GO!

Dog speedometer

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Olive

Barked: Tue Feb 23, '10 9:09am PST 
Hi! I am new to Dogster! I am writing because my sister and I are looking into getting into the dog collar gps business. We have whippets and have been looking for a way to track their speed while having fun at the park. The speedometer we are thinking of developing would use gps technology to record your dogs top and average speed. This is meant to be used for fun, and to help owners keep track of their dogs fitness level. Your dog runs at his own will, and the device is small and light weight. I think it would be great fun for anyone with a dog who loves running. GPS technology is not cheap however, and we are concerned that not enough people would be interested in just tracking speed. Wondering if anyone interested would be willing to give us some feedback, would you consider buying a unit like this? How much would you expect to pay? Thanks for your time!
[notify]
Lola

Poodle, not- doodle!

Barked: Wed Feb 24, '10 4:55am PST 
I know that, at least in the agility circles I run in, Yards per second is a big deal. So if it could calculate that, it would be awesomebig grin
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Wed Feb 24, '10 5:52am PST 
big laugh It's funny you mention this. Just the other day, I wanted to see how much exercise it took to tire out my Border Collie (or at least how far he runs in the hour and a half walk we take laugh out loud)
So I tied an old GPS system to his collar. Needless to say, it really didn't work out all that well. The GPS was hanging low on his neck and swung back and fourth - which stopped him from running as he usually does.
So I was thinking about how great it would be to have a device sort of like this.

One concern I have though, I'm not sure if GPS technology has improved since the model I have, but it frequently cuts out in the woods giving us an inaccurate reading. I was wondering if there's a way to get around that?

And I'd expect to pay probably between $70-$100
[notify]

Olive

Barked: Wed Feb 24, '10 9:27am PST 
Thanks for the responses! The gps we have designed will record the max and average speed but I'm hoping that if it is successful the next generation could calculate distance, calories burned etc. We are still in the prototype development stage, but I'm sure the technology has improved, as this would take 4 readings per sec. There would be no service fees, or computer or cell phone needed to use the device. We are trying to keep the price around the 125.00 dollar mark, but that will come down if it does well.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Feb 24, '10 12:05pm PST 
Interesting... ideal would be data to my phone... next best would be ability to download data to computer. I'd love to be able to track path and instantaneous velocity smile

OK... would settle for max and avg speed... wink
[notify]
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Wed Feb 24, '10 1:28pm PST 
Zoomies per minute laugh out loud
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Wed Feb 24, '10 4:31pm PST 
If it could also be a technology that in addition to all the fitness/speed stuff (which is quite cool, btw) you could make it small and light weight enough to be a permanent addition to a collar and that you'd be able to track it if the dog were ever to get lost. I think that'd be pretty cool.
[notify]
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Wed Feb 24, '10 9:59pm PST 
As an IG owner, I'd be interested... but it would depend on how large it was... tiny necks. I'm sure other coursing people would be interested. Sure beats a stop watch and pacing out distances.
[notify]
Olive

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 9:43am PST 
The size would be about 1.5 wide by 2 inches long by .75 inches deep. It would come with a collar, but would also fit most standard collars. We would love to eventually make it even smaller, but we are limited by technology and price. We need to keep the price affordable. It wouldn't track your dog, but if you are interested there are tracking gps units (which will also track speed as a secondary feature) out there which cost about 400 - 600 dollars or there are a few cheaper options around 200.00 but you need a service plan (20.oo a month). My sister and I got into this because as dog owners we were looking for a way to track our dogs speed. Our only options out there are gps tracking units that seemed way too complex and expensive for our specific needs. So what we are trying to figure out is if there is enough people out there that are interested in tracking speed to justify a product devoted to just that. Thanks so much for all your input, please keep the comments and suggestions coming!!
[notify]
Grady

Disc Dogs rock!

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 12:13pm PST 
I think this is a great idea, but... We held a fastest dog contest in our club this past year and spent considerable time trying to figure out how to tell speed. With GPS it was not sensitive enough to track speed over a 100 yard field. We found it truly needed close to 1/4 mile to get a good reading. We tried a radar gun that was also hard to get a dependable reading when aimed at a dog (as usual some times the trees moved faster than the dog). We ultimately had to go with timed distance to get what we felt was as accurate as possible. I think this would work great for lost dogs. This would be great to have if it were accurate and reliable I would buy it and probably pay in the area of price you are talking about.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2