually, are mostly cartilage, and I believe that most of the turkey necks I've seen, being quite large, would work just fine for a pup your size. My sister's dog, a 45 pound Golden Retriever mix, eats turkey necks for his teeth, and my 70+ Malamute mix also ate turkey necks with no incidents.
[notify]

Zack

I would rather- go through than- around!!

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 9:01am PST 
Mmmmm I love turkey necks! Duck too! Maybe dad will feed me my fav. rack of lamb tonight!

...fat chance little guy dad is on a budget so once you start workin in the summer maybe lamb will be on the menu... for now its chicken carcuss smile

Zack: Oh well I like those too! BOL
[notify]
Dusty

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 9:12am PST 
Thanks for your advice.

Chicken was chicken quater. He had runny stool so we tried put pumpkin etc.....but it didnt get any better. and we thought about chicken was enhanced which didn't. so we try beef with rice to make stool firm.
Now Im only feeding ground beef and see if he can take it. but i know he needs meaty bone( he is growing puppy) so soon he get better with beef i'd like to introuduce him bones . I want to avoid chicken for now.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 9:53am PST 
You're right, you need to feed bones. Most beef bones are inedible. I'd try those turkey necks.
Moose

My master is- good and smart- (up movie)

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 9:54am PST 
Turkey necks, wings, let him work on a leg and take it away when he's had enough... you can try that as an alternate bone source. It might be that you have a longer transition than most. You could also try adding a probiotic, not yogurt... ditch the rice!

ground beef and turkey neck is good... actual slab of beef and turkey neck is better.
[notify]
Dusty

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 10:26am PST 
Mississippi &Moose, Thank you for your advicesmile

so I can give 5month old GSD Puppy turkey neck.
I never give my pup turkey before,so should I try ground turkey first and see if he can have it? o
[notify]
Moose

My master is- good and smart- (up movie)

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 10:45am PST 
It shouldn't matter, turkey neck vs ground turkey. I would give whatever is convenient to the ratio of the food you are planning to feed.
[notify]
Dusty

Barked: Sat Mar 13, '10 4:41pm PST 
 Hello Everybody!  I just fed my pup with turkey wing tonight.cheer
 Well It tooks about one hour to eat almost everything. It was pretty
 hard for him to eatthinking May be beacuse he is teething now???
His stool was good today. I dont know how his stool will be after eat
turkey. Wish me lack!!cheer
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2