GO!

Enhanced chicken or meat

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dieselઽ- 4;蔵

Barked: Wed Mar 10, '10 3:21am PST 
Hello, I'm wondering where can i get un-enhanced chicken or meat here in us??
and How can I tell if its enhanced or not?

I bought my chicken leg quater from wholesale meat store,but I'm not sure if my chicken is enhanced or not.

It will be nice if somebody will teach me how to look. Thank you.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Mar 10, '10 4:50am PST 
I believe it's found by looking at the sodium content, and for the label of %solution. I've been told the serving should be under 80mg sodium, but I'm not sure if that's the serving on the back or the serving given to the dog. I know for a fact that Perdue has a label on their packaging promising no use of steroids or hormones in their chicken, but you have to wait a while for them to go on sale.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Mar 10, '10 8:40am PST 
It is the sodium per serving as printed in the nutrition box. Do you get that on your meat? I mostly see it here in California but even in other states it isn't always on the package.

Max *needs* all of 160 mg sodium a day [more is fine] and last time I got enhanced chicken and even a bit of beef for stir fry for Sassy [I soaked, cooked and drained it twice!] it was up to 330 mg sodium per serving. I guess he would get 2.5 servings or so of that raw, 900 mg or so if I gave it to him. Ouch.

It is a problem for some dogs and not a problem for others. My boiling it seems to work for Sassy but I am sure there is still more sodium than she needs in it. Max has had the boiled stuff as treats but not raw. Hoping to never have to do that.
[notify]

Lily and- Moira

Happy Birthday- to us!!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 9:08am PST 
The enhanced package will say something like '12% solution added'. If it says water added, you're okay. My Spartan thighs say 'no artificial ingredients, minimally processed, no hormones added' on a banner across the package with '100% natural fresh chicken thighs, less than 6% retained water' in the bottom corner.
[notify]
Dieta

AKA Baby Face

Barked: Thu Mar 11, '10 12:05pm PST 
I hear some people soak the meat in water to get some of the salt out. Don't know if it works but worth a shot.
Try meat markets that have organic but if it is in a package look at the sodium content
[notify]
Dieselઽ- 4;蔵

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 3:56am PST 
Thank you for your help!big grin
[notify]
Lex

aka Bobotron- 3000

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 6:52am PST 
Definitely look at the nutrition label, not just the ingredients. I bought a bag of chicken thigh quarters for Lex and the bag said all this stuff about being natural and did not list anything suspect in the ingredients. After feeding Lex it made her super sick and I finally looked on the label - the sodium was over 300 for 4 oz. but I never would have known just by looking at the bag or reading the ingredients. Apparently they don't have to list everything under ingredients shrug
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Mar 14, '10 11:50am PST 
I went to the store today to check on prices things price wise are pretty good, but I just get so frustrated that pretty much all of the chicken is enhanced. shrug

I think I found two different chickens that are decent looking just retained water something like that and organic chicken from my butcher.

Most packages I find is 12% or 15% enhanced.. :
[notify]
Henry Miller

He's a tramp,- but they love- him!

Barked: Sun Mar 14, '10 12:07pm PST 
So would this be ok to feed?
label
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 14, '10 3:03pm PST 
I would go ahead and feed it but I think it is enhanced. To tell for certain find that cut on the USDA site or Nutritiondata and compare the sodium level, could be just fine. Most meats seem to be less than 20 mg per ounce so should be less than 80 mg per 4 ounce serving. Max is getting 160 mg Na per serving pork this month but I won't give him the 300+ stuff I boil/drain/boil/drain for Sassy.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2