GO!

Fermented Dog Food by Balance Diet?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dusty

Pooh Bear

Barked: Tue Feb 9, '10 4:30pm PST 
Hi Everyone:
Has anyone ever tried or heard of this food?
It's fermented.
balancediet.com

Edited by author Thu Feb 11, '10 6:35pm PST

[notify]
Sparky

Sparks Will Fly!

Barked: Wed Feb 10, '10 2:41am PST 
fermented anything dosnt sound good to me!
[notify]
Dusty

Pooh Bear

Barked: Wed Feb 10, '10 6:08pm PST 
why exactly? This company claims that their food is really great. But, if it's so great and fermentation is so great, how come no one else does it?

I ordered it, it smells like horse manure and fecal.
They say it's supposed to have an odor that's from the fermentation.

Any thoughts????
[notify]

Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Feb 10, '10 6:28pm PST 
Sparky, really? So you don't drink any alcohol, or have any yogurt or cheese? smile

I went to that site and I saw that one of their ingredients, what they call VMIXX, is fermented.. but it's only a portion of the ingredients they add, like people may add yogurt (fermented product) to a dog's food. Anyway, to me the ingredients for the one dog food I saw, looked fine:

"Chicken, Beef, Chicken liver, Beef Liver, Beef Tripe, Bone Marrow, Eggs, Ground Bone, Carrots, Oranges, Purple Cabbage, Spinach, Apples, Tomatoes, Beets, Alfalfa, Spirulina, Turnip Greens, Kale, Green Cabbage, Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Sweet potato, Yams, Celery, Grapefruit, Papaya, Pineapple, Chard, Collard greens, Mango, Bean Sprouts, Summer squash, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Grapes, Peaches, Blueberries, Black Berries, Cherries, Limes, Kamut Grass, Ginger Root, Cucumbers, Strawberries, Aloe Vera, Radish, Shi-take Mushroom, Reishi Mushroom, Thyme, Garlic, Astragalus, Parsley, Cumin, Yucca, Dandelion Root, Sage, (chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine), Ginseng and Chicory. cider vinegar. (Preserved by natural antioxidants, and live probiotics in a perfect pH. Balance: 4.3)"

I think if this does include live probiotics (not dried), the reason that more companies don't do this is because not many companies make the food fresh, as this company claims. A dried food obviously can't contain wet, fermenting cultures, and most wet food is canned (heat processed).

Edited by author Wed Feb 10, '10 6:32pm PST

[notify]

Other posts by this user

Barked: Wed Feb 10, '10 7:03pm PST 
Chicken, beef, grade AA eggs, chicken liver, beef liver, tripe, bone marrow, ground bone, alfalfa, salmon, carrot apple, orange grapefruit garlic, avocado, tomato, spirulina spinach, broccoli, turnip greens, blueberry, shiitake mushroom, bean sprouts, berry grass, cider vinegar. (Preserved by a natural PH. Balance)

Looks good to me!
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Feb 10, '10 8:36pm PST 
What is the consistency like? Just curious.smile
[notify]
Dusty

Pooh Bear

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 5:27am PST 
It looks like a kibble, but it's soft. The worst thing is it smells so awful. Really awful. That's what I'm concerned about. How could something with good ingredients smell so horrible? they tell me it's due to the fermentation process. ?????
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 5:30am PST 
BOL, I'd go ahead and feed it. I'd say it has more to do with the fact that you just aren't used to the smell of tripe - and it's up there among the first 4 ingredients. That's how tripe smells - like a barnyard... LOL.. but the dogs LOVE it.
[notify]
Boston

King of- everything

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 5:39am PST 
The smellier the better I always say.smile I think it looks really good. I have seen this food before. It looks so awesome to me but its expensive I thought. What does fermination mean anyways? Anyways enjoy!blue dog
[notify]
Dusty

Pooh Bear

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 6:14am PST 
They told me the fermentation has to do with the drying process. it's not cooked like other foods, it's like sun/air dried.
For 30 pounds I paid $69.99 then FED EX bills you separately for the shipping, which was a lot I thought $36.00 to come to NJ. So $70 for food then almost half of that for shipping. Kind of expensive, but for 3 dogs it should last me about 5-6 weeks.

Another issue is once you order it, it takes them about a week before they even ship it, then a week to get it, so you have to allow at least 2 weeks in advance.
Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2