GO!

Turkey neck

This is the place to share your best homemade dog food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your dog's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Fri Jan 29, '10 9:00pm PST 
I am cooking a turkey this weekend and was wondering if the turkey neck was ok for Samson if it was cooked? I hate throwing that stuff away if he could have it.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Fri Jan 29, '10 9:24pm PST 
I wouldn't give it cooked.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Fri Jan 29, '10 9:41pm PST 
You can pick the meat off and give it to him. I am too impatient for that sort of thing, DH is good at it though. Cooked bones are a bad idea and a raw turkey neck is an unfortunate shape for inexperienced bone eaters.

My two highly recommend the liver, gizzard and heart as well. You might want to chop up the cooked gizzard though. It is delicious but tough.
[notify]

Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Sat Jan 30, '10 10:48am PST 
Turkey necks and similar bones are a staple in the raw diet, as far as I know. It is not safe cooked, but raw it's definitely good! I feed a promarilly kibble diet, but do give RMB's (raw meaty bones) once a week. If you aren't comfortable with the RMB thing, just cook and pull the meat off, but don't give the bone cooked.

Edited by author Sat Jan 30, '10 10:49am PST

[notify]
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Sat Jan 30, '10 6:49pm PST 
Thank you. If it grosses me out to much to give raw, I will cook it and pull the meat off.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jan 30, '10 8:11pm PST 
A turkey neck is a bad shape for a dog his size. Max is about a third Samson's size, 38 pounds? Long ago, when he was fairly new at raw food I gave him a chicken neck. It went down whole and completely unchewed. It went through fine but it could have caused problems. If you choose to feed it raw you might want to hold on to it so it gets a couple chomps before it goes down the hatch.
[notify]
Roxanne

Roxanne should- have been named- Tigger.

Barked: Tue Feb 9, '10 10:05am PST 
Roxy eats turkey necks almost every day, raw of course. My supermarket gets them in and cuts them up into 5 or 6 inch long pieces. Along with heart and chicken backs, turkey necks are her favourite.dog
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Feb 9, '10 11:27am PST 
Max loves chicken backs too. They are just right. We don't find turkey necks at good prices here so don't get to feed them often. Never from the whole bird, they go in the stock pot to make broth for the turkey gravy. Too bad dogs!
[notify]
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 5:28am PST 
I thought I would let you know I did brave up and gave it to him raw since I was going to be here to keep an eye on him. He had a good time tossing it around in the snow like a toy and carrying it around, but he never ate it. After a couple hours I took it away when he wasn't looking at threw it away. Yeah, he is kind of wierd.dancing
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Thu Feb 11, '10 7:07am PST 
That's okay. You have bought more expensive toys that weren't as much fun. Right?

If it didn't get stinky you could have put it back into the frig for another session of toss and catch.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2