GO!

Why do I eat rocks?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stewball

PLEASE pet me!!

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 8:20am PST 
Anyone know why a doggie would like to eat rocks? Dad thinks it's because I'm on a "low carb" food (Innova Evo) and not getting enough cereal/corn. Mom doesn't think that's right.

Any ideas?
Hucky

Have Teeth, will- Chew

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 12:25pm PST 
Maybe cause you're part labs and they eat everything. I always wanted to know why Hucky ate through my house and pulled out the itcy insulation. shrugI saw Huck with something in his mouth this weekend and I told him to drop it. Guess what he spit out of his mouth, a rock.
[notify]
Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 12:41pm PST 
Dogs are carnivores, so you are certainly not suffering from a dearth of grains/carbs in your diet.
[notify]

Lantis

I love small- dogs..

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 1:34pm PST 
Although the two answers above probably weren't want you wanted to hear, I agree.

Why do dogs eat anything that is clearly unedible? Why did Lantis eat a face towel whole? confusedshrug

I would have to caution, of course as you probably already do, to not let him go near small rocks he could swallow anymore.
[notify]
Sierra

Running- ridiculously- fast is my- favorite

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 1:41pm PST 
Well I'm no expert, but I highly doubt it has anything to do with corn. Aside from corn being something that shouldn't be in a dog's diet to begin with, Sierra ate rocks as a puppy and she was eating food with corn in it (this was pre-Dogster of course) - so there was no link there in our case.
I do offer my condolences as the mother of a puppy who also ingested rocks. I spent more time than I care to think of, down on my hands and knees, pulling tiny rocks out of her poopy, puppy tush because she couldn't get them out herself. red face
[notify]
Bubbles- (1997 - 2012)

Moan, it gets- you places.

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 1:43pm PST 
Because you are a pittie and that's how we roll.

Seriously, though, try to stop it. The vet says I have the worst, most degraded teeth she has ever seen in her entire career and its all from rock chewing.

I have no canines left and all the teeth in back look just like human morals, completely worn down to nubbies. Don't want to end up like me and gum your food.
[notify]
Lantis

I love small- dogs..

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 1:45pm PST 
" Because you are a pittie and that's how we roll"... laugh out loud
[notify]
Stewball

PLEASE pet me!!

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 3:42pm PST 
Looks like we might have to go rock collecting! Forget about poop scooping... now we're rock scooping. wink

Well mom knew the corn thing was far fetched... dad was probably thinking it had something to do with fiber or something.
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 3:45pm PST 
Hi Stewball!

Teddy used to eat rocks ALL the time when he was teething. Maybe it just feels good to Stewball. I totally know what is like to go to scoop a poo and realize is 80% rock. Teddy luckily never had any issues, but if the rock is too big, it can cause an obstruction. I would work on a solid "leave it" and "drop it" since you can't really avoid seeing rocks every day.
[notify]
Alfie

We don't- doodle!!

Barked: Mon Feb 1, '10 4:03pm PST 
Sadly, it is not always funny. I had a lab who persisted in eating rocks. TWICE she had surgery to remove them from her intestine, the third time she ruptured her intestines and died on the table. She was never left alone outside, she was walked on a leash, but she apparently found them while swimming and just being a dog.
On a happier note we used to board a golden retriever. One time when his owners brought him in they told us he was dying of stomach cancer. There were so many huge tumors on x-ray that the vet didn't even try to operate. While the dog was boarding he vomited five HUGE round rocks... yup... the five tumors on x-ray were the rocks in his stomach!!!

Edited by author Mon Feb 1, '10 4:04pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2